After using Add/Remove, now system won't boot properly - Network

This is a discussion on After using Add/Remove, now system won't boot properly - Network ; Someone I know who has a Windows XP Pro desktop computer has AOL running on it with McAfee Firewall (which is apparently tied in with the AOL). Recently, because of some access problem, the McAfee Firewall had been set to ...

  1. After using Add/Remove, now system won't boot properly

    Someone I know who has a Windows XP Pro desktop computer has AOL
    running on it with McAfee Firewall (which is apparently tied in
    with the AOL).

    Recently, because of some access problem, the McAfee Firewall had been
    set to "Allow All". (There are three settings, "Allow All" programs to
    access the internet, "Filter" (selectively allow some but not others),
    and "Allow None").

    Later, it was decided that "Allow All" would be too hazardous and that
    it should be set instead to "Filter".

    After this was done, it was discovered that no internet access at all
    was occurring. When the McAfee Firewall icon was launched, a pop-up
    window would say something like "Would you like to turn on the McAfee
    firewall service? Yes/No". When "Yes" was clicked, the box would
    vanish but reappear about three seconds later. When "Yes" was clicked
    again, the box would again vanish only to reappear about three seconds
    later. So there was apparently some infinite loop, and the only way to
    dismiss the box was to click on "No". But of course, this meant still
    no internet access. (The DSL internet line, by the way, was OK. If we
    plugged it into an alternate computer, we were able to access the
    internet just fine).

    Then we had the idea of uninstalling the McAfee Firewall. We went into
    the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs and specifed uninstall of the
    McAfee Firewall as well as a few Windows Live programs. When we
    restarted the computer, the bootup process got to the point of
    displaying the blank desktop with its textured background and was
    about to place the program icons on it but didn't actually get to that
    point. It instead just displayed the blank desktop and that was it.
    (There was no taskbar at the bottom of the screen and therefore no
    Start Menu button). There was a mouse arrow which would move if the
    mouse was moved (but there was nothing on the desktop to click on). If
    we did Ctrl+Alt+Del, a Task Manager would eventually appear after some
    long delay, but when we clicked on "Shut Down", a box came up saying
    "Ending EXPLORER" but it didn't complete and we had to click on "End
    Task", which left us still on the blank desktop.

    We were able to shut off the computer only by pressing the power
    button and holding it in for about 10 seconds.

    We then tried booting up in Safe Mode with Networking. Similar to
    before, the black desktop was displayed with nothing on it except the
    "Safe Mode" captions along the edges of the desktop, but no program
    icons on it and no taskbar at the bottom of the screen. As before, the
    only way to turn off the computer was to press and hold the power
    button for about 10 seconds.

    I'd normally think of running System Restore, but how would I do that
    under these circumstances? If I knew the .exe name and path of System
    Restore, I could try to run it from the Task Manager's "New Task
    (Run)". Does anyone know the .exe name and path of System Restore?

    Does anyone know what else could be done?

  2. Re: After using Add/Remove, now system won't boot properly

    From: "wylbur37"

> [...]
    | Task", which left us still on the blank desktop.
    |
    | We were able to shut off the computer only by pressing the power
    | button and holding it in for about 10 seconds.
    |
    | We then tried booting up in Safe Mode with Networking. Similar to
    | before, the black desktop was displayed with nothing on it except the
    | "Safe Mode" captions along the edges of the desktop, but no program
    | icons on it and no taskbar at the bottom of the screen. As before, the
    | only way to turn off the computer was to press and hold the power
    | button for about 10 seconds.
    |
    | I'd normally think of running System Restore, but how would I do that
    | under these circumstances? If I knew the .exe name and path of System
    | Restore, I could try to run it from the Task Manager's "New Task
    | (Run)". Does anyone know the .exe name and path of System Restore?
    |
    | Does anyone know what else could be done?

    Multi-Posted and Cross-Posted all over the place. Too many !

    Too annoying for me to respond.

    --
    Dave

  3. Re: After using Add/Remove, now system won't boot properly

    On Mar 11, 7:41 pm, wylbur37 wrote:
> [...]
    > Task", which left us still on the blank desktop.
    >
    > We were able to shut off the computer only by pressing the power
    > button and holding it in for about 10 seconds.
    >
    > We then tried booting up in Safe Mode with Networking. Similar to
    > before, the black desktop was displayed with nothing on it except the
    > "Safe Mode" captions along the edges of the desktop, but no program
    > icons on it and no taskbar at the bottom of the screen. As before, the
    > only way to turn off the computer was to press and hold the power
    > button for about 10 seconds.
    >
    > I'd normally think of running System Restore, but how would I do that
    > under these circumstances? If I knew the .exe name and path of System
    > Restore, I could try to run it from the Task Manager's "New Task
    > (Run)". Does anyone know the .exe name and path of System Restore?
    >
    > Does anyone know what else could be done?

    Try booting from "Last Known Good Configuration".

  4. Re: After using Add/Remove, now system won't boot properly

    Ron wrote:

    > Try booting from "Last Known Good Configuration".

    Which is most likely infected with the McAfee crapware as well...

  5. Re: After using Add/Remove, now system won't boot properly

    Your story is so big that i cannot understand but for sure you are
    victim of McAfee Virus
    Just uninstall all the McAfee thing from computer and from Registry
    editor, try to get the windows services which ere thr in McAfee virus
    volt back from any other same OS machine.Then ur mahcine will be alive
    soon

  6. Re: After using Add/Remove, now system won't boot properly

    On Mar 12, 1:14 am, "Sebastian G." wrote:
    > Ron wrote:
    >
    > > Try booting from "Last Known Good Configuration".

    > Which is most likely infected with the McAfee crapware as well...

    I had the exact same thing happen to me just a few wks ago after
    uninstalling Nero. Nothing but a blank desktop after rebooting.

    Booting from "Last Known Good Configuration" solved whatever the
    problem was.

+ Reply to Thread