Re: Connecting 2 Win2K laptops via crossover cable - Network

This is a discussion on Re: Connecting 2 Win2K laptops via crossover cable - Network ; 2 ways: 1. allign the infrared ports of the laptops opp to each other. You will find there is a prompt on both the laptops, you can send and receive the files. 2. a. Make a cross over cable, to ...

  1. Re: Connecting 2 Win2K laptops via crossover cable

    2 ways:

    1. allign the infrared ports of the laptops opp to each other. You
    will find there is a prompt on both the laptops, you can send and
    receive the files.

    2. a. Make a cross over cable, to my understanding you are just a
    user, i suggest you to buy one from the market. If not take the cat 5
    cable and two conenctors,

    1 3
    2 6
    3 1
    6 2

    connect the wires in the above way.

    b. configure the tcp/ip properties in such a way, both IPs are unique
    and share the same subnet mask.

    c. use the following command from one machine A or B

    net use * \\\c$ /user:administrator

    you will be prompted for the password of the machine B. UP on
    providing the password, the c drive on B will be mapped on A. And
    please do vice versa.

    cheers

    srihari

    msk_30339@yahoo.com (Aladdin) wrote in message news:<8316b135.0309250531.5852f4f7@posting.google.com>...
    > How would I connect 2 Win2K laptops using a crossover cable? No hub,
    > no router, no extra perhiperals. These are personal laptops, so I can
    > adjust the IP addresses, subnet masks, etc as necessary. Does anyone
    > have a step-by-step list of what I would need to do? I need to move a
    > ton of files from one to the other, and I figure this would be the
    > easiest way to do it. I know I need to set the IP and the subnet
    > masks, and at some point I need to restart the machines, but what else
    > do I need to do?
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: Connecting 2 Win2K laptops via crossover cable

    Srihari-

    Thank you for your posting. However, there is one minor detail I
    forgot to mention in my original post. My source machine does not
    have TCP/IP installed. As a result of a modem related problem, I
    uninstalled TCP/IP and was unable to successfully reinstall it. So a
    crossover cable (I happen to have one) is all but useless. I
    currently have my laptops using the IR ports to transmit data, but
    it's a very slow process. I have 20-30 GB of data to move, and it's
    taken the better part of the day to get partway through that. Is
    there a way to do this without using TCP/IP, but still getting faster
    transfer speeds?

    Thanks!

    srihari_kotni@yahoo.com (srihari rao) wrote in message news:<77305db9.0309290213.257feccf@posting.google.com>...
    > 2 ways:
    >
    > 1. allign the infrared ports of the laptops opp to each other. You
    > will find there is a prompt on both the laptops, you can send and
    > receive the files.
    >
    > 2. a. Make a cross over cable, to my understanding you are just a
    > user, i suggest you to buy one from the market. If not take the cat 5
    > cable and two conenctors,
    >
    > 1 3
    > 2 6
    > 3 1
    > 6 2
    >
    > connect the wires in the above way.
    >
    > b. configure the tcp/ip properties in such a way, both IPs are unique
    > and share the same subnet mask.
    >
    > c. use the following command from one machine A or B
    >
    > net use * \\\c$ /user:administrator
    >
    > you will be prompted for the password of the machine B. UP on
    > providing the password, the c drive on B will be mapped on A. And
    > please do vice versa.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > srihari

  3. Re: Connecting 2 Win2K laptops via crossover cable

    I don't know for sure what kind of cross over cable you have. There
    are paralell and series port cross over cables as well as networking.

    If 128 KB/sec is fast enough for you, I would go with a paralell cross
    over cable. I would use Fastlynx software in DOS. Unless you have
    NTFS partitioned disks. Which would make especially hard.

    I'm unfamiliar with Win2k. But I imagine it has DCC (direct cable
    connection) capability. Which I still think has the paralell port
    limit of 128 KB/sec. And you will be able to keep your long file
    names (unlike DOS). I think?

    On 29 Sep 2003 12:58:44 -0700, msk_30339@yahoo.com (Aladdin) wrote:

    > Srihari-
    >
    > Thank you for your posting. However, there is one minor detail I
    > forgot to mention in my original post. My source machine does not
    > have TCP/IP installed. As a result of a modem related problem, I
    > uninstalled TCP/IP and was unable to successfully reinstall it. So a
    > crossover cable (I happen to have one) is all but useless. I
    > currently have my laptops using the IR ports to transmit data, but
    > it's a very slow process. I have 20-30 GB of data to move, and it's
    > taken the better part of the day to get partway through that. Is
    > there a way to do this without using TCP/IP, but still getting faster
    > transfer speeds?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > srihari_kotni@yahoo.com (srihari rao) wrote in message news:<77305db9.0309290213.257feccf@posting.google.com>...
    > > 2 ways:
    > >
    > > 1. allign the infrared ports of the laptops opp to each other. You
    > > will find there is a prompt on both the laptops, you can send and
    > > receive the files.
    > >
    > > 2. a. Make a cross over cable, to my understanding you are just a
    > > user, i suggest you to buy one from the market. If not take the cat 5
    > > cable and two conenctors,
    > >
    > > 1 3
    > > 2 6
    > > 3 1
    > > 6 2
    > >
    > > connect the wires in the above way.
    > >
    > > b. configure the tcp/ip properties in such a way, both IPs are unique
    > > and share the same subnet mask.
    > >
    > > c. use the following command from one machine A or B
    > >
    > > net use * \\\c$ /user:administrator
    > >
    > > you will be prompted for the password of the machine B. UP on
    > > providing the password, the c drive on B will be mapped on A. And
    > > please do vice versa.
    > >
    > > cheers
    > >
    > > srihari

+ Reply to Thread