does vista communicate if it wants to? - Network

This is a discussion on does vista communicate if it wants to? - Network ; Hello everyone. I need help on this new point. I've succeeded on creating a VPN tunnel between a Client computer (Vista Ultimate Edition) and a VPN device (specialized OpenBSD). Here is what I did. First, I set the global settings ...

  1. does vista communicate if it wants to?

    Hello everyone. I need help on this new point.

    I've succeeded on creating a VPN tunnel between a Client computer (Vista
    Ultimate Edition) and a VPN device (specialized OpenBSD).
    Here is what I did. First, I set the global settings of the
    advanced firewall and I added a secure connection rule in the advanced
    firewall which defines communication end points, psk and the tunnel end
    points (client to
    VPN gateway). Second, I added a security policy which defines :
    1) a filter list (communication end points: from PC to target network),
    2) a filter action (encryption methods and action to take: ESP-3DES-SHA1 and
    "set the security in advance" option is selected)
    3) a PSK is defined again which is the same as defined in the firewall rule
    4) in the tunnel configuration I selected "this rule doesn't define an IPsec
    tunnel"

    Having this configuration, I couldn't never get ping working but twice.
    Sometimes when I reboot the computer, somehow it starts pinging and I see the
    packets going through the tunnel and everything is right. I try again it
    starts not working again.

    Is this a known issue? Is SP1 going to resolve this? Or is there something
    wrong with my configuration? Some people said I'm doing so much
    configuration, but I cannot get the tunnel up without these

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.

  2. RE: does vista communicate if it wants to?

    I resolved the issue. It was a timeout mismatch. Thanks, anyways.

    "Bekir" wrote:

    > Hello everyone. I need help on this new point.
    >
    > I've succeeded on creating a VPN tunnel between a Client computer (Vista
    > Ultimate Edition) and a VPN device (specialized OpenBSD).
    > Here is what I did. First, I set the global settings of the
    > advanced firewall and I added a secure connection rule in the advanced
    > firewall which defines communication end points, psk and the tunnel end
    > points (client to
    > VPN gateway). Second, I added a security policy which defines :
    > 1) a filter list (communication end points: from PC to target network),
    > 2) a filter action (encryption methods and action to take: ESP-3DES-SHA1 and
    > "set the security in advance" option is selected)
    > 3) a PSK is defined again which is the same as defined in the firewall rule
    > 4) in the tunnel configuration I selected "this rule doesn't define an IPsec
    > tunnel"
    >
    > Having this configuration, I couldn't never get ping working but twice.
    > Sometimes when I reboot the computer, somehow it starts pinging and I see the
    > packets going through the tunnel and everything is right. I try again it
    > starts not working again.
    >
    > Is this a known issue? Is SP1 going to resolve this? Or is there something
    > wrong with my configuration? Some people said I'm doing so much
    > configuration, but I cannot get the tunnel up without these
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread