Mr.Petersen:

One way to make encrypted VNC connections that doesn't
require an open TCP port is to use EchoVNC alongside your VNC
Server. EchoVNC lets you make a "firewall friendly" connection
using a relay server that you own and control (e.g., running on
your public Linux server). Data content is secured with 128-bit
AES via the OpenSSL toolkit, and it works with any flavor of VNC.
More info here:

http://www.echogent.com/products.htm

For remote users who are not allowed to install their own
programs, try using EchoWinVNC. It's a zero-install "single click"
version of VNC that you can easily customize to connect to your
relay server, and even display your own splash-screen.

cheers,
Scott