Connecting DSL line from old network onto new network and now DSL doesn't work - Network

This is a discussion on Connecting DSL line from old network onto new network and now DSL doesn't work - Network ; Hello, We are switching over to a new server with Windows 2003 (serving as a DNS, DHCP, and file server) connected through a Linksys 8 port switch to a test workstation. This is sort of a "mini network" to make ...

  1. Connecting DSL line from old network onto new network and now DSL doesn't work

    Hello,

    We are switching over to a new server with Windows 2003 (serving as a
    DNS, DHCP, and file server) connected through a Linksys 8 port switch
    to a test workstation. This is sort of a "mini network" to make sure
    everything works before I connect more workstations.

    Our original server (using NT - which served as a file server) was
    connected to a 24 port switch on which our DSL line was also plugged
    into (from the router, which did the DHCP). The DSL works fine on
    this existing network.

    I unplugged the DSL line from our old switch (on which our current
    network is also connected to) and plugged it into our new switch (on
    the test "mini network") and I get no response. The LEDs do not light
    up, signaling that the router does not have activity/power. I go into
    Internet Explorer and go through the steps to connect through a LAN,
    but still I get no response - no lights indicating activity. I also
    get the "This Page Cannot Be Displayed in IE.

    I have tried plugging it into different ports and still I don't get a
    connection. When I plug it back into the old switch (on our existing
    network) I get the light signaling activity.

    Can you guys please give me some suggestions as to what might be
    wrong?

    Thanks in advance!
    Chris

  2. Re: Connecting DSL line from old network onto new network and now DSL doesn't work

    supernem@aol.com (Chris C.) wrote in message news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > We are switching over to a new server with Windows 2003 (serving as a
    > DNS, DHCP, and file server) connected through a Linksys 8 port switch
    > to a test workstation. This is sort of a "mini network" to make sure
    > everything works before I connect more workstations.
    >
    > Our original server (using NT - which served as a file server) was
    > connected to a 24 port switch on which our DSL line was also plugged
    > into (from the router, which did the DHCP). The DSL works fine on
    > this existing network.
    >
    > I unplugged the DSL line from our old switch (on which our current
    > network is also connected to) and plugged it into our new switch (on
    > the test "mini network") and I get no response. The LEDs do not light
    > up, signaling that the router does not have activity/power. I go into
    > Internet Explorer and go through the steps to connect through a LAN,
    > but still I get no response - no lights indicating activity. I also
    > get the "This Page Cannot Be Displayed in IE.
    >
    > I have tried plugging it into different ports and still I don't get a
    > connection. When I plug it back into the old switch (on our existing
    > network) I get the light signaling activity.
    >
    > Can you guys please give me some suggestions as to what might be
    > wrong?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > Chris

    if you put back to old network is work, it means you cable or
    coneection have the problem , please find 8 ports hub only allow 7
    workstation and 1 for the uplink , exam carefully which port you put
    on , try first or last one, if uplink lable is next on the port ,
    means you can that 2 ports can not connect together , just either one
    , and make sure did you need the cross over utp cable ?

+ Reply to Thread