Can't access 4.12 server - Netware

This is a discussion on Can't access 4.12 server - Netware ; A client still has a 4.12 server and as explained below* after several years of trouble free running something happened over the weekend and now the server cannot be seen. Using Client32 the Tree can be seen and the Name ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Can't access 4.12 server

  1. Can't access 4.12 server

    A client still has a 4.12 server and as explained below* after several
    years of trouble free running something happened over the weekend and
    now the server cannot be seen.

    Using Client32 the Tree can be seen and the Name Context.
    However when browsing for the Server it is not displayed under the
    Context.

    It is a single server installation and there is no other NDS on the
    network.

    I'm very rusty on all this now and the machine is a production server.


    How do I get the server service back?


    * Over the weekend an IT company did a migration of all users (Windows
    2000 workstations) to a new ADS domain using something called Quest.
    During this the company reported that the Netware server had lost its
    volumes and the disk raid lights were showing orange. For some
    unexplained reason they then ran a DSRepair.

    Anyone know what this Quest is and are there tools now to migrate
    Netware to an ADS?

    All help gratefully received as I'm losing sleep over this.


    --
    AnthonyL

  2. Re: Can't access 4.12 server

    On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 03:34:23 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:
    > A client still has a 4.12 server and as explained below* after several
    > years of trouble free running something happened over the weekend and
    > now the server cannot be seen.
    >
    > Using Client32 the Tree can be seen and the Name Context.


    Sounds like SYS: is no longer mounted. The server is still advertising
    its name and the Tree name via SAP, but it's not actually working.


    > * Over the weekend an IT company did a migration of all users (Windows
    > 2000 workstations) to a new ADS domain using something called Quest.


    Ok, that's interesting, but probably not relevant to the problem.

    > During this the company reported that the Netware server had lost its
    > volumes and the disk raid lights were showing orange.


    *This* is probably relevant. Sounds like the disk subsystem went
    castors-up. That would dismount the SYS: volume. What's been done since
    then?

    > For some
    > unexplained reason they then ran a DSRepair.


    And the results of this were...?


    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | Macho Law forbids me from admitting I'm wrong. |
    | Email address is a spam trap. Visit the web site for contact info. |

  3. Re: Can't access 4.12 server

    Thanks for responding David. Responses in-line.

    On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 04:23:21 +0000 (UTC), David Gersic
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 03:34:23 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:
    >> A client still has a 4.12 server and as explained below* after several
    >> years of trouble free running something happened over the weekend and
    >> now the server cannot be seen.
    >>
    >> Using Client32 the Tree can be seen and the Name Context.

    >
    >Sounds like SYS: is no longer mounted. The server is still advertising
    >its name and the Tree name via SAP, but it's not actually working.
    >


    SYS: is loaded as are the other two volumes. In fact (apart from the
    fact I haven't attached a tape drive) there are no errors that I can
    see on the server console which comes with the prompt

    server_name:

    >
    >> * Over the weekend an IT company did a migration of all users (Windows
    >> 2000 workstations) to a new ADS domain using something called Quest.

    >
    >Ok, that's interesting, but probably not relevant to the problem.


    I've done a google search for this and quoting from:

    http://www.whycore.co.uk/smartPortal...26164EE0CA9D75


    AD Migration Suite.

    The Quest Migration Suite for Active Directory is a solution for
    planning and executing migration projects to Active Directory from
    Windows NT, Novell NDS, or even Active Directory. This powerful
    solution offers no interruption to your business workflow and offers
    four key components.



    They were not supposed to touch the Novell server.

    >
    >> During this the company reported that the Netware server had lost its
    >> volumes and the disk raid lights were showing orange.

    >
    >*This* is probably relevant. Sounds like the disk subsystem went
    >castors-up. That would dismount the SYS: volume. What's been done since
    >then?
    >
    >> For some
    >> unexplained reason they then ran a DSRepair.

    >
    >And the results of this were...?
    >


    We have the problem that now exists. I am trying to get further
    information but the client needs their server back on-line.


    --
    AnthonyL

  4. Re: Can't access 4.12 server

    Just to follow on I have just setup a Client32 to do a bindery only
    and I can log on to the server.

    So it seems to have got separated from the tree. Any idea what is the
    best way to put it back remembering that it is single server?

    Many thanks


    --
    AnthonyL

  5. Re: Can't access 4.12 server

    On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 10:28:04 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:
    >>> For some
    >>> unexplained reason they then ran a DSRepair.

    >>
    >>And the results of this were...?

    >
    > We have the problem that now exists.


    You missed the point of the question. DSRepair has many options,
    but you didn't specify which ones they used / selected. Nor did
    you say what the results were from DSRepair (look in its log file
    if they also don't know). Did it find any problems? Did it fix
    anything? Were there any errors reported?

    In DSRepair, there's an option on the main menu for Login and Log
    File Configuration. If you go in there, can you log in using the
    admin account and password?


    > I am trying to get further
    > information but the client needs their server back on-line.


    Given what you've told me so far, that's good to know, but not especially
    relevant. I'm trying to help you, but need more information in order to
    do so. They're running an ancient version of NetWare, so their support
    options are pretty limited. I haven't seen or touched a NetWare 4.x server
    since 1999, so I'm going to have to ask more questions than if they
    were running something current. Many of the major details are the same
    in current versions, but many smaller details have changed from version
    to version and service pack to service pack over the last 7 years.


    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | Newspaper headline: Women's Movement Called More Broad-Based |
    | Email address is a spam trap. Visit the web site for contact info. |

  6. Re: Can't access 4.12 server

    On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 11:19:06 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:
    > Just to follow on I have just setup a Client32 to do a bindery only
    > and I can log on to the server.


    Interesting. That seems to indicate that directory services is working,
    since bindery emulation requires directory services.

    > So it seems to have got separated from the tree. Any idea what is the
    > best way to put it back remembering that it is single server?


    Can't be "separated". If it were, it wouldn't be working at all.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | Sooner or later, doesn't EVERYONE quit smoking? |
    | Email address is a spam trap. Visit the web site for contact info. |

  7. Re: Can't access 4.2 server (not 4.12)

    On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 16:28:07 +0000 (UTC), David Gersic
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 10:28:04 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:
    >>>> For some
    >>>> unexplained reason they then ran a DSRepair.
    >>>
    >>>And the results of this were...?

    >>
    >> We have the problem that now exists.

    >
    >You missed the point of the question. DSRepair has many options,
    >but you didn't specify which ones they used / selected. Nor did
    >you say what the results were from DSRepair (look in its log file
    >if they also don't know). Did it find any problems? Did it fix
    >anything? Were there any errors reported?


    Firstly sorry for any confusion but the server is the latest patch of
    4.2 (don't know where 4.12 came from).

    As far as I know the automatic option of DSREPAIR was run with lots of
    errors.

    >
    >In DSRepair, there's an option on the main menu for Login and Log
    >File Configuration. If you go in there, can you log in using the
    >admin account and password?


    Wherever I have reached an option to login on the server I fail. I am
    using cn=admin.o=context.

    >
    >
    >> I am trying to get further
    >> information but the client needs their server back on-line.

    >
    >Given what you've told me so far, that's good to know, but not especially
    >relevant. I'm trying to help you, but need more information in order to
    >do so. They're running an ancient version of NetWare, so their support
    >options are pretty limited. I haven't seen or touched a NetWare 4.x server
    >since 1999, so I'm going to have to ask more questions than if they
    >were running something current. Many of the major details are the same
    >in current versions, but many smaller details have changed from version
    >to version and service pack to service pack over the last 7 years.
    >


    Yes, fading memory is one of my problems.

    There are 3 volumes and I there is nothing but Netware on SYS: so I
    can afford to lose that readily. There is nothing complex about the
    setup of the directories or users and it is no big deal to re-create
    them. It's all on a RAID 5 so I can't disconnect a drive.

    If it is safe just to delete the NDS and recreate manually then that
    will work well for me.

    Many thanks



    --
    AnthonyL

  8. Re: Can't access 4.2 server (not 4.12)

    On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 18:20:31 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:
    > As far as I know the automatic option of DSREPAIR was run with lots of
    > errors.


    I don't recall what that menu choice is labled in that version, but it
    often shows lots of errors. Most of them aren't, actually.

    I don't think you have a DS problem, though that remains to be seen.
    Let's stay away from dsrepair for now.

    >>In DSRepair, there's an option on the main menu for Login and Log
    >>File Configuration. If you go in there, can you log in using the
    >>admin account and password?

    >
    > Wherever I have reached an option to login on the server I fail. I am
    > using cn=admin.o=context.


    Try .admin.container instead. Or, possibly .cn=admin.o=container .


    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | Cows in orbit: The herd shot around the world. |
    | Email address is a spam trap. Visit the web site for contact info. |

  9. Re: Can't access 4.2 server (not 4.12)

    On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 03:35:07 +0000 (UTC), David Gersic
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 18:20:31 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:
    >> As far as I know the automatic option of DSREPAIR was run with lots of
    >> errors.

    >
    >I don't recall what that menu choice is labled in that version, but it
    >often shows lots of errors. Most of them aren't, actually.
    >
    >I don't think you have a DS problem, though that remains to be seen.
    >Let's stay away from dsrepair for now.
    >
    >>>In DSRepair, there's an option on the main menu for Login and Log
    >>>File Configuration. If you go in there, can you log in using the
    >>>admin account and password?

    >>
    >> Wherever I have reached an option to login on the server I fail. I am
    >> using cn=admin.o=context.

    >
    >Try .admin.container instead. Or, possibly .cn=admin.o=container .
    >


    Just to close this off, removing the DS and creating a new one has
    sorted the server. There is no doubt that the DS was trashed.

    The login then worked as expected.

    Restore of the arcserve created servdata.nds using Load Install
    failed, as did the restore of the newly created DS (backup.nds). I
    intend to retest on a test server ensuring the latest version of DS.


    --
    AnthonyL

  10. Re: Can't access 4.2 server (not 4.12)

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:58:52 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:
    > Restore of the arcserve created servdata.nds using Load Install
    > failed


    servdata.nds is only a "skeleton" of the database and can only be used
    to restore in a multi-server environment where you have other replicas
    of the data to work with.


    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | Real Newspaper Headline: EYE DROPS OFF SHELF |
    | Email address is a spam trap. Visit the web site for contact info. |

  11. Re: Can't access 4.2 server (not 4.12)

    On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 00:01:08 +0000 (UTC), David Gersic
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:58:52 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:
    >> Restore of the arcserve created servdata.nds using Load Install
    >> failed

    >
    >servdata.nds is only a "skeleton" of the database and can only be used
    >to restore in a multi-server environment where you have other replicas
    >of the data to work with.
    >


    Thanks. Better that it not be created then. In retrospect there was
    absolutely no point in running this server in NDS. Presumably there
    is no point ever in running a single server using NDS if it is known
    that there will only be the one server.


    --
    AnthonyL

+ Reply to Thread