Re: Firewall Software Recommendations? - Network

This is a discussion on Re: Firewall Software Recommendations? - Network ; "W. Watson" wrote: >What are some of the better choices (see Subject), free or commercial? Are >there some reviews on this topic? I like the freeware "Comodo" firewall: http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/ I do find it necessary to disable it, though, whenever I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

  1. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    "W. Watson" wrote:
    >What are some of the better choices (see Subject), free or commercial? Are
    >there some reviews on this topic?

    I like the freeware "Comodo" firewall:

    http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

    I do find it necessary to disable it, though, whenever I install a new program.
    You can "switch to installation mode", but then it will keep nagging you if you
    want to switch back. Apart from that nagging problem, it seems to work as
    advertised. And it's a big improvement over previous versions of this firewall.

    I don't know much about it, but I've read that a hardware firewall is supposed
    to provide more security, at an added cost.

    --

  2. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    >> What are some of the better choices (see Subject), free or
    >> commercial? Are there some reviews on this topic?

    > I like the freeware "Comodo" firewall:
    >
    > http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
    >
    > I do find it necessary to disable it, though, whenever I install a
    > new program. You can "switch to installation mode", but then it will
    > keep nagging you if you want to switch back. Apart from that nagging
    > problem, it seems to work as advertised. And it's a big improvement
    > over previous versions of this firewall.
    >
    > I don't know much about it, but I've read that a hardware firewall
    > is supposed to provide more security, at an added cost.

    I use it in the "Train with Safe Mode" and turn off the Proactive
    Defense. I only get nagged the 1st time an app tries to access the
    Internet, and that's only for apps that Comodo doesn't recognize. I
    think it can be one of the less annoying firewalls. And it's highly
    rated too.

  3. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    From: "Ckyp"

    | "W. Watson" wrote:
    >> What are some of the better choices (see Subject), free or commercial? Are
    >> there some reviews on this topic?

    | I like the freeware "Comodo" firewall:
    |
    | http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
    |
    | I do find it necessary to disable it, though, whenever I install a new program.
    | You can "switch to installation mode", but then it will keep nagging you if you
    | want to switch back. Apart from that nagging problem, it seems to work as
    | advertised. And it's a big improvement over previous versions of this firewall.
    |
    | I don't know much about it, but I've read that a hardware firewall is supposed
    | to provide more security, at an added cost.

    Hardware based FireWall appliances are far better then software FireWalls and don't hog
    resources.

    Even a NAT Router with simplistic FireWall constructs is preferred.

    Such devices can also be monitored with software such as WallWatcher.
    http://www.wallwatcher.com/

    --
    Dave

  4. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Ckyp"
    >

    > | "W. Watson" wrote:
    >>> What are some of the better choices (see Subject), free or commercial? Are
    >>> there some reviews on this topic?

    > | I like the freeware "Comodo" firewall:
    > |
    > | http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
    > |
    > | I do find it necessary to disable it, though, whenever I install a new program.
    > | You can "switch to installation mode", but then it will keep nagging you if you
    > | want to switch back. Apart from that nagging problem, it seems to work as
    > | advertised. And it's a big improvement over previous versions of this firewall.
    > |
    > | I don't know much about it, but I've read that a hardware firewall is supposed
    > | to provide more security, at an added cost.
    > |

    > Hardware based FireWall appliances are far better then software FireWalls and don't hog
    > resources.
    >
    > Even a NAT Router with simplistic FireWall constructs is preferred.

    Bingo!

    Another solution; acquire a obsolete pc via freecycle, add a spare nic
    and cruise on over to ipcop.com and grab the iso.

    > Such devices can also be monitored with software such as WallWatcher.
    > http://www.wallwatcher.com/

    My minimal experience with wallwatcher has been most positive.

  5. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    >> I don't know much about it, but I've read that a hardware firewall
    >> is supposed to provide more security, at an added cost.

    > Hardware based FireWall appliances are far better then software
    > FireWalls and don't hog resources.
    >
    > Even a NAT Router with simplistic FireWall constructs is preferred.

    Outbound protection only though.

    > Such devices can also be monitored with software such as WallWatcher.
    > http://www.wallwatcher.com/

  6. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    From: "M.L."

    >>> I don't know much about it, but I've read that a hardware firewall
    >>> is supposed to provide more security, at an added cost.

    >> Hardware based FireWall appliances are far better then software
    >> FireWalls and don't hog resources.
    >>
    >> Even a NAT Router with simplistic FireWall constructs is preferred.

    | Outbound protection only though.

    Not true at all !

    --
    Dave

  7. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    "Ckyp" wrote in message
    news:e841e83ed0afbe0dea6cf0c466b1aab3@nymkey.com.. .

    > "W. Watson" wrote:
    >>What are some of the better choices (see Subject), free or commercial? Are
    >>there some reviews on this topic?

    > I like the freeware "Comodo" firewall:
    >
    > http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
    >
    > I do find it necessary to disable it, though, whenever I install a new
    > program.
    > You can "switch to installation mode", but then it will keep nagging you
    > if you
    > want to switch back. Apart from that nagging problem, it seems to work as
    > advertised. And it's a big improvement over previous versions of this
    > firewall.
    >
    > I don't know much about it, but I've read that a hardware firewall is
    > supposed
    > to provide more security, at an added cost.
    >
    > --CKYP= the problem with Comdo firewall I cant update it never= and i have
    > tried everything to unstall Comdo firewall but it will NOT unstallit all I
    > want is to be able to update it. can you give me any help on this= THANKS

  8. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    "huck" wrote:
    >"Ckyp" wrote in message
    >news:e841e83ed0afbe0dea6cf0c466b1aab3@nymkey.com.. .
    >>
    >> "W. Watson" wrote:
    >>>What are some of the better choices (see Subject), free or commercial? Are
    >>>there some reviews on this topic?

    >> I like the freeware "Comodo" firewall:
    >>
    >> http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
    >>
    >> I do find it necessary to disable it, though, whenever I install a new
    >> program.
    >> You can "switch to installation mode", but then it will keep nagging you
    >> if you
    >> want to switch back. Apart from that nagging problem, it seems to work as
    >> advertised. And it's a big improvement over previous versions of this
    >> firewall.
    >>
    >> I don't know much about it, but I've read that a hardware firewall is
    >> supposed
    >> to provide more security, at an added cost.
    >>
    >> --CKYP= the problem with Comdo firewall I cant update it never= and i have
    >> tried everything to unstall Comdo firewall but it will NOT unstallit all I
    >> want is to be able to update it. can you give me any help on this= THANKS

    This is a secret code, so don't give it out to anyone. It is posted here:
    http://tinyurl.com/2aryzy

    Insert the line of code appearing in the window, and it will allow you to uninstall
    and update the installation directory.

    --

  9. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    wrote:
    > David H. Lipman wrote:

    >> | I don't know much about it, but I've read that a hardware firewall
    >> is supposed
    >> | to provide more security, at an added cost.
    >> |

    >> Hardware based FireWall appliances are far better then software
    >> FireWalls and don't hog
    >> resources.
    >>
    >> Even a NAT Router with simplistic FireWall constructs is preferred.

    > Bingo!
    >
    > Another solution; acquire a obsolete pc via freecycle, add a spare nic
    > and cruise on over to ipcop.com and grab the iso.
    >

    >> Such devices can also be monitored with software such as WallWatcher.
    >> http://www.wallwatcher.com/
    >>

    > My minimal experience with wallwatcher has been most positive.

    This brings up a whole 'nother approach for me.
    I've been using the final free Sygate Personal Firewall on my PCs for
    some time now, and I greatly regret Symantec's purchase and trashing of
    the product. I've actually used Sygate in both free and bundled forms
    for 7 years (hint: the free version was better!). I like the way that it
    works -- a perfect balance between sensible operation, good performance,
    usability (no small consideration) and resource use (another important
    aspect of a security program). But the free version does have a glass
    cieling: a limit on the amount of custom rules it'll accept, and I've
    banged against that limit.

    Now, about a hardware firewall:

    I've got two old PCs. One is a 486, 100kc speed, can't recall the memory
    (it's maxed out for whatever its limit is) -- something like a 2g hard
    drive. I've got Dos 6.22, Windows 3.11 for it. I've also got original
    install disks for Windows 95 and Windows XP (home upgrade).

    The second PC is a laptop with W95 on it. I don't have specs. It's
    working fine. This laptop is so primitive that it doesn't even have any
    CD drive on it -- just a floppy and a HD.

    I'd appreciate knowing if either of these machines can make sense as a
    hardware firewall.

    I apologize for replying in the same cross-posting that the OP used.

    TIA

    Richard

  10. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    From: "Richard Steinfeld"

    | This brings up a whole 'nother approach for me.
    | I've been using the final free Sygate Personal Firewall on my PCs for
    | some time now, and I greatly regret Symantec's purchase and trashing of
    | the product. I've actually used Sygate in both free and bundled forms
    | for 7 years (hint: the free version was better!). I like the way that it
    | works -- a perfect balance between sensible operation, good performance,
    | usability (no small consideration) and resource use (another important
    | aspect of a security program). But the free version does have a glass
    | cieling: a limit on the amount of custom rules it'll accept, and I've
    | banged against that limit.
    |
    | Now, about a hardware firewall:
    |
    | I've got two old PCs. One is a 486, 100kc speed, can't recall the memory
    | (it's maxed out for whatever its limit is) -- something like a 2g hard
    | drive. I've got Dos 6.22, Windows 3.11 for it. I've also got original
    | install disks for Windows 95 and Windows XP (home upgrade).
    |
    | The second PC is a laptop with W95 on it. I don't have specs. It's
    | working fine. This laptop is so primitive that it doesn't even have any
    | CD drive on it -- just a floppy and a HD.
    |
    | I'd appreciate knowing if either of these machines can make sense as a
    | hardware firewall.
    |
    | I apologize for replying in the same cross-posting that the OP used.
    |
    | TIA
    |
    | Richard

    The latency on said platforms would be high. A COTS dedicated appliance would be faster.

    Think of it as walking on pavement and then you come across a 20 ft section of mud and then
    pavement again.

    --
    Dave

  11. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    From: "Craig"

    | But, if the OP insists ... they might want to check out FreeNAS. Not
    | Linux but Unix (FreeBSD). The blurb:
    |
    >> FreeNAS
    >> https://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas
    >> NAS (Network Attached Storage) server supporting: CIFS, FTP, NFS, RSYNC,
    >> SSH, AFP, Unison, UPnP, iSCSI protocols, local and MS Domain
    >> authentication, Software RAID (JBOD,0,1,5), disk encryption with a Full
    >> WEB configuration interface. 32MB only.

    The advantage of a PC setup as a FireWall is greater flexibility and configuration
    possibilities.

    However, I would look as optimizing the the networking to decrease latency. That is using
    the best NICs. Such as using 64 bit PCI which runs at the PCI bus speed 66MHz vis PCI 32bit
    which only runs at 33MHz. You would also want a PC that has the fast bus throughput.

    --
    Dave

  12. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    Ckyp wrote:
    > "W. Watson" wrote:
    >> What are some of the better choices (see Subject), free or commercial? Are
    >> there some reviews on this topic?

    > I like the freeware "Comodo" firewall:
    >
    > http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
    >
    > I do find it necessary to disable it, though, whenever I install a new program.
    > You can "switch to installation mode", but then it will keep nagging you if you
    > want to switch back. Apart from that nagging problem, it seems to work as
    > advertised. And it's a big improvement over previous versions of this firewall.
    >
    > I don't know much about it, but I've read that a hardware firewall is supposed
    > to provide more security, at an added cost.
    >
    > --

    I used to use Sygate, had all kinds of conflicts with Comodo
    in addition to its endless nagging.

    I'm now using Online Armor free in addition to an NAT
    Router. I like Online Armor very much and find it's "nags"
    are clear and informative.

    Louise

  13. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 23:55:51 -0500, louise
    wrote:

    >I'm now using Online Armor free in addition to an NAT
    >Router. I like Online Armor very much and find it's "nags"
    >are clear and informative.

    What about the nags you don't get?

  14. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Craig"
    >

    > | But, if the OP insists ... they might want to check out FreeNAS. Not
    > | Linux but Unix (FreeBSD). The blurb:
    > |
    >>> FreeNAS
    >>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas
    >>> NAS (Network Attached Storage) server supporting: CIFS, FTP, NFS, RSYNC,
    >>> SSH, AFP, Unison, UPnP, iSCSI protocols, local and MS Domain
    >>> authentication, Software RAID (JBOD,0,1,5), disk encryption with a Full
    >>> WEB configuration interface. 32MB only.

    > The advantage of a PC setup as a FireWall is greater flexibility and configuration
    > possibilities.
    >
    > However, I would look as optimizing the the networking to decrease latency. That is using
    > the best NICs. Such as using 64 bit PCI which runs at the PCI bus speed 66MHz vis PCI 32bit
    > which only runs at 33MHz. You would also want a PC that has the fast bus throughput.

    And NIC's that offload the processing from the CPU. Intel e1000-based
    cards do that, among many others, no doubt.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  15. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    louise wrote:

    > I'm now using Online Armor free in addition to an NAT
    > Router. I like Online Armor very much and find it's "nags"
    > are clear and informative.

    I find it nags an obvious attack point for a shatter attack.

  16. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    From: "Gary R. Schmidt"

    | And NIC's that offload the processing from the CPU. Intel e1000-based
    | cards do that, among many others, no doubt.
    |
    | Cheers,
    | Gary B-)

    Yesw. I had an Intel NIC that had a RISC i960 CPU that clock doubled the PCI 33MHz bus
    speed to 66MHz and I used in on a Symantec Ghost server. This server NIC gave me great
    performance when distributing Ghost images.

    --
    Dave

  17. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    Sebastian G. wrote:
    > louise wrote:
    >

    >> I'm now using Online Armor free in addition to an NAT Router. I like
    >> Online Armor very much and find it's "nags" are clear and informative.

    > I find it nags an obvious attack point for a shatter attack.

    What does that mean? What is a shatter attack?

    Louise

  18. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    louise wrote:

    > Sebastian G. wrote:
    >> louise wrote:
    >>

    >>> I'm now using Online Armor free in addition to an NAT Router. I like
    >>> Online Armor very much and find it's "nags" are clear and informative.

    >> I find it nags an obvious attack point for a shatter attack.

    > What does that mean? What is a shatter attack?

    Google and Wikipedia exist...

    (Oh, and in fact, if you never bothered to check your security software for
    the most obvious security vulnerabilities, then you never had any security.)

  19. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    In comp.security.firewalls louise wrote:
    > Sebastian G. wrote:
    >> louise wrote:
    >>> I'm now using Online Armor free in addition to an NAT Router. I like
    >>> Online Armor very much and find it's "nags" are clear and informative.

    >> I find it nags an obvious attack point for a shatter attack.

    > What does that mean? What is a shatter attack?

    http://www.just****inggoogleit.com/

    F'up2csf to put an end to this braindead crossposting over five groups.

    cu
    59cobalt
    --Mark Russinovich

  20. Re: Firewall Software Recommendations?

    From: "Sebastian G."

    | Google and Wikipedia exist...
    |
    | (Oh, and in fact, if you never bothered to check your security software for
    | the most obvious security vulnerabilities, then you never had any security.)

    One can check software that has vulnerabilities and if those applications have updates
    through the Secunia Software Inspector. It will identify installed applications that should
    be updated that have not been updated and leave you "at risk".

    http://secunia.com/software_inspector

    --
    Dave

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast