Networking with a cable modem - Network

This is a discussion on Networking with a cable modem - Network ; I am trying to network a computer and a cable modem. The operating system is windows 98. If I set the pc and the modem to obtain their own ip address, I can use 2 straight-through cables and my hub, ...

  1. Networking with a cable modem

    I am trying to network a computer and a cable modem. The operating
    system is windows 98. If I set the pc and the modem to obtain their
    own ip address, I can use 2 straight-through cables and my hub, and
    the system works. If I set static addresses they don't. Also I am
    unable to use a single cross-over cable and remove the hub - I would
    have expected this to work!

    A further problem is that I cannot add a third device (ie another pc)
    to this network at all, but this may be due to a faulty network card,
    unless anyone else thinks that there may be an alternative reason.

  2. Re: Networking with a cable modem

    jny0@hotmail.com (JNY) wrote in message news:<911672.0310010155.648c1097@posting.google.com>...
    > I am trying to network a computer and a cable modem. The operating
    > system is windows 98. If I set the pc and the modem to obtain their
    > own ip address, I can use 2 straight-through cables and my hub, and
    > the system works. If I set static addresses they don't. Also I am
    > unable to use a single cross-over cable and remove the hub - I would
    > have expected this to work!
    >
    > A further problem is that I cannot add a third device (ie another pc)
    > to this network at all, but this may be due to a faulty network card,
    > unless anyone else thinks that there may be an alternative reason.

    your modem is always on line , and use the dhcp to management ip ,

    consider use Ineternet Share function on the windows, or download the
    ip routing software (seen wingate)

+ Reply to Thread