setup guidance - Network

This is a discussion on setup guidance - Network ; I've got two pc's, one with XP Pro and one with 2000 Pro. I currently have dsl and have hooked up the modem and both boxes to a hub. My isp has told me I need to use a router ...

  1. setup guidance

    I've got two pc's, one with XP Pro and one with 2000 Pro. I currently
    have dsl and have hooked up the modem and both boxes to a hub. My isp
    has told me I need to use a router because they will only give me one
    IP address when I log in. I have a router (speedstream 5851). Is
    there anyone who can help me in setting this up? Thanks

  2. Re: setup guidance

    hey,
    yeah you do have to use the router that way you can just use DHCP to
    give your 2 machines diffrent ip addresses. you should already have
    DHCP running on you computer by default but you can check it right
    clicking on my network places, properties, highlight tcp/ip and click
    on properties. it should be set to set my ip automatically. if this
    doesnt work then you will have to find out the routers ip address and
    set your computers to a static ip which means you will have to set the
    subnet mask, ip address, and default gateway yourself. but DHCP should
    take care of it all

+ Reply to Thread