BEFSR41v3 setup problems - Network

This is a discussion on BEFSR41v3 setup problems - Network ; I recently built a second computer and purchased a Linksys BEFSR41v3 router to share my RoadRunner connection. System 1: Win98SE, Linksys LNE100TXv5 NIC, ZoneAlarm v3.7.211 IP 192.168.1.100 (plugged into router's #2 port) System 2:Win2000Pro, onboard 3Com Gigabit (3C940), ZoneAlarm v3.7.211 ...

  1. BEFSR41v3 setup problems

    I recently built a second computer and purchased a Linksys BEFSR41v3 router
    to share my RoadRunner connection.

    System 1: Win98SE, Linksys LNE100TXv5 NIC, ZoneAlarm v3.7.211
    IP 192.168.1.100 (plugged into router's #2 port)

    System 2:Win2000Pro, onboard 3Com Gigabit (3C940), ZoneAlarm v3.7.211
    IP 192.168.1.101 (plugged into router's #1 port)

    (Both have 'Disable DNS' and 'obtain IP addr automatically' selected; and I
    added 192.168.1.1 to ZA and placed it in the 'trusted' zone)

    BEFSR41v3 settings: firmware 1.04.8 (6/20/03), 'Obtain an IP automatically'
    selected, 'Local DHCP server' enabled.

    When I first boot up, e-mail, Usenet, FTP and webpages work OK (a little lag
    on the web), but then intermittent lock-ups *always* begin. Sometimes I'll
    be using the connection while other times I'll return to find the system
    locked up. To 'unlock' I learned that I can go to the router's 'set-up'
    page (takes about 30 seconds to come up) and hit 'save changes', but after a
    minute or so all traffic (on both computers) again stops. Eventually
    (within 5-10 minutes) the connection cannot be accessed at all, and I'm
    forced to unplug the router and cable modem to reset them.

    One activity that causes a lock-up 100% of the time is when I try to
    download multiple posts in a Usenet group...after the 2nd or 3rd message
    (either text or binary) the router stops responding. This happens on *both*
    machines at about the same frequency.

    I tried contacting Linksys (after someone on the firewall NG suggested that
    about 3 weeks ago), but their 'online' support always tells me to leave a
    message, to which I haven't received any replies. Another suggestion on
    that NG was that the router itself could be defective.

    I'm hoping that simply changing the router's settings can correct the
    problem, but I don't know what to try first. Any help appreciated.

    TIA

    Oh, almost forgot: I noticed the 'internet' LED on the router flashes
    continuously and very rapidly...is this normal?
    --
    JimNSB

  2. Re: BEFSR41v3 setup problems

    JimNSB wrote in

    > When I first boot up, e-mail, Usenet, FTP and webpages work OK (a
    > little lag on the web), but then intermittent lock-ups *always*
    > begin. Sometimes I'll be using the connection while other times
    > I'll return to find the system locked up. To 'unlock' I learned
    > that I can go to the router's 'set-up' page (takes about 30
    > seconds to come up) and hit 'save changes', but after a minute or
    > so all traffic (on both computers) again stops. Eventually
    > (within 5-10 minutes) the connection cannot be accessed at all,
    > and I'm forced to unplug the router and cable modem to reset them.

    I found this in the FAQ section of the Linksys manual -- have you tried
    this? Perhaps this will help:
    --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

    (Q) The web page hangs; downloads are corrupt, or nothing but junk
    characters are being displayed on the screen. What do I need to do?

    (A) Force your Ethernet adapter to 10Mbps or half duplex mode, and turn
    off the “Auto-negotiate” feature of your Ethernet adapter as a
    temporary measure. (Please look at the Network Control Panel in your
    Ethernet adapter’s Advanced Properties tab.) Make sure that your
    proxy setting is disabled in the browser. Check our website at
    www.linksys.com for more information.

    HTH,
    John

  3. Re: BEFSR41v3 setup problems

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:46:51 GMT, John Wunderlich
    wrote:

    >I found this in the FAQ section of the Linksys manual -- have you tried
    >this? Perhaps this will help:
    >--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    >
    >(Q) The web page hangs; downloads are corrupt, or nothing but junk
    >characters are being displayed on the screen. What do I need to do?
    >
    >(A) Force your Ethernet adapter to 10Mbps or half duplex mode, and turn
    >off the “Auto-negotiate” feature of your Ethernet adapter as a
    >temporary measure. (Please look at the Network Control Panel in your
    >Ethernet adapter’s Advanced Properties tab.) Make sure that your
    >proxy setting is disabled in the browser. Check our website at
    >www.linksys.com for more information.
    >
    >HTH,
    > John

    Thanks John, but the problem described there is not what I'm experiencing at
    all. My problem is that all traffic on the network stops and does not begin
    again until I power-off (reset) the router and cable modem.

    Just for sh!ts'n'grins I gave that 'remedy' a try: the patient is still
    dead. ;o)

    I noticed that on the Linksys and ZoneLabs support websites, all references
    to my problem discuss 'ZoneAlarm Pro' and 'ZoneAlarm Plus', but I'm using
    the free version. I've spoken to 2 other folks who have a similar setup to
    mine*, and they're using the 'Pro' version...could that be a factor?

    *BEFSR41v3; RoadRunner, ZoneAlarm, & 2-4 computers.
    --
    JimNSB

  4. Re: BEFSR41v3 setup problems

    I was working on the problem from the Win98SE system and noticed something:
    on the 'WINS config' tab under network settings 'use DHCP for WINS
    resolution' is selected. Should it be?

    Also, I thought I remembered seeing something in the manual about adding the
    router's 'gateway' DNS to each computer's TCP/IP settings, but on both of my
    systems that field is empty...do I need to enter it?

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 04:04:53 GMT, JimNSB wrote:

    >I recently built a second computer and purchased a Linksys BEFSR41v3 router
    >to share my RoadRunner connection.
    >
    >System 1: Win98SE, Linksys LNE100TXv5 NIC, ZoneAlarm v3.7.211
    > IP 192.168.1.100 (plugged into router's #2 port)
    >
    >System 2:Win2000Pro, onboard 3Com Gigabit (3C940), ZoneAlarm v3.7.211
    > IP 192.168.1.101 (plugged into router's #1 port)
    >
    >(Both have 'Disable DNS' and 'obtain IP addr automatically' selected; and I
    >added 192.168.1.1 to ZA and placed it in the 'trusted' zone)
    >
    >BEFSR41v3 settings: firmware 1.04.8 (6/20/03), 'Obtain an IP automatically'
    >selected, 'Local DHCP server' enabled.

    --
    JimNSB

  5. Re: BEFSR41v3 setup problems

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 03:14:41 GMT, JimNSB wrote:

    >Also, I thought I remembered seeing something in the manual about adding the
    >router's 'gateway' DNS to each computer's TCP/IP settings, but on both of my
    >systems that field is empty...do I need to enter it?

    Disregard...I see on page 12 of the manual that this field must be left
    blank.
    --
    JimNSB

  6. Re: BEFSR41v3 setup problems

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 03:02:22 GMT, JimNSB wrote:

    >I noticed that on the Linksys and ZoneLabs support websites, all references
    >to my problem discuss 'ZoneAlarm Pro' and 'ZoneAlarm Plus', but I'm using
    >the free version. I've spoken to 2 other folks who have a similar setup to
    >mine*, and they're using the 'Pro' version...could that be a factor?

    OK, disregard *this* too. I found this in the knowledge base on the
    Linksys site:

    Q: 'Can I use ZoneAlarm instead of 'ZoneAlarm Pro'?

    A: No, ZoneAlarm will not be recognized by the router. This solution
    requires ZoneAlarm Pro, version 2.7 or higher.

    Strange that in all the responses I receieved on the firewall NG, nobody
    mentioned this!
    --
    JimNSB

+ Reply to Thread