Help with printing setup - Netware

This is a discussion on Help with printing setup - Netware ; Hi. Situation: Netware 3.12 network. Mostly DOS workstations (running Accpac for DOS) with printing setup using RPRINTER. One DOS computer died and we're trying to use a Windows 98 PC to control the printer the old DOS PC used to ...

  1. Help with printing setup

    Hi.

    Situation:
    Netware 3.12 network. Mostly DOS workstations (running Accpac for
    DOS) with printing setup using RPRINTER.

    One DOS computer died and we're trying to use a Windows 98 PC to
    control the printer the old DOS PC used to have.

    So, a NetWare 3.12 network, Windows 98 workstation, Okidata dot matrix
    printer.

    How do I set it up?

  2. Re: Help with printing setup

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 01:45:50 GMT, Prime Computer Services wrote:
    > Situation:
    > Netware 3.12 network. Mostly DOS workstations (running Accpac for
    > DOS) with printing setup using RPRINTER.

    You realize that that's about 10 years past the end of it's useful
    and supported life, right?

    > One DOS computer died and we're trying to use a Windows 98 PC to
    > control the printer the old DOS PC used to have.
    >
    > So, a NetWare 3.12 network, Windows 98 workstation, Okidata dot matrix
    > printer.
    >
    > How do I set it up?

    I seem to recall there being a Win95 version of Rprinter released
    at one time.

    This TID may be useful:

    http://www.novell.com/support/search...200%2047249245

    as might this one:

    http://www.novell.com/support/search...200%2047249245

    if you can still find the file referenced in it. Ideally, your printing
    setup should be fine, you just need to get the client piece of it
    running on your Windows98 box.

    Good luck, though, you're probably going to need it.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | He's got both oars in the water, but on the same side of the boat. |

  3. Re: Help with printing setup

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 17:31:41 +0000 (UTC), David Gersic

    Thanks for the reply, David.

    >On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 01:45:50 GMT, Prime Computer Services wrote:
    >> Situation:
    >> Netware 3.12 network. Mostly DOS workstations (running Accpac for
    >> DOS) with printing setup using RPRINTER.

    >You realize that that's about 10 years past the end of it's useful
    >and supported life, right?

    Painfully aware. The client is *ahem* "frugal"

    >> One DOS computer died and we're trying to use a Windows 98 PC to
    >> control the printer the old DOS PC used to have.
    >>
    >> So, a NetWare 3.12 network, Windows 98 workstation, Okidata dot matrix
    >> printer.
    >>
    >> How do I set it up?

    >I seem to recall there being a Win95 version of Rprinter released
    >at one time.
    >
    >This TID may be useful:
    >
    >http://www.novell.com/support/search...200%2047249245

    Rprinter works in Windows 95 but not in Windows 98.

    >as might this one:
    >
    >http://www.novell.com/support/search...200%2047249245

    Nprinter is only for NetWare 4.x. 3.x requires rprinter, but it won;t
    load in Win98. I have a vague recollection of a registry entry that
    allowed it to work, but I can find nothing in either Google of at
    Novell.com

    Our next step it to see if we can still find DOS drivers for the NIC,
    then try wiping the drive and installing plain DOS.

    >if you can still find the file referenced in it. Ideally, your printing
    >setup should be fine, you just need to get the client piece of it
    >running on your Windows98 box.
    >
    >Good luck, though, you're probably going to need it.

    Amen, and thanks.

  4. Re: Help with printing setup

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 17:55:59 GMT, Prime Computer Services wrote:
    >>http://www.novell.com/support/search...200%2047249245

    > Nprinter is only for NetWare 4.x. 3.x requires rprinter, but it won;t
    > load in Win98.

    It's been a *long* time, but I seem to recall that nprinter would work
    with either NW4 or NW3.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | Where there's smoke, there's toast. |

  5. Re: Help with printing setup

    On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 02:16:19 +0000 (UTC), David Gersic
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 17:55:59 GMT, Prime Computer Services wrote:
    >>>http://www.novell.com/support/search...200%2047249245

    >> Nprinter is only for NetWare 4.x. 3.x requires rprinter, but it won;t
    >> load in Win98.

    >It's been a *long* time, but I seem to recall that nprinter would work
    >with either NW4 or NW3.

    That's my problem too -- such a long time. I couldn't remember any of
    it, but Google searches led me to a number of hits that said Nprinter
    was strictly for NetWare 4.x and Rprinter was for 3.x I also know
    from trying that Rprinter won't load in Win98. At least, if there's a
    trick to doing it, I can't figure out how.

    Thanks for trying. I think the only approach is to format and install
    DOS with Rprinter. All he wants to do is share the printer - no work
    will be done on the machine. My only trepidation is finding the
    drivers for te NIC.

  6. Re: Help with printing setup

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 01:45:50 GMT, Prime Computer Services wrote:

    > Situation:
    > Netware 3.12 network. Mostly DOS workstations (running Accpac for
    > DOS) with printing setup using RPRINTER.

    > One DOS computer died and we're trying to use a Windows 98 PC to
    > control the printer the old DOS PC used to have.

    > So, a NetWare 3.12 network, Windows 98 workstation, Okidata dot matrix
    > printer.

    > How do I set it up?

    I remember using i-queue server a DOS based replacement for RPRINTER to
    overcome the limit of 16 (or was it 32) print queues on the netware
    printserver. I think that there was also a Win95 based version that I
    wasn't too impressed by.

    Google found this link (and several similar):

    Also from :

    If you want to try RPRINTER, you can also experiment
    with the following suggestions.

    2.) Run Windows in Standard Mode (WIN /S) on PCs that are
    running RPRINTER.

    3.) Disable the Windows print manager.

    4.) Try increasing the SPX timeout values specified in your
    NET.CFG (or SHELL.CFG). For example:

    SPX ABORT TIMEOUT = 4000
    SPX LISTEN TIMEOUT = 2500

    5.) If you are using a PS/2 Model 56 or similar system, run
    the Reference Diskette, and ensure that DMA Arbitration
    is disabled.

    6.) With a newer version of RPRINTER (such as the one in
    PSERV6.EXE in the NOVLIB Library), try using the -P
    parameter for polled operation.

    Philip

    --
    Philip Chee ,
    [ ]Pound forehead on keyboard to continue.

  7. Re: Help with printing setup

    On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 02:10:20 +0800, Philip Chee
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 01:45:50 GMT, Prime Computer Services wrote:
    >
    >> Situation:
    >> Netware 3.12 network. Mostly DOS workstations (running Accpac for
    >> DOS) with printing setup using RPRINTER.

    >> One DOS computer died and we're trying to use a Windows 98 PC to
    >> control the printer the old DOS PC used to have.

    >> So, a NetWare 3.12 network, Windows 98 workstation, Okidata dot matrix
    >> printer.

    >> How do I set it up?

    >I remember using i-queue server a DOS based replacement for RPRINTER to
    >overcome the limit of 16 (or was it 32) print queues on the netware
    >printserver. I think that there was also a Win95 based version that I
    >wasn't too impressed by.

    Thanks for posting, Philip
    The problem is not the number of queues. The problem is Rprinter will
    not load on a Windows 98 (NOT 95) PC.

    >Google found this link (and several similar):
    >

    >Also from :
    >
    > If you want to try RPRINTER, you can also experiment
    > with the following suggestions.
    >
    > 2.) Run Windows in Standard Mode (WIN /S) on PCs that are
    > running RPRINTER.
    >
    > 3.) Disable the Windows print manager.
    >
    > 4.) Try increasing the SPX timeout values specified in your
    > NET.CFG (or SHELL.CFG). For example:
    >
    > SPX ABORT TIMEOUT = 4000
    > SPX LISTEN TIMEOUT = 2500
    >
    > 5.) If you are using a PS/2 Model 56 or similar system, run
    > the Reference Diskette, and ensure that DMA Arbitration
    > is disabled.
    >
    > 6.) With a newer version of RPRINTER (such as the one in
    > PSERV6.EXE in the NOVLIB Library), try using the -P
    > parameter for polled operation.
    >
    >Philip

    The point is now moot. We formatted the hard drive and installed DOS.
    Thanks anyway, Philip.

+ Reply to Thread