Hi Alastair,

try enabling the feature "start before logon" on the client. It could
be that AD credentials are conflict somehow with the Domain
Controller and you are required to be part of the domain when doing
MAPI. The above feature will allow you to connect your vpn client
before you loging into the local domain. Once your client is
connected, you will be able to logon into the local domain thru the
vpn tunnel. Meaning, your domain credentials will be sent over the
vpn connection for authentication.

To enable this feature on the client go to Options-> Windows Logon
Properties and check the option "Start before Logon", apply the
changes, and reboot your PC.

Hope this helps.

Aida