Home web hosting - Network

This is a discussion on Home web hosting - Network ; Hi, I have a LAN set up behind an ADSL wireless router (d-link DSL-604+). I also have Tomcat set up on a machine which I would like to use to host web pages viewable from the outside world. I'm having ...

  1. Home web hosting

    Hi,
    I have a LAN set up behind an ADSL wireless router (d-link DSL-604+). I also
    have Tomcat set up on a machine which I would like to use to host web pages
    viewable from the outside world. I'm having trouble connecting to the
    internal address however, from the outside world. From the admin screen in
    the router preferences there is the option of port redirection and I have
    tried to set the start port to 80 and the end port to 8080 (and various
    other combinations of this) but to no avail. Does anyone else know how to
    get this working?

    Thanks,

  2. Re: Home web hosting

    How are you able to connect to your router from outside? Make sure
    that you're using the correct IP, or dynamic dns.

    Is the machine using a static internal IP? Otherwise, you won't know
    the address to forward to.

    Also, make sure that the machine running Tomcat isn't running a
    firewall. I'm not sure if you're running Windows or Linux, but some
    Linux machines come with a pretty strict firewall installed. I had to
    disable some of it to allow connections.

    You seem to be on the right track. I hope some of this helped.