HELP: Slow response when LAN connection enabled. - Network

This is a discussion on HELP: Slow response when LAN connection enabled. - Network ; Hi, I experienced delays in response when clicking "open file window" (i.e. the window which we normally click which drive\folder to locate and open file). After a click, may take a few second before it would respond. We found that ...

  1. HELP: Slow response when LAN connection enabled.

    Hi,

    I experienced delays in response when clicking "open file window" (i.e. the
    window which we normally click which drive\folder to locate and open file).
    After a click, may take a few second before it would respond.

    We found that the symptom is gone if we temporarily disable the LAN
    connection. But I don't know what is the possible cause and how to solve the
    issue permanently?

    Your expertise is much appreciated.

    thanks,
    jack ling

  2. Re: Slow response when LAN connection enabled.

    Sometimes this can be cause by having a mapped drive enabled that is either
    not available or across a slow network link. Also possible is that there is
    a disk in the CDROM and it is being read. When you open explorer (or the
    browse file/folder dialogue box) all drives are enumerated (both local and
    redirected). Thus, if your LAN is disconnected and there is no LAN drive to
    enumerate, you delay does not occur Investigate what networked drive
    may (or may not) exist and verify their availability. Also ensure that your
    DNS or WINS services are correctly configured. If DNS or WINS is being
    queried and there is a delay, then it will exhibit the same behavior.
    Cheers!

    "Jacko" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >

    > I experienced delays in response when clicking "open file window" (i.e.

    the
    > window which we normally click which drive\folder to locate and open

    file).
    > After a click, may take a few second before it would respond.
    >
    > We found that the symptom is gone if we temporarily disable the LAN
    > connection. But I don't know what is the possible cause and how to solve

    the
    > issue permanently?
    >
    > Your expertise is much appreciated.
    >
    > thanks,