peer-peer network connected to the internet - Network

This is a discussion on peer-peer network connected to the internet - Network ; I have a peer-peer home network with two computers connected to the internet. One computer is windows XP the other is Windows 98. They are connected to a cable modem through a Links router. Both computers can connect to the ...

  1. peer-peer network connected to the internet

    I have a peer-peer home network with two computers connected to the
    internet. One computer is windows XP the other is Windows 98. They are
    connected to a cable modem through a Links router. Both computers can
    connect to the internet but not to each other. They are both in a
    workgroup by the same name and all the network protocols are
    configured with the correct settings. The two computers have DHCP
    configured and each are on a separate subnet with a different gateway.
    The computers can ping each other by IP address. I made an entry in
    each computers host file, but only the XP machine can ping by name. I
    would like to configure the router to assign the DHCP to each computer
    using a single Gateway address (192.168.1.1) to each and get DHCP from
    the ISP for the connection to the internet. I can't get into the
    router to configure it. I tried each Gateway address and several other
    addresses. Can anybody give me some suggestions as to how I can get
    these two computers to talk to each other or if there is a way to get
    into this router to configure it? Thanks!!

    Larry

  2. Re: peer-peer network connected to the internet

    I have an almost exact problem my self. I can't help with getting the
    computers talking (but would like to learn how you eventually manage
    it - assuming that you do). I can get into the settings of my
    router-modem by viewing the properties of the router protocol, in the
    same way you would view the tcp/ip properties in the network settings.
    You should be able to enter IP addresses etc. from there. Hope this
    helps.

  3. Re: peer-peer network connected to the internet

    ljuchems@hotmail.com (Larry) wrote in message news:...
    > I have a peer-peer home network with two computers connected to the
    > internet. One computer is windows XP the other is Windows 98. They are
    > connected to a cable modem through a Links router. Both computers can
    > connect to the internet but not to each other. They are both in a
    > workgroup by the same name and all the network protocols are
    > configured with the correct settings. The two computers have DHCP
    > configured and each are on a separate subnet with a different gateway.
    > The computers can ping each other by IP address. I made an entry in
    > each computers host file, but only the XP machine can ping by name. I
    > would like to configure the router to assign the DHCP to each computer
    > using a single Gateway address (192.168.1.1) to each and get DHCP from
    > the ISP for the connection to the internet. I can't get into the
    > router to configure it. I tried each Gateway address and several other
    > addresses. Can anybody give me some suggestions as to how I can get
    > these two computers to talk to each other or if there is a way to get
    > into this router to configure it? Thanks!!
    >
    > Larry

    if that the router provide from the ISP? if yes they usual to block
    the admin service, you can try use the tools scan the ip range gether
    which port open on the network

+ Reply to Thread