setting up wried/wireless routers on same subnet? - Network

This is a discussion on setting up wried/wireless routers on same subnet? - Network ; Ive got a Zywall 5 that takes care of all my wired network (running through a dell gigaswitch) Then I have a Dlink DIR-655 taking care of my wireless network. At the moment they are setup on two seperate subnets ...

  1. setting up wried/wireless routers on same subnet?

    Ive got a Zywall 5 that takes care of all my wired network (running
    through a dell gigaswitch)
    Then I have a Dlink DIR-655 taking care of my wireless network.

    At the moment they are setup on two seperate subnets (192.168.0.x and
    192.168.1.x)

    This gives me a few problems since certain for different reasons cant
    communicate across networks.

    So Id like to basically have the dlink act as an AP (ie: not router) on
    the Zywall network, so all ip adresses on the network will be on the
    same subnet.

    But as far as I can see the dir-655 does not have any setup options, to
    make it act as a dummy ap?

    Id love to have some suggestions as to how to approach this.

    kind regards

  2. Re: setting up wried/wireless routers on same subnet?

    "Søren Jacobsen" wrote in message
    news:e8b17$476e9025$55daa1ea$18109@news.galnet.dk. ..
    > Ive got a Zywall 5 that takes care of all my wired network (running
    > through a dell gigaswitch)
    > Then I have a Dlink DIR-655 taking care of my wireless network.
    >
    > At the moment they are setup on two seperate subnets (192.168.0.x and
    > 192.168.1.x)
    >
    > This gives me a few problems since certain for different reasons cant
    > communicate across networks.
    >
    > So Id like to basically have the dlink act as an AP (ie: not router) on
    > the Zywall network, so all ip adresses on the network will be on the same
    > subnet.
    >
    > But as far as I can see the dir-655 does not have any setup options, to
    > make it act as a dummy ap?
    >
    > Id love to have some suggestions as to how to approach this.
    >
    > kind regards

    I've done this on several occasions, I'm not totally familiar with the
    dlink655 but here is the general setup.

    1. Connect a system to one of the dlink lan ports.
    2. Log into the router and set up your wireless security.
    3. Go to lan setup and disable dhcp service.
    4. Connect a cable from the Zywall network to a lan port on the dlink 655.
    5. Connect the other appropriate network cables to the dlink... the wan
    (or internet) port will remain unused.
    6. The Zywall should now be providing the dhcp address to all your nodes
    both on the zywall and dlink... (and be on the same net as the zywall)

    good luck

    Dennis

+ Reply to Thread