FAT Errors with Netware 3.2 - Netware

This is a discussion on FAT Errors with Netware 3.2 - Netware ; Hi All Getting repeated FAT errors which usually are all related to incorrect free space allocation - about 20000 on each repair... why? what do I do to stop this - I seem to be running vrepair on a daily ...

  1. FAT Errors with Netware 3.2

    Hi All

    Getting repeated FAT errors which usually are all related to incorrect free
    space allocation - about 20000 on each repair... why? what do I do to stop
    this - I seem to be running vrepair on a daily basis over the last few days
    :-(

  2. Re: FAT Errors with Netware 3.2

    On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 08:25:11 +0200, Donald Leask wrote:
    > Getting repeated FAT errors which usually are all related to incorrect free
    > space allocation - about 20000 on each repair... why?

    Could be a failing disk, or a buggy driver. Has this just started happening
    recently, or has it being going on for a while? Have you checked to see if
    the redirection area on the disk(s) is being used?

    > what do I do to stop
    > this - I seem to be running vrepair on a daily basis over the last few days

    Well, 3.12 was last "current" and supported about 10 years ago. Have you
    considered upgrading?

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | SAAB: Swedish Automobile - Always Broken |

  3. Re: FAT Errors with Netware 3.2

    > On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 08:25:11 +0200, Donald Leask wrote:
    >> Getting repeated FAT errors which usually are all related to incorrect
    >> free
    >> space allocation - about 20000 on each repair... why?

    > Could be a failing disk, or a buggy driver. Has this just started
    > happening
    > recently, or has it being going on for a while? Have you checked to see if
    > the redirection area on the disk(s) is being used?
    >
    >> what do I do to stop
    >> this - I seem to be running vrepair on a daily basis over the last few
    >> days

    > Well, 3.12 was last "current" and supported about 10 years ago. Have you
    > considered upgrading?

    Yes this is recent.
    Don't need to upgrade - 3.12 perfect for this system.
    How do I check the redirection area again?

    Don.

  4. Re: FAT Errors with Netware 3.2

    On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 15:33:33 +0200, Donald Leask wrote:
    > How do I check the redirection area again?

    It's been a long time since I touched a NW 3.x server. From what I recall,
    there's a disk status display in Monitor that will show you the redirection
    blocks and how many have been used. Look for "hot fix". When you set up
    the disk, some percentage of it was allocated to the hot fix area. When
    a block fails, writing to it causes an error, which then redirects the
    write to one of the hot fix blocks. When you run out of hot fix blocks,
    you start seeing the disk errors.

    If it's not shown in Monitor, you may have to go in to Install and look
    at the disk info in there.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | They told me I was gullible ... and I believed them! |

+ Reply to Thread