Connecting a Win95 computer to an XP ICS network - Network

This is a discussion on Connecting a Win95 computer to an XP ICS network - Network ; We have just set up a home network in order to share a broadband connection. Three WindowsXP computers have easily connected to the network and can share the internet connection. However, we are unable to connect a Windows95 machine as ...

  1. Connecting a Win95 computer to an XP ICS network

    We have just set up a home network in order to share a broadband
    connection. Three WindowsXP computers have easily connected to the
    network and can share the internet connection. However, we are unable
    to connect a Windows95 machine as the Intenet Connection Sharing
    wizard won't run on it. We are unable to see this computer in the
    "view workgroup computers" folder, and whenever "Entire Network" is
    clicked on the Win95 machine there is an error message. This machine
    has previously been used in a large university network, so is
    definately capable of networking. We have no idea how to fix this-can
    anyone help?
    Many thanks.

  2. Re: Connecting a Win95 computer to an XP ICS network

    I just went through this with two computers I hooked together through a
    router/switch. Output of router/switch to the hi speed DSL modem.

    First, get each computer working and reasonably happy with the hub or router
    or whatever, then go on to the networking thing.

    I had to call the tech support line of my router/switch maker and have then
    get my old computer going with the dual setup.

    It could be that you can't get your Win 95 computer to function with the
    hub/router/switch you're using, and simply need some help doing that.

+ Reply to Thread