netware 4.1 disk replacement - Netware

This is a discussion on netware 4.1 disk replacement - Netware ; Hello there, I haven't worked with Novell in a long time. I have a customer on 4.1 who I think just had a drive fail in a mirrored pair What is the nlm I load to check mirror status? Do ...

  1. netware 4.1 disk replacement

    Hello there,
    I haven't worked with Novell in a long time. I have a customer on 4.1
    who I think just had a drive
    fail in a mirrored pair
    What is the nlm I load to check mirror status?
    Do I need to break the mirror first before replacing the drive, then
    remirror after the drive is replaced?
    Any advice? (other than finding a 4.1 expert)

  2. Re: netware 4.1 disk replacement

    On 16 Dec 2006 17:24:33 -0800, J wrote:
    > What is the nlm I load to check mirror status?

    If I recall correctly, it's install.nlm. But it's been a _long_ time
    since I saw a live 4.1 server.

    > Do I need to break the mirror first before replacing the drive, then
    > remirror after the drive is replaced?

    If one drive is dead, the mirror is _already_ broken. Replace it, and
    mirror the good one to the replacment. Be careful not to do it backwards
    or you'll end up with a nice blank pair of mirrored drives.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | And now, Crime-stoppers, let's repeat the "Crime-stopper's Oath"... |

  3. Re: netware 4.1 disk replacement

    Thanks David. I know I haven't seen any novell server in a while. I
    remember the install.nlm. I know it was where you could edit the
    autoexec and startup ncf files. Didn't remember it was where mirrors
    would be defined.
    David Gersic wrote:
    > On 16 Dec 2006 17:24:33 -0800, J wrote:
    > > What is the nlm I load to check mirror status?

    > If I recall correctly, it's install.nlm. But it's been a _long_ time
    > since I saw a live 4.1 server.
    >
    > > Do I need to break the mirror first before replacing the drive, then
    > > remirror after the drive is replaced?

    > If one drive is dead, the mirror is _already_ broken. Replace it, and
    > mirror the good one to the replacment. Be careful not to do it backwards
    > or you'll end up with a nice blank pair of mirrored drives.
    >
    > --
    > | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    > | And now, Crime-stoppers, let's repeat the "Crime-stopper's Oath"... |
    > | Email address is a spam trap. Visit the web site for contact info. |

  4. Re: netware 4.1 disk replacement

    On 16 Dec 2006 17:24:33 -0800, "J" wrote:

    >Hello there,
    >I haven't worked with Novell in a long time. I have a customer on 4.1
    >who I think just had a drive
    >fail in a mirrored pair
    >What is the nlm I load to check mirror status?
    >Do I need to break the mirror first before replacing the drive, then
    >remirror after the drive is replaced?
    >Any advice? (other than finding a 4.1 expert)

    suggest you use the newsserver
    support-forums.novell.com
    and ask on
    novell.support.netware.4x

    there are still several active folk there who may well be up to speed.

    --
    AnthonyL

  5. Re: netware 4.1 disk replacement

    J ha scritto:

    > Hello there,
    > I haven't worked with Novell in a long time. I have a customer on 4.1
    > who I think just had a drive
    > fail in a mirrored pair
    > What is the nlm I load to check mirror status?

    In INSTALL.NLM you can check the mirror status of the logical drive.
    You also can type MIRROR STATUS at the server console to obtain
    information about
    the mirror sets on your machine.

    > Do I need to break the mirror first before replacing the drive, then
    > remirror after the drive is replaced?

    It's not mandatory, but it's better. Break the mirror, replace the
    drive (if it's hot-swap), recreate the mirror and wait until the mirror
    operation completes.

    > Any advice? (other than finding a 4.1 expert)

    It's better if , during the remirror task, no user works on the server,
    this because the remirror task is very
    intensive. Remirror can slow down other operations and other operations
    can slow down remirror...

    Bye

+ Reply to Thread