DOS Client - Netware

This is a discussion on DOS Client - Netware ; I need to download a DOS NetWare client, but there doesn't seem to be one on novell.com. I'd pay them for the CD if that's how they distribute them, but I can't find that option either. Any suggestions? -- Opinions ...

  1. DOS Client

    --
    Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Bolen Books.
    Dale Friesen, Sysadmin

  2. Re: DOS Client

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:40:38 -0700, Dale Friesen wrote:
    > I need to download a DOS NetWare client, but there doesn't seem to be
    > one on novell.com.

    It's been ages since I've needed one. I might be able to dig something
    up. Do you have supported hardware, though? You'll need a network
    adapter that has ODI driver support.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | We have them just where they want us. -- J. T. Kirk |

  3. Re: DOS Client

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:40:38 -0700, Dale Friesen wrote:
    > I need to download a DOS NetWare client, but there doesn't seem to be
    > one on novell.com.

    Oh, and just out of curiousity, what are you planning to connect to,
    even assuming we can find you a DOS client?

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | "A President cannot always be popular." - Harry S. Truman |

  4. Re: DOS Client

    David Gersic wrote:

    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:40:38 -0700, Dale Friesen wrote:
    > > I need to download a DOS NetWare client, but there doesn't seem to be
    > > one on novell.com.

    > It's been ages since I've needed one. I might be able to dig something
    > up. Do you have supported hardware, though? You'll need a network
    > adapter that has ODI driver support.

    Fortunately that part isn't my problem. Someone else is providing
    boxes with DOS installed and NetWare drivers for the NICs.

    > Oh, and just out of curiousity, what are you planning to connect to,
    > even assuming we can find you a DOS client?

    The server is running NetWare 6.5. The issue is the DOS database running
    the business.

    It looks like I've found a VLM.EXE, which won't go into himem but which
    should at least allow me to connect. I remember there being a 32-bit
    client which took care of memory issues, but if that's not easy to find
    then we'll just struggle along with a vlm connection.

    Thanks for the response, regardless!

    --
    Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Bolen Books.
    Dale Friesen, Sysadmin
    Bolen Books, Inc Victoria, BC Canada
    dalef@bolen.bc.ca http://www.bolen.bc.ca

  5. Re: DOS Client

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 06:59:01 -0700, Dale Friesen wrote:
    >> It's been ages since I've needed one. I might be able to dig something
    >> up. Do you have supported hardware, though? You'll need a network
    >> adapter that has ODI driver support.

    > Fortunately that part isn't my problem. Someone else is providing
    > boxes with DOS installed and NetWare drivers for the NICs.

    "NetWare" drivers could mean that they're going to provide you with
    the _server_ side drivers, though. You'll need client side "ODI" drivers
    to get this to work.

    >> Oh, and just out of curiousity, what are you planning to connect to,
    >> even assuming we can find you a DOS client?

    > The server is running NetWare 6.5. The issue is the DOS database running
    > the business.

    Ugh. Ok, well, it's supposed to be possible to do this, though my last DOS
    box was shut off a few years ago. I can't remember if we were still using
    NW6 at that point, or NW65. End result should be the same. Probably.

    Your server will need to be running IPX. I'm assuming you know that already,
    but figured I should mention it just in case.

    > It looks like I've found a VLM.EXE, which won't go into himem but which
    > should at least allow me to connect.

    You'll need:

    lsl.com

    ipxodi.com
    vlm.exe

    You can try messing around with high memory loading, but I'd leave that
    alone until you at least get it all in place, loaded, and working. I seem
    to recall that VLM.EXE will use high memory by itself if himem/emm386 are
    loaded, but I could be wrong about that.

    VLM.EXE is a loader. It picks up a few dozen *.vlm files and loads them.
    You'll need those, too.

    lsl.com and ipxodi.com are generic. I have those if you need them. Your
    supplier will need to provide you with the hardware-specific nic-odi-driver.com
    driver.

    > I remember there being a 32-bit
    > client which took care of memory issues, but if that's not easy to find
    > then we'll just struggle along with a vlm connection.

    That would be the Client32 for DOS. Yes, there was one. It actually loads
    a stripped down NetWare kernel, then uses 32 bit server drivers. I seem
    to recall that you could convince this client to work over IPX or IP, but
    that was a long time ago so I could be wrong about that. If you want it,
    I can probably find you a copy of this, too.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | Sysoping - More fun than being beaten with a sledgehammer. |

  6. Re: DOS Client

    Thanks again for all your help with this.

    David Gersic wrote:

    > "NetWare" drivers could mean that they're going to provide you with
    > the _server_ side drivers, though. You'll need client side "ODI" drivers
    > to get this to work.

    They gave me client side ODI drivers, but they still don't work.

    I get a "No Controller found" message. The notes say "YUKODI-DOS-6: The
    adapter did not initialize. YUKODI did not load." This sounds to me like
    either the NIC isn't enabled (but according to the BIOS it is), or like
    I have the wrong ODI driver (but it's the one provided by the
    manufacturer). Am I missing a third possibility?

    Maybe I need to check the IRQs. Gah.

    > Ugh. Ok, well, it's supposed to be possible to do this, though my last DOS
    > box was shut off a few years ago. I can't remember if we were still using
    > NW6 at that point, or NW65. End result should be the same. Probably.

    I found some other DOS boxes on the LAN connecting to the 6.5 server,
    which is where I got the other files I need. It's clearly possible.

    > Your server will need to be running IPX. I'm assuming you know that already,
    > but figured I should mention it just in case.

    Done.

    > You'll need:
    >
    > lsl.com
    >
    > ipxodi.com
    > vlm.exe

    I have all of these. I've even made sure I'm using versions (except for
    the ODI driver) that are working together on another box.

    > VLM.EXE is a loader. It picks up a few dozen *.vlm files and loads them.
    > You'll need those, too.

    Check.

    > > I remember there being a 32-bit
    > > client which took care of memory issues, but if that's not easy to find
    > > then we'll just struggle along with a vlm connection.

    > That would be the Client32 for DOS. Yes, there was one. It actually loads
    > a stripped down NetWare kernel, then uses 32 bit server drivers. I seem
    > to recall that you could convince this client to work over IPX or IP, but
    > that was a long time ago so I could be wrong about that. If you want it,
    > I can probably find you a copy of this, too.

    I'm not yet that desperate, but if I absolutely cannot get this ODI
    driver working then I might take you up on that.

    --
    Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Bolen Books.
    Dale Friesen, Sysadmin
    Bolen Books, Inc Victoria, BC Canada
    dalef@bolen.bc.ca http://www.bolen.bc.ca

  7. Re: DOS Client

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:29:26 -0700, Dale Friesen wrote:
    > They gave me client side ODI drivers, but they still don't work.

    Check the NET.CFG file for the correct settings for this driver, maybe?

    > I get a "No Controller found" message. The notes say "YUKODI-DOS-6: The
    > adapter did not initialize. YUKODI did not load." This sounds to me like
    > either the NIC isn't enabled (but according to the BIOS it is), or like
    > I have the wrong ODI driver (but it's the one provided by the
    > manufacturer). Am I missing a third possibility?
    >
    > Maybe I need to check the IRQs. Gah.

    Could be. Dunno. Never heard of that particular adapter.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | All the world's a stage, and most of us are desperately unrehersed. |

  8. Re: DOS Client

    David Gersic wrote:

    > Check the NET.CFG file for the correct settings for this driver, maybe?

    No luck.

    > Could be. Dunno. Never heard of that particular adapter.

    Okay, I'll wade into the IRQs. That'll bring back some memories.

    The driver is just an ASUS on-board NIC:
    <http://support.asus.com/download/dow...en-us&model=P5
    K-VM>

    --
    Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Bolen Books.
    Dale Friesen, Sysadmin
    Bolen Books, Inc Victoria, BC Canada
    dalef@bolen.bc.ca http://www.bolen.bc.ca

  9. Re: DOS Client

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:12:03 -0700, Dale Friesen wrote:
    > David Gersic wrote:
    >
    >> Check the NET.CFG file for the correct settings for this driver, maybe?

    > No luck.

    No luck how?

    >> Could be. Dunno. Never heard of that particular adapter.

    > Okay, I'll wade into the IRQs. That'll bring back some memories.
    >
    > The driver is just an ASUS on-board NIC:
    ><http://support.asus.com/download/dow...en-us&model=P5
    > K-VM>

    The last time I dealt with DOS and ODI drivers, the 3Com 3c509 was the
    state of the art. I'm surprised that Asus has a driver for this.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. |

  10. Re: DOS Client

    David Gersic wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:12:03 -0700, Dale Friesen wrote:
    > > David Gersic wrote:
    > >
    > >> Check the NET.CFG file for the correct settings for this driver, maybe?

    > > No luck.

    > No luck how?

    Sorry, that was remarkably undescriptive of me.

    I checked the net.cfg and everything had the correct settings for this
    driver. I monkeyed with it and tried various alternatives, but nothing
    changed.

    > The last time I dealt with DOS and ODI drivers, the 3Com 3c509 was the
    > state of the art. I'm surprised that Asus has a driver for this.

    I was astonished. Now I just have to get it to work.

    --
    Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Bolen Books.
    Dale Friesen, Sysadmin
    Bolen Books, Inc Victoria, BC Canada
    dalef@bolen.bc.ca http://www.bolen.bc.ca

  11. Re: DOS Client

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:55:37 -0700, Dale Friesen wrote:
    > David Gersic wrote:

    >> > No luck.

    >> No luck how?

    > Sorry, that was remarkably undescriptive of me.
    >
    > I checked the net.cfg and everything had the correct settings for this
    > driver. I monkeyed with it and tried various alternatives, but nothing
    > changed.

    Does the driver load and not work, or does it not even load?

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | Atheism is a non-prophet organization. |

  12. Re: DOS Client

    David Gersic wrote:

    > Does the driver load and not work, or does it not even load?

    The driver doesn't load. I'm becoming convinced that I just have a bad
    NIC. I'm not getting a link light or anything. I'm going to talk to the
    guy who sold it to me and ask if I can test the driver on a different
    unit.

    Thanks again for your help.

    --
    Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Bolen Books.
    Dale Friesen, Sysadmin
    Bolen Books, Inc Victoria, BC Canada
    dalef@bolen.bc.ca http://www.bolen.bc.ca

+ Reply to Thread