VPN Newbie Question - Network

This is a discussion on VPN Newbie Question - Network ; Greetings, Here is what I have. I have a WatchGuard Firebox Firewall, MS SBS 2003R and I would like to be able to logon on from home to access server resources through a VPN. I don't neccessarily want to logon ...

  1. VPN Newbie Question

    Greetings,

    Here is what I have. I have a WatchGuard Firebox Firewall, MS SBS 2003R and
    I would like to be able to logon on from home to access server resources
    through a VPN. I don't neccessarily want to logon to my desktop at work,
    just the server. I have a client application on my laptop that I want to
    connent against the server. I can establish the VPN connection, but it does
    not pass off to the server requesting logon credentials. Can someone give
    this newbie the lowdown on how to do this? Thanks.

    -lj

  2. Re: VPN Newbie Question

    Watchguard fireboxes support PPTP and IPSec VPN's natively. I'd recommend
    setting up the VPN on the firebox (I've used both PPTP and IPSec for this,
    but PPTP doesn't require a 3rd party client) and then when you request a
    resource on the server, you will be prompted for domain credentials that you
    can enter. As far as the details of setting up VPN on a firebox, you should
    refer to your documentation for the firebox, as that has changed between
    firebox models and whether you are running WFS, Fireware, Fireware Pro, etc.

    -Cliff

    "Slabchops" wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Here is what I have. I have a WatchGuard Firebox Firewall, MS SBS 2003R
    > and I would like to be able to logon on from home to access server
    > resources through a VPN. I don't neccessarily want to logon to my desktop
    > at work, just the server. I have a client application on my laptop that I
    > want to connent against the server. I can establish the VPN connection,
    > but it does not pass off to the server requesting logon credentials. Can
    > someone give this newbie the lowdown on how to do this? Thanks.
    >

    > -lj

  3. Re: VPN Newbie Question

    Hey Cliff,

    Thanks for getting back to me. I have set up the VPN with IPSec, it
    connects and all seems well. However I am not sure how to access anything
    on the server, any suggestions? thanks

    -sc

    "Cliff Galiher" wrote in message
    > Watchguard fireboxes support PPTP and IPSec VPN's natively. I'd recommend
    > setting up the VPN on the firebox (I've used both PPTP and IPSec for this,
    > but PPTP doesn't require a 3rd party client) and then when you request a
    > resource on the server, you will be prompted for domain credentials that
    > you can enter. As far as the details of setting up VPN on a firebox, you
    > should refer to your documentation for the firebox, as that has changed
    > between firebox models and whether you are running WFS, Fireware, Fireware
    > Pro, etc.
    >
    > -Cliff
    >
    > "Slabchops" wrote in message
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> Here is what I have. I have a WatchGuard Firebox Firewall, MS SBS 2003R
    >> and I would like to be able to logon on from home to access server
    >> resources through a VPN. I don't neccessarily want to logon to my
    >> desktop at work, just the server. I have a client application on my
    >> laptop that I want to connent against the server. I can establish the
    >> VPN connection, but it does not pass off to the server requesting logon
    >> credentials. Can someone give this newbie the lowdown on how to do this?
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >> -lj

  4. Re: VPN Newbie Question

    Setting up a VPN gives you an IP connection. That is all it does. It does
    not log you on to the domain. It does not automatically give you name
    resolution or browsing or file access.

    "Slabchops" wrote in message
    > Hey Cliff,
    >
    > Thanks for getting back to me. I have set up the VPN with IPSec, it
    > connects and all seems well. However I am not sure how to access anything
    > on the server, any suggestions? thanks
    >
    > -sc

  5. Re: VPN Newbie Question

    Bill,

    Being really new at this, what else should I do to get this working? What
    needs to be done on the server side to allow be to get logged in.

    -pat

    "Bill Grant" wrote in message
    > Setting up a VPN gives you an IP connection. That is all it does. It does
    > not log you on to the domain. It does not automatically give you name
    > resolution or browsing or file access.
    >
    > "Slabchops" wrote in message
    >> Hey Cliff,
    >>
    >> Thanks for getting back to me. I have set up the VPN with IPSec, it
    >> connects and all seems well. However I am not sure how to access
    >> anything on the server, any suggestions? thanks
    >>
    >> -sc

+ Reply to Thread