Unsolvable problem - at least for me.... - Network

This is a discussion on Unsolvable problem - at least for me.... - Network ; Hi all, this one is all about collisions... lots of it. I have a small LAN (4 PCs, two XP Pro, one 2000 Server and one 98), all linked by RJ45s (CAT5) to a 10Mb Encore hub. One of the ...

  1. Unsolvable problem - at least for me....

    Hi all,

    this one is all about collisions... lots of it.

    I have a small LAN (4 PCs, two XP Pro, one 2000 Server and one 98),
    all linked by RJ45s (CAT5) to a 10Mb Encore hub.

    One of the XP machines is the gateway to the Inet via cable. It has
    two
    NICs and the 2nd NIC goes to the hub.

    All NICs except the cable-connected are 10/100, the cable one is 10.

    The LAN is just perfect for Inet and light traffic, but on every file
    transfer from any machine to any machine the hub goes crazy on the
    collision lights and a simple (1MB) file can take minutes to
    transfer...

    Ive tried lots of things, including setting all IPs to fixed numbers
    (they were DHCPd from the Inet machine); setting the NICs to 10 half
    and 10 full; installing all kinds of protocols (like IPX & NetBIOS);
    and of course swapping the hub itself and the cables.

    The funny thing is, if i hook JUST TWO machines to the hub, transfers
    are blazing fast (well, as blazing as a 10Mb transfer can be hehehe).
    And this applies to ANY combination of machines. When I plug a 3rd
    cable to the hub, the problem reappears.

    I hope there is an answer out there... I really do

    Any help is really appreciated.

    TIA
    Stanley

  2. Re: Unsolvable problem - at least for me....

    jstedile@hotmail.com (Stanley) wrote in message news:<1065a50f.0310071521.6348a5d5@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > this one is all about collisions... lots of it.
    >
    > I have a small LAN (4 PCs, two XP Pro, one 2000 Server and one 98),
    > all linked by RJ45s (CAT5) to a 10Mb Encore hub.
    >
    > One of the XP machines is the gateway to the Inet via cable. It has
    > two
    > NICs and the 2nd NIC goes to the hub.
    >
    > All NICs except the cable-connected are 10/100, the cable one is 10.
    >
    > The LAN is just perfect for Inet and light traffic, but on every file
    > transfer from any machine to any machine the hub goes crazy on the
    > collision lights and a simple (1MB) file can take minutes to
    > transfer...
    >
    > Ive tried lots of things, including setting all IPs to fixed numbers
    > (they were DHCPd from the Inet machine); setting the NICs to 10 half
    > and 10 full; installing all kinds of protocols (like IPX & NetBIOS);
    > and of course swapping the hub itself and the cables.
    >
    > The funny thing is, if i hook JUST TWO machines to the hub, transfers
    > are blazing fast (well, as blazing as a 10Mb transfer can be hehehe).
    > And this applies to ANY combination of machines. When I plug a 3rd
    > cable to the hub, the problem reappears.
    >
    > I hope there is an answer out there... I really do
    >
    > Any help is really appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    > Stanley

    The last paragraph is the key - you have a duplex mismatch. If you are
    connecting via a hub you need to set all NICs to half duplex. Full
    duplex is used when there are only 2 devices e.g. PC to PC or PC to
    switch port. In your case full duplex is OK when there are only 2
    devices but any more and you get constant collisions which as you have
    discovered kills performance.

    Even if only one NIC is set to full duplex it will cause your problem.

    Brian

  3. Re: Unsolvable problem - at least for me....

    jstedile@hotmail.com (Stanley) wrote in message news:<1065a50f.0310071521.6348a5d5@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > this one is all about collisions... lots of it.
    >
    > I have a small LAN (4 PCs, two XP Pro, one 2000 Server and one 98),
    > all linked by RJ45s (CAT5) to a 10Mb Encore hub.
    >
    > One of the XP machines is the gateway to the Inet via cable. It has
    > two
    > NICs and the 2nd NIC goes to the hub.
    >
    > All NICs except the cable-connected are 10/100, the cable one is 10.
    >
    > The LAN is just perfect for Inet and light traffic, but on every file
    > transfer from any machine to any machine the hub goes crazy on the
    > collision lights and a simple (1MB) file can take minutes to
    > transfer...
    >
    > Ive tried lots of things, including setting all IPs to fixed numbers
    > (they were DHCPd from the Inet machine); setting the NICs to 10 half
    > and 10 full; installing all kinds of protocols (like IPX & NetBIOS);
    > and of course swapping the hub itself and the cables.
    >
    > The funny thing is, if i hook JUST TWO machines to the hub, transfers
    > are blazing fast (well, as blazing as a 10Mb transfer can be hehehe).
    > And this applies to ANY combination of machines. When I plug a 3rd
    > cable to the hub, the problem reappears.
    >
    > I hope there is an answer out there... I really do
    >
    > Any help is really appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    > Stanley

    Yeah, buy a router. Will fix those collisions right up

    Matt

  4. Re: Unsolvable problem - at least for me....

    I think Ive tried that, but not sure... will try it again, Ill let
    you know the outcome.

    Thanks for your help
    Regards,
    Stanley

    blh_9@hotmail.com (BLH) wrote in message news:...
    > jstedile@hotmail.com (Stanley) wrote in message news:<1065a50f.0310071521.6348a5d5@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > this one is all about collisions... lots of it.
    > >
    > > I have a small LAN (4 PCs, two XP Pro, one 2000 Server and one 98),
    > > all linked by RJ45s (CAT5) to a 10Mb Encore hub.
    > >
    > > One of the XP machines is the gateway to the Inet via cable. It has
    > > two
    > > NICs and the 2nd NIC goes to the hub.
    > >
    > > All NICs except the cable-connected are 10/100, the cable one is 10.
    > >
    > > The LAN is just perfect for Inet and light traffic, but on every file
    > > transfer from any machine to any machine the hub goes crazy on the
    > > collision lights and a simple (1MB) file can take minutes to
    > > transfer...
    > >
    > > Ive tried lots of things, including setting all IPs to fixed numbers
    > > (they were DHCPd from the Inet machine); setting the NICs to 10 half
    > > and 10 full; installing all kinds of protocols (like IPX & NetBIOS);
    > > and of course swapping the hub itself and the cables.
    > >
    > > The funny thing is, if i hook JUST TWO machines to the hub, transfers
    > > are blazing fast (well, as blazing as a 10Mb transfer can be hehehe).
    > > And this applies to ANY combination of machines. When I plug a 3rd
    > > cable to the hub, the problem reappears.
    > >
    > > I hope there is an answer out there... I really do
    > >
    > > Any help is really appreciated.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Stanley

    > The last paragraph is the key - you have a duplex mismatch. If you are
    > connecting via a hub you need to set all NICs to half duplex. Full
    > duplex is used when there are only 2 devices e.g. PC to PC or PC to
    > switch port. In your case full duplex is OK when there are only 2
    > devices but any more and you get constant collisions which as you have
    > discovered kills performance.
    >
    > Even if only one NIC is set to full duplex it will cause your problem.
    >
    > Brian

  5. Re: Unsolvable problem - at least for me....

    Ok, tried this to no effect. All NICs on half duplex, still the same
    problem...

    During the transfer, only the lights of the two computers involved flash
    once or twice, then collision blinks. Then the two lights, then collision
    again. Over and over...

    Any other thoughts?

    TIA
    Stanley

    blh_9@hotmail.com (BLH) wrote in message news:...
    > jstedile@hotmail.com (Stanley) wrote in message news:<1065a50f.0310071521.6348a5d5@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > this one is all about collisions... lots of it.
    > >
    > > I have a small LAN (4 PCs, two XP Pro, one 2000 Server and one 98),
    > > all linked by RJ45s (CAT5) to a 10Mb Encore hub.
    > >
    > > One of the XP machines is the gateway to the Inet via cable. It has
    > > two
    > > NICs and the 2nd NIC goes to the hub.
    > >
    > > All NICs except the cable-connected are 10/100, the cable one is 10.
    > >
    > > The LAN is just perfect for Inet and light traffic, but on every file
    > > transfer from any machine to any machine the hub goes crazy on the
    > > collision lights and a simple (1MB) file can take minutes to
    > > transfer...
    > >
    > > Ive tried lots of things, including setting all IPs to fixed numbers
    > > (they were DHCPd from the Inet machine); setting the NICs to 10 half
    > > and 10 full; installing all kinds of protocols (like IPX & NetBIOS);
    > > and of course swapping the hub itself and the cables.
    > >
    > > The funny thing is, if i hook JUST TWO machines to the hub, transfers
    > > are blazing fast (well, as blazing as a 10Mb transfer can be hehehe).
    > > And this applies to ANY combination of machines. When I plug a 3rd
    > > cable to the hub, the problem reappears.
    > >
    > > I hope there is an answer out there... I really do
    > >
    > > Any help is really appreciated.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Stanley

    > The last paragraph is the key - you have a duplex mismatch. If you are
    > connecting via a hub you need to set all NICs to half duplex. Full
    > duplex is used when there are only 2 devices e.g. PC to PC or PC to
    > switch port. In your case full duplex is OK when there are only 2
    > devices but any more and you get constant collisions which as you have
    > discovered kills performance.
    >
    > Even if only one NIC is set to full duplex it will cause your problem.
    >
    > Brian

  6. Re: Unsolvable problem - at least for me....

    "Matt Hayes" wrote in message
    news:70f494d3.0310080900.3fd6965@posting.google.co m...
    > jstedile@hotmail.com (Stanley) wrote in message

    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > this one is all about collisions... lots of it.
    > >
    > > I have a small LAN (4 PCs, two XP Pro, one 2000 Server and one 98),
    > > all linked by RJ45s (CAT5) to a 10Mb Encore hub.
    > >
    > > One of the XP machines is the gateway to the Inet via cable. It has
    > > two
    > > NICs and the 2nd NIC goes to the hub.
    > >
    > > All NICs except the cable-connected are 10/100, the cable one is 10.
    > >
    > > The LAN is just perfect for Inet and light traffic, but on every file
    > > transfer from any machine to any machine the hub goes crazy on the
    > > collision lights and a simple (1MB) file can take minutes to
    > > transfer...
    > >
    > > Ive tried lots of things, including setting all IPs to fixed numbers
    > > (they were DHCPd from the Inet machine); setting the NICs to 10 half
    > > and 10 full; installing all kinds of protocols (like IPX & NetBIOS);
    > > and of course swapping the hub itself and the cables.
    > >
    > > The funny thing is, if i hook JUST TWO machines to the hub, transfers
    > > are blazing fast (well, as blazing as a 10Mb transfer can be hehehe).
    > > And this applies to ANY combination of machines. When I plug a 3rd
    > > cable to the hub, the problem reappears.
    > >
    > > I hope there is an answer out there... I really do
    > >
    > > Any help is really appreciated.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Stanley

    > Yeah, buy a router. Will fix those collisions right up
    >
    > Matt

    What he meant was ' Buy a switch'.

    Barry.

  7. Re: Unsolvable problem - at least for me....

    Buy a cheap linksys 5 port switch and go back to full
    duplex.
    I am running almost exact setup you are 1pc with ics and
    a switch with three clients, 10gig transfer was about 20minutes.

    In article , "Barry Parker"
    wrote:
    >"Matt Hayes" wrote in message
    >news:70f494d3.0310080900.3fd6965@posting.google.co m...
    >> jstedile@hotmail.com (Stanley) wrote in message

    >> > Hi all,
    >> >
    >> > this one is all about collisions... lots of it.
    >> >
    >> > I have a small LAN (4 PCs, two XP Pro, one 2000 Server and one 98),
    >> > all linked by RJ45s (CAT5) to a 10Mb Encore hub.
    >> >
    >> > One of the XP machines is the gateway to the Inet via cable. It has
    >> > two
    >> > NICs and the 2nd NIC goes to the hub.
    >> >
    >> > All NICs except the cable-connected are 10/100, the cable one is 10.
    >> >
    >> > The LAN is just perfect for Inet and light traffic, but on every file
    >> > transfer from any machine to any machine the hub goes crazy on the
    >> > collision lights and a simple (1MB) file can take minutes to
    >> > transfer...
    >> >
    >> > Ive tried lots of things, including setting all IPs to fixed numbers
    >> > (they were DHCPd from the Inet machine); setting the NICs to 10 half
    >> > and 10 full; installing all kinds of protocols (like IPX & NetBIOS);
    >> > and of course swapping the hub itself and the cables.
    >> >
    >> > The funny thing is, if i hook JUST TWO machines to the hub, transfers
    >> > are blazing fast (well, as blazing as a 10Mb transfer can be hehehe).
    >> > And this applies to ANY combination of machines. When I plug a 3rd
    >> > cable to the hub, the problem reappears.
    >> >
    >> > I hope there is an answer out there... I really do
    >> >
    >> > Any help is really appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > TIA
    >> > Stanley

    >> Yeah, buy a router. Will fix those collisions right up
    >>
    >> Matt

    >What he meant was ' Buy a switch'.
    >
    >Barry.

  8. Re: Unsolvable problem - at least for me....

    bogustxtburnetga@muohio.edu wrote in message news:...
    > Buy a cheap linksys 5 port switch and go back to full
    > duplex.
    > I am running almost exact setup you are 1pc with ics and
    > a switch with three clients, 10gig transfer was about 20minutes.
    >
    > In article , "Barry Parker"
    > wrote:
    > >"Matt Hayes" wrote in message
    > >news:70f494d3.0310080900.3fd6965@posting.google.co m...
    > >> jstedile@hotmail.com (Stanley) wrote in message

    > >> Yeah, buy a router. Will fix those collisions right up
    > >>
    > >> Matt

    > >What he meant was ' Buy a switch'.
    > >
    > >Barry.

    If anyone ever read this... Ive found a solution to my problem!

    Apparently the hubs psu went the way of the dada.... two machines is OK,
    but three was too much for it. Replaced the psu and everything is good!

    Thanks for the help!
    Stanley

+ Reply to Thread