Ethernet data lenth limitation - Network

This is a discussion on Ethernet data lenth limitation - Network ; Hi all, can anybody provide me the information on what limits the minimum ( 46bytes ) and maximum ( 1500 bytes ) data length in ethernet data packet. Thanks in advance. Manikandan.P...

  1. Ethernet data lenth limitation

    Hi all,
    can anybody provide me the information on what limits the
    minimum ( 46bytes ) and maximum ( 1500 bytes ) data length in ethernet
    data packet. Thanks in advance.

    Manikandan.P

  2. Re: Ethernet data lenth limitation

    It is derived from the maximum and minimum permitted cable lengths.
    Ethernet being a CSMA-CD system, potential senders must be able to detect
    whether (a) whether the line is free to send by listening for a set time
    before sending and (b) to detecty whether a collision between their message
    and that from somebody else has occurred and back-off/resend accordingly.
    Have a look at ISO Standard 8802.3

    Chris Watts

    "Manikandan" wrote in message
    news:db7c1a11.0310062239.7bfc7622@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi all,
    > can anybody provide me the information on what limits the
    > minimum ( 46bytes ) and maximum ( 1500 bytes ) data length in ethernet
    > data packet. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Manikandan.P

+ Reply to Thread