Connecting a wireless access point to a cable modem - Network

This is a discussion on Connecting a wireless access point to a cable modem - Network ; Hello, A friend of mine recently had a cable modem installed in his flat. Unfortunately, the modem doesn't allow wireless access which he would like. I'm thinking it would be possible to get a wireless access point connected to this ...

  1. Connecting a wireless access point to a cable modem

    Hello,

    A friend of mine recently had a cable modem installed in his flat.
    Unfortunately, the modem doesn't allow wireless access which he would like.

    I'm thinking it would be possible to get a wireless access point connected
    to this modem to extend internet access availability. Is this possible?

    Also, looking at the sockets on the cable modem, there seem only to be two
    places where data cables will fit: one ethernet socket, and one USB socket
    (the USB socket is one of those hexagonal types that looks like a rectangle
    with two of the top corners cut away). Would I be able to get a USB WAP
    which would connect to this USB port? I ask, because my friend would like to
    keep the ethernet port open for a wired connection.

    Thanks,

    Epetruk

  2. Re: Connecting a wireless access point to a cable modem

    On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:33:37 -0800, "Epetruk"
    wrote in :

    >A friend of mine recently had a cable modem installed in his flat.
    >Unfortunately, the modem doesn't allow wireless access which he would like.
    >
    >I'm thinking it would be possible to get a wireless access point connected
    >to this modem to extend internet access availability. Is this possible?

    Yes. But only for a single computer unless the cable modem has a
    built-in router; otherwise, for more than one computer you need a
    wireless router.

    >Also, looking at the sockets on the cable modem, there seem only to be two
    >places where data cables will fit: one ethernet socket, and one USB socket
    >(the USB socket is one of those hexagonal types that looks like a rectangle
    >with two of the top corners cut away). Would I be able to get a USB WAP
    >which would connect to this USB port? I ask, because my friend would like to
    >keep the ethernet port open for a wired connection.

    No need for that (which would be hard to find at best) -- the wireless
    access point or router will have multiple Ethernet ports.

    --
    Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet:
    John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi:

  3. Re: Connecting a wireless access point to a cable modem

    "John Navas" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:33:37 -0800, "Epetruk"
    > wrote in :
    >
    >>A friend of mine recently had a cable modem installed in his flat.
    >>Unfortunately, the modem doesn't allow wireless access which he would
    >>like.
    >>
    >>I'm thinking it would be possible to get a wireless access point connected
    >>to this modem to extend internet access availability. Is this possible?

    > Yes. But only for a single computer unless the cable modem has a
    > built-in router; otherwise, for more than one computer you need a
    > wireless router.
    >
    >>Also, looking at the sockets on the cable modem, there seem only to be two
    >>places where data cables will fit: one ethernet socket, and one USB socket
    >>(the USB socket is one of those hexagonal types that looks like a
    >>rectangle
    >>with two of the top corners cut away). Would I be able to get a USB WAP
    >>which would connect to this USB port? I ask, because my friend would like
    >>keep the ethernet port open for a wired connection.

    > No need for that (which would be hard to find at best) -- the wireless
    > access point or router will have multiple Ethernet ports.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet:
    > John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi:
    > Wi-Fi How To:
    > Fixes to Wi-Fi Problems:

    Hello John,

    I have a D-Link ADSL modem which also has wireless router functionality. I
    tried to get this to work with the cable modem by doing the following:

    - Unplugged the cable modem from the mains

    - Plugged the ADSL modem/router to the mains

    - Connected the cable modem to the ADSL modem/router with an ethernet cable

    - Plugged the cable modem back into the mains

    - Connected the ADSL modem/router to my laptop with another ethernet cable

    - Tried to configure the ADSL modem/router by typing a 192.168.1.1 (this is
    the IP for the D-Link modems), but I couldn't find it. This is strange,
    because I with this setup, I had internet access, and I could also see the
    configuration panel of the cable modem when I typed in the correct
    192.168.*.* address.

    Was I doing something wrong? Am I not supposed to be able to connect an ADSL
    modem/wireless router to a cable modem? Is there another way of accessing
    the control panel of the ADSL modem/router?

    Thanks,

    Epetruk

  4. Re: Connecting a wireless access point to a cable modem

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:07:10 -0800, "Epetruk"
    wrote in :

    >"John Navas" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:33:37 -0800, "Epetruk"
    >> wrote in :
    >>
    >>>A friend of mine recently had a cable modem installed in his flat.
    >>>Unfortunately, the modem doesn't allow wireless access which he would
    >>>like.
    >>>I'm thinking it would be possible to get a wireless access point connected
    >>>to this modem to extend internet access availability. Is this possible?

    >> Yes. But only for a single computer unless the cable modem has a
    >> built-in router; otherwise, for more than one computer you need a
    >> wireless router.

    >>>Also, looking at the sockets on the cable modem, there seem only to be two
    >>>places where data cables will fit: one ethernet socket, and one USB socket
    >>>(the USB socket is one of those hexagonal types that looks like a
    >>>rectangle
    >>>with two of the top corners cut away). Would I be able to get a USB WAP
    >>>which would connect to this USB port? I ask, because my friend would like
    >>>to keep the ethernet port open for a wired connection.

    When you don't tell us diddlysquat about what gear you have and what
    you're trying to do it's very hard to help you.

    >> No need for that (which would be hard to find at best) -- the wireless
    >> access point or router will have multiple Ethernet ports.

    >I have a D-Link ADSL modem which also has wireless router functionality.

    Then all you need is a wireless access point or wireless router
    configured as an access point.

    >tried to get this to work with the cable modem by doing the following:
    >- Unplugged the cable modem from the mains
    >- Plugged the ADSL modem/router to the mains

    Why the hell are you trying to use an ADSL modem/router?

    >- Connected the cable modem to the ADSL modem/router with an ethernet cable
    >- Plugged the cable modem back into the mains
    >- Connected the ADSL modem/router to my laptop with another ethernet cable
    >- Tried to configure the ADSL modem/router by typing a 192.168.1.1 (this is
    >the IP for the D-Link modems), but I couldn't find it. This is strange,

    Actually not, because you can only connect if your laptop port is
    configured properly on the same subnet.

    >because I with this setup, I had internet access, and I could also see the
    >configuration panel of the cable modem when I typed in the correct
    >192.168.*.* address.

    Presumably on ADSL service, but that's totally different.

    >Was I doing something wrong?

    Lots of things, including withholding important details.

    >Am I not supposed to be able to connect an ADSL
    >modem/wireless router to a cable modem? Is there another way of accessing
    >the control panel of the ADSL modem/router?

    It has to be configured properly.

    You'd have less grief is you just got a proper wireless access point.

    --
    Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet:
    John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi:
    Wi-Fi How To:
    Fixes to Wi-Fi Problems:

  5. Re: Connecting a wireless access point to a cable modem

    "John Navas" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:07:10 -0800, "Epetruk"
    > wrote in :
    >
    >>"John Navas" wrote in message

    >>> Yes. But only for a single computer unless the cable modem has a
    >>> built-in router; otherwise, for more than one computer you need a
    >>> wireless router.

    > When you don't tell us diddlysquat about what gear you have and what
    > you're trying to do it's very hard to help you.

    In your first reply to me, you did not indicate exactly what extra
    information you wanted to know, so I don't understand why you're upset.

    In any case, the cable modem is a Motorola SurfBoard type; it does not have
    wireless functionality, and my friend would like to be able to connect to
    the internet using both an ethernet cable *and* a wireless connection at the
    same time. I tried a D-Link ADSL modem which also combined routing and
    wireless acceess functionality, because I happened to have a spare one lying
    around. I thought that since it had wireless and routing functionality, it
    just might work. But if it is not a good choice, then I can tell my friend
    to buy a proper wireless router. I just need to know that configuring a
    wireless router won't be problematic.

    If there is any other information you need to know, please let me know; I
    will be happy to provide it.

  6. Re: Connecting a wireless access point to a cable modem

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:12:25 -0800, "Epetruk"
    wrote in :

    >"John Navas" wrote in message

    >> When you don't tell us diddlysquat about what gear you have and what
    >> you're trying to do it's very hard to help you.

    >In your first reply to me, you did not indicate exactly what extra
    >information you wanted to know, so I don't understand why you're upset.

    I'm not upset. I'm just telling you why I can't give a good quick
    answer to your question.

    >In any case, the cable modem is a Motorola SurfBoard type;

    Does it not have a model number? Any other reason not to tell us?

    >it does not have
    >wireless functionality, and my friend would like to be able to connect to
    >the internet using both an ethernet cable *and* a wireless connection at the
    >same time.

    You mean both wired and wireless connection to the cable modem?

    >I tried a D-Link ADSL modem which also combined routing and
    >wireless acceess functionality, because I happened to have a spare one lying
    >around.

    That's an ADSL router, not an Ethernet or cable router. It thus can
    only be used as a router on ADSL, not Ethernet or cable. Why would you
    think otherwise? Just hoping?

    >I thought that since it had wireless and routing functionality, it
    >just might work.

    OK, just hoping.

    >But if it is not a good choice, then I can tell my friend
    >to buy a proper wireless router.

    Your friend doesn't have ADSL, so it's definitely not a good choice.
    Here's why, diagram of an ADSL Wireless Router:

    +-------------+----------------+
    | | |
    | +-----+----+ |
    | |ADSL Modem| |
    | +-----+----+ |
    | | |
    | +------+------+ |
    | |Router & DHCP| |
    | +--+----------+ |
    | | |
    | +-------+--+ +------------+ |
    | | Switch +--+ Wireless | |
    | +-+-+-+-+--+ |Access Point| |
    | | | | | +------------+ |
    +---+-+-+-+--------------------+

    Do you see now why the Router section can't be used for cable? You have
    to go through the router section to use it, and it only connects through
    to the ADSL Modem section.

    >I just need to know that configuring a
    >wireless router won't be problematic.

    There are no guarantees, especially when you don't specify brand and
    model.

    >If there is any other information you need to know, please let me know; I
    >will be happy to provide it.

    You need a regular wireless router (as I said back at the beginning),
    not an ADSL wireless router, an wired Ethernet wireless router.

    --
    Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet:
    John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi:
    Wi-Fi How To:
    Fixes to Wi-Fi Problems:

  7. Re: Connecting a wireless access point to a cable modem

    "John Navas" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:12:25 -0800, "Epetruk"

    >>If there is any other information you need to know, please let me know; I
    >>will be happy to provide it.

    > You need a regular wireless router (as I said back at the beginning),
    > not an ADSL wireless router, an wired Ethernet wireless router.

    Hello again, John.

    Thanks for your diagram which clearly explains why the ADSL modem/router/AP
    won't work.

    The specific model of the cable modem is the Motorola SurfBoard SB5101; can
    you recommend a specific wireless router to use?

  8. Re: Connecting a wireless access point to a cable modem

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 00:23:33 -0800, "Epetruk"
    wrote in <9mwuj.71307$K17.58043@newsfet14.ams>:

    >"John Navas" wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:12:25 -0800, "Epetruk"

    >>>If there is any other information you need to know, please let me know; I
    >>>will be happy to provide it.

    >> You need a regular wireless router (as I said back at the beginning),
    >> not an ADSL wireless router, an wired Ethernet wireless router.

    >Thanks for your diagram which clearly explains why the ADSL modem/router/AP
    >won't work.
    >
    >The specific model of the cable modem is the Motorola SurfBoard SB5101; can
    >you recommend a specific wireless router to use?

    Suggest getting one of the better units on this list:

    My favorite vendor Buffalo is currently barred from the US market.
    Suggest Asus instead.

    --
    Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet:
    John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi:
    Wi-Fi How To:
    Fixes to Wi-Fi Problems:

+ Reply to Thread