Web Hosting Setup Question - Network

This is a discussion on Web Hosting Setup Question - Network ; Hey I want to use 2 computers as web servers... thinking about starting a small hosting service. Here is my issue... I have a Cable modem attached to a netgear router FVS318, which is a has a VPN / Firewall ...

  1. Web Hosting Setup Question

    Hey I want to use 2 computers as web servers... thinking about
    starting a small hosting service. Here is my issue... I have a Cable
    modem attached to a netgear router FVS318, which is a has a VPN /
    Firewall / 8-port switch. If I want to run them both Web servers on
    port 80 how do I direct the request to the appropriate server? I know
    I would need 2 external IP addresses.. but the router only supports 1
    WAN IP address. Is this impossible to do with my current
    architecture? Do I need to get a better router for this task? Are
    there any solutions?

  2. Re: Web Hosting Setup Question

    just think a little question http://you.wan.ip:80/ ,
    which computer will goes to?
    Just have 1 IP and want to have a hosting service company??? really terrible

    "SoftwareGod"
    ???????:bede1f9.0310092055.efdadba@posting.google. com...
    > Hey I want to use 2 computers as web servers... thinking about
    > starting a small hosting service. Here is my issue... I have a Cable
    > modem attached to a netgear router FVS318, which is a has a VPN /
    > Firewall / 8-port switch. If I want to run them both Web servers on
    > port 80 how do I direct the request to the appropriate server? I know
    > I would need 2 external IP addresses.. but the router only supports 1
    > WAN IP address. Is this impossible to do with my current
    > architecture? Do I need to get a better router for this task? Are
    > there any solutions?

  3. Re: Web Hosting Setup Question

    I asked for help or solutions to my problem not critisism... so if
    you aren't intelligent enough to offer input then just keep things to
    yourself.

    If you actually READ my orginal posting you will see that I said small
    hosting service... mainly for friends and family.

    I only plan on starting with one web server.. and yes I can use the
    same IP for multiple domains using HOST HEADERS. I am just wondering
    how I would expand my setup if I needed to bring on another Web
    server.

    "nn64" wrote in message news:...
    > just think a little question http://you.wan.ip:80/ ,
    > which computer will goes to?
    > Just have 1 IP and want to have a hosting service company??? really terrible
    >
    > "SoftwareGod"
    > ???????:bede1f9.0310092055.efdadba@posting.google. com...
    > > Hey I want to use 2 computers as web servers... thinking about
    > > starting a small hosting service. Here is my issue... I have a Cable
    > > modem attached to a netgear router FVS318, which is a has a VPN /
    > > Firewall / 8-port switch. If I want to run them both Web servers on
    > > port 80 how do I direct the request to the appropriate server? I know
    > > I would need 2 external IP addresses.. but the router only supports 1
    > > WAN IP address. Is this impossible to do with my current
    > > architecture? Do I need to get a better router for this task? Are
    > > there any solutions?

  4. Re: Web Hosting Setup Question

    I know the answer and how to do that, but sorry, don't want to tell you.

    "SoftwareGod"
    ???????:bede1f9.0310100706.43fd297d@posting.google .com...

    > > just think a little question http://you.wan.ip:80/ ,
    > > which computer will goes to?
    > > Just have 1 IP and want to have a hosting service company??? really

    terrible

    > > "SoftwareGod"
    > > ???????:bede1f9.0310092055.efdadba@posting.google. com...
    > > > Hey I want to use 2 computers as web servers... thinking about
    > > > starting a small hosting service. Here is my issue... I have a Cable
    > > > modem attached to a netgear router FVS318, which is a has a VPN /
    > > > Firewall / 8-port switch. If I want to run them both Web servers on
    > > > port 80 how do I direct the request to the appropriate server? I know
    > > > I would need 2 external IP addresses.. but the router only supports 1
    > > > WAN IP address. Is this impossible to do with my current
    > > > architecture? Do I need to get a better router for this task? Are
    > > > there any solutions?

  5. Re: Web Hosting Setup Question

    HOST HEADERS... hahaha... you mean virtual host ma..
    but... OK as you think I am not intelligent enough la..

    > > just think a little question http://you.wan.ip:80/ ,
    > > which computer will goes to?
    > > Just have 1 IP and want to have a hosting service company??? really

    terrible

    > > "SoftwareGod"
    > > ???????:bede1f9.0310092055.efdadba@posting.google. com...
    > > > Hey I want to use 2 computers as web servers... thinking about
    > > > starting a small hosting service. Here is my issue... I have a Cable
    > > > modem attached to a netgear router FVS318, which is a has a VPN /
    > > > Firewall / 8-port switch. If I want to run them both Web servers on
    > > > port 80 how do I direct the request to the appropriate server? I know
    > > > I would need 2 external IP addresses.. but the router only supports 1
    > > > WAN IP address. Is this impossible to do with my current
    > > > architecture? Do I need to get a better router for this task? Are
    > > > there any solutions?

  6. Re: Web Hosting Setup Question

    actually my first sentense:
    >>>just think a little question http://you.wan.ip:80/ , which computer

    will goes to?
    have already answer you half of the question, just you are thinking in a
    critisism way.
    you just mix up the routing and the content redirect, one is in network
    layer another is
    in more application stuff..

    > > just think a little question http://you.wan.ip:80/ ,
    > > which computer will goes to?
    > > Just have 1 IP and want to have a hosting service company??? really

    terrible

    > > "SoftwareGod"
    > > ???????:bede1f9.0310092055.efdadba@posting.google. com...
    > > > Hey I want to use 2 computers as web servers... thinking about
    > > > starting a small hosting service. Here is my issue... I have a Cable
    > > > modem attached to a netgear router FVS318, which is a has a VPN /
    > > > Firewall / 8-port switch. If I want to run them both Web servers on
    > > > port 80 how do I direct the request to the appropriate server? I know
    > > > I would need 2 external IP addresses.. but the router only supports 1
    > > > WAN IP address. Is this impossible to do with my current
    > > > architecture? Do I need to get a better router for this task? Are
    > > > there any solutions?

+ Reply to Thread