Interfacing between FDDI cards and token ring hubs - Network

This is a discussion on Interfacing between FDDI cards and token ring hubs - Network ; I've recently acquired an IBM token ring hub, which contains an expansion for what it says is a "Fibre RI/RO" module. Is this compatible with an FDDI card? I've got a Sun SparcServer 20 that has a dual FDDI card ...

  1. Interfacing between FDDI cards and token ring hubs

    I've recently acquired an IBM token ring hub, which contains an
    expansion for what it says is a "Fibre RI/RO" module. Is this
    compatible with an FDDI card? I've got a Sun SparcServer 20 that has a
    dual FDDI card on the SBUS, and want to know if I can use the Sun to
    interface between the token ring network and the regular Ethernet
    network. Any info appreciated.

  2. Re: Interfacing between FDDI cards and token ring hubs

    No - not the same as FDDI.. This is the Token Ring over fibre standard IEEE
    802.5J
    Some hubs had it inbuilt to allow them to connect hub to hub over distances
    of 2km or you could get media converters as per these links for example.
    http://www.microsens.de/uk/produkty/media_5.html
    http://www.transition.com/products/m...ken/trcf01.htm

    Chris O

    "Aleks Clark" wrote in message
    news:c880c09f.0310041525.4b752356@posting.google.c om...
    > I've recently acquired an IBM token ring hub, which contains an
    > expansion for what it says is a "Fibre RI/RO" module. Is this
    > compatible with an FDDI card? I've got a Sun SparcServer 20 that has a
    > dual FDDI card on the SBUS, and want to know if I can use the Sun to
    > interface between the token ring network and the regular Ethernet
    > network. Any info appreciated.

    ---