Wireless Access Point with Port/Packet filtering support - Network

This is a discussion on Wireless Access Point with Port/Packet filtering support - Network ; Hi. I am trying to find an access point with port/packet filtering which costs less than $100. Is it possible to use those cheap wireless routers, they all offer port/packet filtering, in an access point *only* setup? (I personally doubt ...

  1. Wireless Access Point with Port/Packet filtering support

    Hi.

    I am trying to find an access point with port/packet filtering which
    costs less than $100.

    Is it possible to use those cheap wireless routers, they all offer
    port/packet filtering, in an access point *only* setup? (I personally
    doubt this.)

    I do NOT want/need MAC filtering - I need port/packet filtering. I
    also doubt that any of those wireless routers will still do their
    port/packet filtering once u turn their router part/function off ... .

    The only AP for $200 which does this is the Proxim/Orinoco AP-200, but
    that is the old 11Mbit variety.

    Does anybody know about a relat. new AP < $100 which works for this?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Wireless Access Point with Port/Packet filtering support

    flexi@myrealbox.com (Felix) wrote in message news:...
    > Hi.
    >
    > I am trying to find an access point with port/packet filtering which
    > costs less than $100.
    >
    > Is it possible to use those cheap wireless routers, they all offer
    > port/packet filtering, in an access point *only* setup? (I personally
    > doubt this.)
    >
    > I do NOT want/need MAC filtering - I need port/packet filtering. I
    > also doubt that any of those wireless routers will still do their
    > port/packet filtering once u turn their router part/function off ... .
    >
    > The only AP for $200 which does this is the Proxim/Orinoco AP-200, but
    > that is the old 11Mbit variety.
    >
    > Does anybody know about a relat. new AP < $100 which works for this?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Actually, I'd like to know an answer to this too.... I'd like to get
    one of the cheap 802.11g wireless/gateway router/LAN boxes to do the
    job of a wireless access point in my business network - my computer
    pro tells me that he doesn't know whether he can set a static IP
    address for the access point on the network if we aren't using the WAN
    port.... I was looking at the USR or Belkin DSL gateway router/802.11g
    boxes; they cost less than the plain 802.11g access points do!

    ECM

+ Reply to Thread