Problem setting up a small XP network - Network

This is a discussion on Problem setting up a small XP network - Network ; I have recently purchased a lapto PC and am attempting to network it with my desktop machine. The Desktop is running XP Pro and the laptop XP Home. The 2 PCs are connected with a new crossover cable. The laptop ...

  1. Problem setting up a small XP network

    I have recently purchased a lapto PC and am attempting to network it with my
    desktop machine.
    The Desktop is running XP Pro and the laptop XP Home.
    The 2 PCs are connected with a new crossover cable.
    The laptop will ruun the netowrking wizard but the desktop falls over when
    running the networking wizard - it says unable to complete - use manual
    network configurations - how do I manage that?

  2. Re: Problem setting up a small XP network

    Blackshadow wrote:
    > I have recently purchased a lapto PC and am attempting to network it with my
    > desktop machine.
    > The Desktop is running XP Pro and the laptop XP Home.
    > The 2 PCs are connected with a new crossover cable.
    > The laptop will ruun the netowrking wizard but the desktop falls over when
    > running the networking wizard - it says unable to complete - use manual
    > network configurations - how do I manage that?

    Give each machine a static IP in the same subnet, such as:
    Machine 1: 192.168.1.1
    Machine 2: 192.168.1.2

  3. Re: Problem setting up a small XP network

    Jerry Park wrote:

    > Blackshadow wrote:
    >
    >> I have recently purchased a lapto PC and am attempting to network it
    >> with my
    >> desktop machine.
    >> The Desktop is running XP Pro and the laptop XP Home.
    >> The 2 PCs are connected with a new crossover cable.
    >> The laptop will ruun the netowrking wizard but the desktop falls over
    >> when
    >> running the networking wizard - it says unable to complete - use manual
    >> network configurations - how do I manage that?
    >>

    > Give each machine a static IP in the same subnet, such as:
    > Machine 1: 192.168.1.1
    > Machine 2: 192.168.1.2

    I didn't really say how to do that did I?

    Start|Connect To|Show all connections

    Select your Local Area Connection

    Right Click on it and choose Properties

    Select the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item

    Choose Properties

    Click the 'Use the followint IP address:' radio button

    Enter the IP address as 192.168.1.X (where X is 1 or 2)

    For the Subnet mask, enter 255.255.255.0

    You don't really have a gateway since you are not connecting to a
    network. Same with DNS servers, etc.

    I believe that will work. Haven't tested that setup lately ....

+ Reply to Thread