I'm stumped - Network

This is a discussion on I'm stumped - Network ; Hi all, I have a home network with 2 win 98 boxes (192.168.8.17 &18) and an old laptop running 95 (192.168.8.19) networked together through a router which is in turn connected to a DSL modem. Everything has worked fine for ...

  1. I'm stumped

    Hi all,
    I have a home network with 2 win 98 boxes (192.168.8.17 &18) and an old
    laptop running 95 (192.168.8.19) networked together through a router which
    is in turn connected to a DSL modem. Everything has worked fine for about
    6mos. All computers can share files and printers, all can access internet
    simultaneously. Now comes the tough part. While upgrading the driver for
    the AOpen 325 network card in one of my 98 boxes, my computer froze. Upon
    reboot, I could share to and view all computers on my lan but not access the
    internet. I get a DNS error. I removed the driver and reinstalled the
    original but still no internet. TCP/IP settings are the same as before, as
    are IPX/SPX and NetBEUI. I checked my router on the hunch that the access
    control feature may have come on and blocked 192.168.8.17 ( the IP of the
    box in question) - it had not. So thinking that I had perhaps fried the
    eeprom I bought a new NIC ... still no internet. Giving up, I did a full
    reinstall of 98 and now internet works.

    Question: Could I have somehow changed the port that MSIE 6 looks at for
    TCP/IP traffic, and if so how would one fix it??

    Please share any insight you may have on this matter, although I'm no longer
    out of service, it's bugging the hell out of me!

    Thanks in advance,

    Will

  2. Re: I'm stumped

    hi! its not surprising such problems on win95 kinds OS. As per my
    understanding you could share the files between the systems, and it
    was the DNS related problems that are preventing you from accessing
    the net.

    You could have followed the following for trouble shooting.

    1. Use some tools like nslookup to make sure the resolver on your
    system works fine.

    2. Use one of the other machine as a Proxy server, configure the msie
    on your trouble some machine to connect to the proxy srever for
    accessing the net. This will narrow down the problem further.

    Its very sad to realise that you had to reinstall the stuff. Thats the
    reason every one love to hate Microsoft. I too hate MS, but i still
    keep using their stuff.

    cheers

    "William Pollock" wrote in message news:<5gOcb.10542$Wd7.5610@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>...
    > Hi all,
    > I have a home network with 2 win 98 boxes (192.168.8.17 &18) and an old
    > laptop running 95 (192.168.8.19) networked together through a router which
    > is in turn connected to a DSL modem. Everything has worked fine for about
    > 6mos. All computers can share files and printers, all can access internet
    > simultaneously. Now comes the tough part. While upgrading the driver for
    > the AOpen 325 network card in one of my 98 boxes, my computer froze. Upon
    > reboot, I could share to and view all computers on my lan but not access the
    > internet. I get a DNS error. I removed the driver and reinstalled the
    > original but still no internet. TCP/IP settings are the same as before, as
    > are IPX/SPX and NetBEUI. I checked my router on the hunch that the access
    > control feature may have come on and blocked 192.168.8.17 ( the IP of the
    > box in question) - it had not. So thinking that I had perhaps fried the
    > eeprom I bought a new NIC ... still no internet. Giving up, I did a full
    > reinstall of 98 and now internet works.
    >
    > Question: Could I have somehow changed the port that MSIE 6 looks at for
    > TCP/IP traffic, and if so how would one fix it??
    >
    > Please share any insight you may have on this matter, although I'm no longer
    > out of service, it's bugging the hell out of me!
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Will

+ Reply to Thread