Russell Howe wrote:
> On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 04:52:44PM +0200, Morten W. Petersen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we have some remote users that need help setting up various tools on
>> their computers, and we would like to be able to do this for them via
>> VPN, having them for example downloading an application and starting it
>> so we can access their computer.

> If you don't mind the unencrypted-ness (which you probably should), why
> not just get them to install VNC and run a viewer on your end in listen
> mode. That way they can just connect to your listening viewer, giving
> you control.
>
> No need to even install VNC such that it has a listening socket.

Look at this:

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/addons/singleclick.html
I have used it to assist some users remotely. It is fantastic. And it is
simple to use.

No installation on remote, just download and run. Use encryption with a
plugin. Works even with NATed (private IP number) connection. UltraVNC
has even a file transfer feature. If you configure it properly once you
can use it for all your remote assistance. Security considerations are
simple: the session can be opened only with the consent of the user and
with his presence and after the remote session nothing is running on the
remote computer.

Really a K.I.S.S. solution.

The disadvantages I have found:

Only Windows. Both parts cannot work behind NAT, the helper has to have
a public IP address. As slow as VNC is usually (I am fully satisfied).

There is even a NAT2NAT configuration for UltraVNC
http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/addons/nat2nat.html
but it is not at all so K.I.S.S: as the Singleclick and it needs a 3rd
party middleman to establish the connection.

regards

Igor.Pronin at iki.fi