Multiple NetWare Servers Under 1 Tree - Netware

This is a discussion on Multiple NetWare Servers Under 1 Tree - Netware ; Hello, I work for a school and we're trying to find an easy way to do this. We have 1 Novell NetWare 6.5 server that serves 4 buildings and another server (NetWare 5) that was on a different network. We're ...

  1. Multiple NetWare Servers Under 1 Tree

    Hello,

    I work for a school and we're trying to find an easy way to do this. We
    have 1 Novell NetWare 6.5 server that serves 4 buildings and another
    server (NetWare 5) that was on a different network. We're moving
    buildings around and our current plan is to migrate all the accounts
    out of the other NetWare server onto the main NetWare server.

    What we would like to do is this: keep all the accounts on the one
    server and put it in our current tree and have it work along with the
    main NetWare server.

    Can we do this?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Multiple NetWare Servers Under 1 Tree

    On 13 Jun 2006 16:11:24 -0700, tnewton1@gmail.com wrote:
    > I work for a school and we're trying to find an easy way to do this.

    You have two options:

    1) Remove directory services from one server, then reinstall directory
    services on it, joining it to your other tree at that time.

    2) Merge your two trees in to one, rearrange as needed afterward.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | Windows NT: Insert wallet into Drive A: and press any key to empty. |

  3. Re: Multiple NetWare Servers Under 1 Tree

    Hi,

    Thanks a lot!! I'll forward this information onto the main network
    administrator! Thanks so much for the help.

    David Gersic wrote:
    > On 13 Jun 2006 16:11:24 -0700, tnewton1@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I work for a school and we're trying to find an easy way to do this.

    > You have two options:
    >
    > 1) Remove directory services from one server, then reinstall directory
    > services on it, joining it to your other tree at that time.
    >
    > 2) Merge your two trees in to one, rearrange as needed afterward.
    >

    > --
    > | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    > | Windows NT: Insert wallet into Drive A: and press any key to empty. |
    > | Email address is a spam trap. Visit the web site for contact info. |

  4. Re: Multiple NetWare Servers Under 1 Tree

    Foir starters NetWare stores account information in eDirectory. By
    default eDirectory will creates 3 "copies" of the information, so the
    first 3 servers in your tree should have account information (unless
    you've disabled this).
    Moving users 5.x to 6.x is a little tricky since permissions are GUID
    based on 6.x but not on 5 (they where server centric).
    Why don't you just use the deploy tools, the server consildation tool or
    dirxml (IDM) which is shipped with 6.5?
    Last time we did something similar, we used IDM, it's fairly easy,
    provided you understand the source and target directory stores.
    On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:11:24 -0700, tnewton1 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I work for a school and we're trying to find an easy way to do this. We
    > have 1 Novell NetWare 6.5 server that serves 4 buildings and another
    > server (NetWare 5) that was on a different network. We're moving
    > buildings around and our current plan is to migrate all the accounts
    > out of the other NetWare server onto the main NetWare server.
    >
    > What we would like to do is this: keep all the accounts on the one
    > server and put it in our current tree and have it work along with the
    > main NetWare server.
    >
    > Can we do this?
    >
    > Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread