Keeping Policy Packages in the Lan - Netware

This is a discussion on Keeping Policy Packages in the Lan - Netware ; We use Zenworks 6.5 and 7. We are a county wide school system and have some teachers that move from school to school and they need to change their environment according to their school. What we want to do is ...

  1. Keeping Policy Packages in the Lan

    We use Zenworks 6.5 and 7. We are a county wide school system and have
    some teachers that move from school to school and they need to change
    their environment according to their school. What we want to do is
    create a user account in the the teacher's base school and add that
    teacher to the other schools that they go to. Teacher accounts have a
    GroupWise account associated with them and a distribution list linked
    to the teacher group for that container.

    So at present we have a alias in all remote location (remote as far as
    the teacher base school is concerned) and also add that teacher into
    the remote container's teacher group. This causes the policy packages
    from the base location to travel across the wan to the remote login
    and that is completely undesirable.

    The only policy package we want across the wan is for the technicians.
    Does anybody know how we can get to work this way? I know we could do
    a lot to minimize the wan traffic but instead we want it so that when
    the teacher is at the high school he gets the high school policy and
    when at the middle school she gets the middle school policy!

  2. Re: Keeping Policy Packages in the Lan

    On 20 Feb 2007 05:20:13 -0800, barrycavanaugh@gmail.com wrote:
    > We use Zenworks 6.5 and 7.

    You might try asking in Novell's support newsgroup(s) for ZenWorks.
    These are available from their site:

    http://support.novell.com/forums/ind...uplnav4_forums

    > We are a county wide school system and have
    > some teachers that move from school to school and they need to change
    > their environment according to their school.

    I don't think this plan is going to work for you. I could be wrong, but
    from what I recall of the ZenWorks policy stuff, the policy they get is
    going to be associated with their User object, a Group, or their
    Container. Just because their physical location changed, they're not
    going to get a different set of policies.

    Maybe you can be more specific as to what you're trying to do. Shouldn't
    the policies that apply to them (person, employee, teacher) apply no
    matter which school they're currently in? If there are school specific
    things to be done, perhaps you can do those via Workstation policies?

    > So at present we have a alias in all remote location

    An alias "object" isn't really an object, so it's not going to pick up
    any policies or anything like that. It's just a pointer to the real
    object.

    > the teacher base school is concerned) and also add that teacher into
    > the remote container's teacher group. This causes the policy packages
    > from the base location to travel across the wan to the remote login
    > and that is completely undesirable.

    Then you'll either have to forgo using a user associated policy for
    whatever it is you're trying to do, or create multiple accounts, one per
    site, for this person to use. Niether is especially desirable, I guess.

    > The only policy package we want across the wan is for the technicians.
    > Does anybody know how we can get to work this way?

    Like I said, I don't think this is going to work, but laying out what
    you're trying to do and asking in the ZenWorks support forum may yield
    some more helpful ideas and suggestions on how to do it.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | He's got an intellect rivaled only by garden tools. |

  3. Re: Keeping Policy Packages in the Lan

    Thanks for the reply,

    We have really just upgraded and combined all our trees. We have been
    using policies to set what is available on the desktop through folder
    shortcuts and a handful of registry keys via adm files, along with
    desktop bmps and stuff.

    Anyway I'm hitting a dead in on the direction I want to go because of
    the forces that be...

    Thanks again,
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread