Ken:

Heya. Yes, Hamachi is similar to echoWare, and I agree
it's a clever solution. Some important differences:

1. With echoWare, the service provider (eg, you) own and run your
own echoServer. It doesn't rely on my continued uptime (eg,
as a mediation server) in any way.

2. AFIAK, Hamachi uses a UDP hole-punching technique to bypass
firewalls and routers. The resulting connection is then
directly peer-to-peer. This has about a 95% success rate, as
UDP hole-punching is a neat workaround, but not something
that's firewall/router/proxy vendors actively support. With
echoWare, the echoServer acts as a TCP relay between the two
endpoints. The latency is increased, as is the connection
reliability.

3. EchoWare (the client-side component that connects to the
echoServer) is open-source, making it easier to include in
other open-source projects. For instance, we added it into
the TightVNC's Windows platform pretty easily. Hopefully
our Linux version will be done soon as well.

Also, the echoServer is hardly "only for VNC" -- echoWare
will work for any user-to-user application. We wrapped a GUI around
echoWare and call it "EchoVNC", but the echoServer itself is good
for any echoWare-enabled application.

Hamachi's approach of creating a virtual interface on
both sides of the connection is an interesting one -- as you say,
it solves for all layer-3 connections all at once, rather than
echoWare's per-application approach. Maybe I should spend the
time to create an EchoVPN product, based on echoWare.

cheers,
Scott