--===============1061186639==

--------------Boundary-00=_0TO4G6G0000000000000

Just thought I would put in my two cents worth here. Scott, your EchoSer=
ver
sounds very much like Hamachi (www.hamachi.cc) except that it is only for
VNC connections while Hamachi is a full-fledged (well, almost)
software-based VPN tunnel. Hamachi would be a better solution if they ar=
wanting to have access to other types of resources from the office PC in =
the
future, as it's a simple matter of configuring the OS to allow whatever
access is required; the VPN tunnel lets any traffic through.=0D
=0D
Hamachi works by connecting to a mediation server to get the tunnels
established with other computers on your list. If their server goes down=
,
the tunnels persist as long as the individual PCs can maintain the links.=
=20
For the most part, this has proven to work flawlessly even when both PCs
tested were on separate networks completely behind a firewall NAT router.=
=20
The only thing Hamachi doesn't work through is SOCKS or other proxies. T=
hey
are working on that though.=0D
=0D
The current version is 0.9.9.9 but there are pre-release versions of 1.0
available in the forums if you look for them.=0D
=0D
No, I don't work for Hamachi. I just really like the product and when th=
premium version comes out, I'm going to be the first to support it! =0D
=0D
Undrhil=0D
=0D
-------Original Message-------=0D
=0D
From: Scott C. Best=0D
Date: 11/17/05 02:00:34=0D
To: Dale Jones=0D
Cc: vpn@lists.shmoo.com=0D
Subject: [VPN] Re: FW: VPN=0D
=0D
Dale:=0D
=0D
Heya. Unless I misunderstood you, it sounds like you don't=0D
need a VPN for your boss to the office. All (I think) you need is a=0D
remote desktop solution, so that she can see/control the office PC=0D
from home.=0D
If that's correct, the best browser-based solution I know=0D
of is the free LogMeIn solution:=0D
=0D
https://secure.logmein.com/go.asp?page=3Ddownload1=0D
=0D
For a non web-browser solution...and at the risk of being=0D
self-promotional...my company recently released a firewall-friendly=0D
VNC-based remote desktop system:=0D
=0D
http://www.echogent.com/products.htm=0D
=0D
The advantage of the EchoWare Remote Support System is that=0D
you (the service provider) own all of the pieces -- it doesn't rely=0D
on any relay/rendezvous-servers run by someone else.=0D
=0D
hope that helps,=0D
Scott=0D
=0D
=0D
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Dale Jones wrote:=0D
>=0D
>>=0D
>> What is the simplest way to VPN my boss from her house to our office.=0D
>> We are all on XP Pro on a peer to peer , I only need to her to see=0D
>> backend Access tables at the office - mostly viewing not updates or=0D
>> transactions.=0D
>>=0D
>> Dale Jones=0D
>> cdadjones@sbcglobal.net=0D
>> Account Manager=0D
>> Certified Drivers of America=0D
>> 469.335.0020 Office=0D

=0D
=20
--------------Boundary-00=_0TO4G6G0000000000000

1">

10px 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bgColor=3D#ffffff background=3D"" scroll=3D=
yes ORGYPOS=3D"0">
%" border=3D0>

AMILY: Arial" width=3D"100%">

Just thought I would put in my two cents worth here.  Scott, yo=
ur EchoServer sounds very much like Hamachi ( i.cc/ href=3D"http://www.hamachi.cc/" target=3D_blank>www.hamachi.cc)=
except that it is only for VNC connections while Hamachi is a full-=
fledged (well, almost) software-based VPN tunnel.  Hamachi=
would be a better solution if they are wanting to have access to other t=
ypes of resources from the office PC in the future, as it's a s=
imple matter of configuring the OS to allow whatever access is requi=
red; the VPN tunnel lets any traffic through.

Hamachi works by connecting to a mediation server to get the&nb=
sp;tunnels established with other computers on your list.  If t=
heir server goes down, the tunnels persist as long as the individual=
PCs can maintain the links.  For the most part, this has prove=
n to work flawlessly even when both PCs tested were on separate netw=
orks completely behind a firewall NAT router.  The on=
ly thing Hamachi doesn't work through is SOCKS or other pr=
oxies.  They are working on that though.

The current version is 0.9.9.9 but there are pre-release versio=
ns of 1.0 available in the forums if you look for them.

No, I don't work for Hamachi.  I just really like&nbs=
p;the product and when the premium version comes out, I'm going=
to be the first to support it!

Undrhil

-------Original Message------- IV>

Dale:

   Heya. Unless I misunderstood you, it sounds like you do=
n't

need a VPN for your boss to the office. All (I think) you need is a<=
/DIV>
remote desktop solution, so that she can see/control the office PC DIV>
from home.

   If that's correct, the best browser-based solution I kn=
ow

of is the free LogMeIn solution:

   For a non web-browser solution...and at the risk of bei=
ng

self-promotional...my company recently released a firewall-friendly<=
/DIV>
VNC-based remote desktop system:

http://www.echogent=
=2Ecom/products.htm

   The advantage of the EchoWare Remote Support System is =
that

you (the service provider) own all of the pieces -- it doesn't rely<=
/DIV>
on any relay/rendezvous-servers run by someone else.

hope that helps,

Scott

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Dale Jones wrote:

>> What is the simplest way to VPN my boss from her house to o=
ur office.

>> We are all on XP Pro on a peer to peer , I only need to her=
to see

>> backend Access tables at the office - mostly viewing not up=
dates or

>> transactions.

>> Dale Jones

>> Account Manager