HELP, NetWare 6.5 Setting Interrupts - Netware

This is a discussion on HELP, NetWare 6.5 Setting Interrupts - Netware ; Running NetWare 6.5 SP5 in cluster. Believe we are experiencing interrupt starvation between our integrated RAID controller, integrated NIC and HBA (Host Bus Adapter) which facilitates connection to SAN. Have tried: LOAD CPQRAID.HAM INT=10 SLOT=10018 LOAD QL2300.HAM INT=11 SLOT=201 /LUNS ...

  1. HELP, NetWare 6.5 Setting Interrupts

    Running NetWare 6.5 SP5 in cluster.

    Believe we are experiencing interrupt starvation between our integrated
    RAID controller, integrated NIC and HBA (Host Bus Adapter) which
    facilitates connection to SAN.

    Have tried:
    LOAD CPQRAID.HAM INT=10 SLOT=10018
    LOAD QL2300.HAM INT=11 SLOT=201 /LUNS /QUALIFIED /PORTNAMES
    LOAD QL2300.HAM INT=11 SLOT=202 /LUNS /QUALIFIED /PORTNAMES

    also tried:
    LOAD CPQRAID.HAM SLOT=10018 INT=10
    LOAD QL2300.HAM SLOT=201 INT=11 /LUNS /QUALIFIED /PORTNAMES
    LOAD QL2300.HAM SLOT=202 INT=11 /LUNS /QUALIFIED /PORTNAMES

    also tried in HEX:
    LOAD CPQRAID.HAM INT=A SLOT=10018
    LOAD QL2300.HAM INT=B SLOT=201 /LUNS /QUALIFIED /PORTNAMES
    LOAD QL2300.HAM INT=B SLOT=202 /LUNS /QUALIFIED /PORTNAMES

    No changes are being reflected. HP/CPQ BIOS only allows 5 or 7, we
    need to utilize a higher priority for the disk subsystem and the HBAs
    which access a large SAN.

    NetWare looks in this order: 0, 1, 8, (2/9), 10 ,11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 3,
    4, 5, 6, 7. Default is 5 for just about all which is changed
    dynamically. We have five new servers in a cluster, so this is not a
    resource issue, we believe it is a interrupt starvation issue.

    Any help would be appreciated!

    Regards,

    DRubery

  2. Re: HELP, NetWare 6.5 Setting Interrupts

    If you're REALLY experiencing hardware interrupt starvation, you've got
    REALLY serious problems. In 99.999999% of times IRQ starvation is a
    really f**ked up computer! I seem to remember QLogic 2300 is an iSCSI
    card (could be wrong - it's from memory). Given that, it's more likely
    the issue exists on the network. Have you noticed all bunch of
    performance patches Novell released recently?
    INT=10 is that same as INT=A (16 interrupts in AT class).
    I'm intrested, why do you say you've got interrupt starvation? Is the
    problem a slow down in access to files? How is the manifestation of the
    problem?

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:36:51 -0700, DRubery wrote:

    > Running NetWare 6.5 SP5 in cluster.
    >
    > Believe we are experiencing interrupt starvation between our integrated
    > RAID controller, integrated NIC and HBA (Host Bus Adapter) which
    > facilitates connection to SAN.
    >
    > Have tried:
    > LOAD CPQRAID.HAM INT=10 SLOT=10018
    > LOAD QL2300.HAM INT=11 SLOT=201 /LUNS /QUALIFIED /PORTNAMES
    > LOAD QL2300.HAM INT=11 SLOT=202 /LUNS /QUALIFIED /PORTNAMES
    >
    > also tried:
    > LOAD CPQRAID.HAM SLOT=10018 INT=10
    > LOAD QL2300.HAM SLOT=201 INT=11 /LUNS /QUALIFIED /PORTNAMES
    > LOAD QL2300.HAM SLOT=202 INT=11 /LUNS /QUALIFIED /PORTNAMES
    >
    > also tried in HEX:
    > LOAD CPQRAID.HAM INT=A SLOT=10018
    > LOAD QL2300.HAM INT=B SLOT=201 /LUNS /QUALIFIED /PORTNAMES
    > LOAD QL2300.HAM INT=B SLOT=202 /LUNS /QUALIFIED /PORTNAMES
    >
    > No changes are being reflected. HP/CPQ BIOS only allows 5 or 7, we
    > need to utilize a higher priority for the disk subsystem and the HBAs
    > which access a large SAN.
    >
    > NetWare looks in this order: 0, 1, 8, (2/9), 10 ,11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 3,
    > 4, 5, 6, 7. Default is 5 for just about all which is changed
    > dynamically. We have five new servers in a cluster, so this is not a
    > resource issue, we believe it is a interrupt starvation issue.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > DRubery

  3. Re: HELP, NetWare 6.5 Setting Interrupts

    Lord Ice,

    Thanks for your reply. As it turns out that is Symantec/Veritas's way
    of bailing on a tech support call (And I fell for it.)

    Bottom line after spending hours on the phone with Veritas Backup Exec
    and Symantec Antivirus engineers and then calling Symantec coorporate
    in Cupertino California... The answer (however unacceptable) is they
    want us to load SAV during backups.

    We have users working remotely transferring files and then GrouWise is
    also monitored by SAV, so unloading it is not acceptable.

    We are looking into another solution. Thanks again.

    Lord Ice wrote:
    > If you're REALLY experiencing hardware interrupt starvation, you've got
    > REALLY serious problems. In 99.999999% of times IRQ starvation is a
    > really f**ked up computer! I seem to remember QLogic 2300 is an iSCSI
    > card (could be wrong - it's from memory). Given that, it's more likely
    > the issue exists on the network. Have you noticed all bunch of
    > performance patches Novell released recently?
    > INT=10 is that same as INT=A (16 interrupts in AT class).
    > I'm intrested, why do you say you've got interrupt starvation? Is the
    > problem a slow down in access to files? How is the manifestation of the
    > problem?
    >
    > On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:36:51 -0700, DRubery wrote:
    >
    > > Running NetWare 6.5 SP5 in cluster.
    > >
    > > Believe we are experiencing interrupt starvation between our integrated
    > > RAID controller, integrated NIC and HBA (Host Bus Adapter) which
    > > facilitates connection to SAN.
    > >
    > > Have tried:
    > > LOAD CPQRAID.HAM INT=10 SLOT=10018
    > > LOAD QL2300.HAM INT=11 SLOT=201 /LUNS /QUALIFIED /PORTNAMES
    > > LOAD QL2300.HAM INT=11 SLOT=202 /LUNS /QUALIFIED /PORTNAMES
    > >
    > > also tried:
    > > LOAD CPQRAID.HAM SLOT=10018 INT=10
    > > LOAD QL2300.HAM SLOT=201 INT=11 /LUNS /QUALIFIED /PORTNAMES
    > > LOAD QL2300.HAM SLOT=202 INT=11 /LUNS /QUALIFIED /PORTNAMES
    > >
    > > also tried in HEX:
    > > LOAD CPQRAID.HAM INT=A SLOT=10018
    > > LOAD QL2300.HAM INT=B SLOT=201 /LUNS /QUALIFIED /PORTNAMES
    > > LOAD QL2300.HAM INT=B SLOT=202 /LUNS /QUALIFIED /PORTNAMES
    > >
    > > No changes are being reflected. HP/CPQ BIOS only allows 5 or 7, we
    > > need to utilize a higher priority for the disk subsystem and the HBAs
    > > which access a large SAN.
    > >
    > > NetWare looks in this order: 0, 1, 8, (2/9), 10 ,11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 3,
    > > 4, 5, 6, 7. Default is 5 for just about all which is changed
    > > dynamically. We have five new servers in a cluster, so this is not a
    > > resource issue, we believe it is a interrupt starvation issue.
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated!
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > DRubery

+ Reply to Thread