Netware 3.12 volume space restrictions - Netware

This is a discussion on Netware 3.12 volume space restrictions - Netware ; Hello, We have an interesting problem occurring. We have a Netware server 3.12 which is fully patched. We use one volume to accumulate files that are structured into folders. The volume size is 128GB and there are roughly 89 GB ...

  1. Netware 3.12 volume space restrictions

    Hello,

    We have an interesting problem occurring. We have a Netware server 3.12
    which
    is fully patched. We use one volume to accumulate files that are
    structured into
    folders. The volume size is 128GB and there are roughly 89 GB free,
    meaning that
    there are 39 GB occupying space on this volume. However, we are running
    out
    of DETs (directory entries). Even though there are some 89GB remaining,
    the
    system is reporting that is no more space. This is really because all
    of the directory
    entries are being used. I checked VOLINFO (ver 3.75) and got the
    following information
    for this volume:

    MB total: 128,447
    MB free: 89,146
    Directories total: 2,097,150
    Directories free: 1,735,650

    I don't understand why VOLINFO would report that there is this many
    directories free.
    I have run a purge on this volume. Perhaps a VREPAIR is in order? Is
    there a newer version of VOLINFO or a VOLINFO-like utility that is
    better?

    I did a dir /s on this volume and found out that there are 299,120
    files and 187,046 directories. This is far below the 2 million limit.

    Is there a way to resolve this problem? We really would rather not
    transition to Netware 4, 5 or 6.

    Thanks
    Mike McWhinney

  2. Re: Netware 3.12 volume space restrictions

    The message <1143658838.268543.3210@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.co m>
    from eljainc@sbcglobal.net contains these words:

    > Hello,

    > We have an interesting problem occurring. We have a Netware server 3.12
    > which
    > is fully patched. We use one volume to accumulate files that are
    > structured into
    > folders. The volume size is 128GB and there are roughly 89 GB free,

    How did you manage to create such a large partition? The biggest I
    could manage was 110GB on a "120GB" Samsung Spinpoint but trying to
    create a partition (any size) on a 160 GB Spinpoint just failed, even
    using Samsung's utility to set the drive to report just below the 128GB
    limit.

    > meaning that
    > there are 39 GB occupying space on this volume. However, we are running
    > out
    > of DETs (directory entries). Even though there are some 89GB remaining,
    > the
    > system is reporting that is no more space. This is really because all
    > of the directory
    > entries are being used. I checked VOLINFO (ver 3.75) and got the
    > following information
    > for this volume:

    > MB total: 128,447
    > MB free: 89,146
    > Directories total: 2,097,150
    > Directories free: 1,735,650

    > I don't understand why VOLINFO would report that there is this many
    > directories free.
    > I have run a purge on this volume. Perhaps a VREPAIR is in order? Is
    > there a newer version of VOLINFO or a VOLINFO-like utility that is
    > better?

    > I did a dir /s on this volume and found out that there are 299,120
    > files and 187,046 directories. This is far below the 2 million limit.

    That's a hell of a lot of directories! I gave up using Netware nearly a
    year ago because it simply couldn't "cut it" any more[1] and whilst I'm
    certain I had two or three hundred thousand files on a volume, I don't
    think I had more than 50,000 directories tops.

    > Is there a way to resolve this problem? We really would rather not
    > transition to Netware 4, 5 or 6.

    Why not set up a Linux Box as a server with samba, or use FreeNAS?

    [1] There were basically two reasons why I knocked NW 3.12 on the head.
    The first I've already mentioned (lack of large disk support). The other
    reason was the 'unbreakable' speed limit on disk writes of 1MB/s despite
    a 100Mbps network (disk reads did better at 4MB/s but this is still only
    half of the network's capacity).

    I'm now running Debian on an underclocked, undervolted K6/2/500
    (250MHz!) socket7 MoBo with a cheap PCI Promise "RAID" controller card
    to give LBA48 support to four 320GB WD drives. I can now transfer data
    back and forth over the wire at 7MB/s (just a fraction slower than the
    8MB/s for win2k to win2k PC speeds, but some 7 times faster than the old
    write speed limit of NW 3.12).

    I've not yet tried the FreeNAS boot cd yet, but by all accounts, it
    seems like a good alternative to an expensive Novell solution. Don't get
    me wrong, I'd still be using NW3.12 if it supported the large disk
    drives now required and _didn't_ have a stupid write speed limit
    seemingly based on a 1MB/s max speed of a full duplex 10Mbps network.

    HTH or at least GYFFT.

    --
    Regards, John.

    Please remove the "ohggcyht" before replying.
    The address has been munged to reject Spam-bots.

  3. Re: Netware 3.12 volume space restrictions

    The idea of using a Linux Box as a server or FreeNAS is an interesting
    one. I will have to look into the technical aspects of it. However, we
    have a few Netware clients which are MS-DOS only machines and use the
    VLM drivers to connect to the Netware server. Are there DOS SAMBA
    clients to connect to Linux boxes? Or drivers that integrate with the
    VLM model to connect to a non-Netware server?

    As for your question on how were were able to get a 128GB volume
    created/mounted, we had to use the Promise RAID card netware driver. I
    think I might of had to tweak a couple drivers to get it to work. It is
    unfortunate that we have 200GB hard drives, but only 128GB are
    available to Netware.

    Mike

  4. Re: Netware 3.12 volume space restrictions

    The message <1143668220.898166.17540@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>
    from eljainc@sbcglobal.net contains these words:

    > The idea of using a Linux Box as a server or FreeNAS is an interesting
    > one. I will have to look into the technical aspects of it. However, we
    > have a few Netware clients which are MS-DOS only machines and use the
    > VLM drivers to connect to the Netware server. Are there DOS SAMBA
    > clients to connect to Linux boxes? Or drivers that integrate with the
    > VLM model to connect to a non-Netware server?

    Never researched that question, I'm sorry to say, so can't help on that one.

    > As for your question on how were were able to get a 128GB volume
    > created/mounted, we had to use the Promise RAID card netware driver. I
    > think I might of had to tweak a couple drivers to get it to work. It is
    > unfortunate that we have 200GB hard drives, but only 128GB are
    > available to Netware.

    I was using the latest Promise netware drivers but had no joy. I
    suspect I may have assumed 128GB as the upper limit. I've since
    discovered the LBA limit is more like 127.5GB (CHS derived?), so might
    have still had the drive report too high a capacity. Even so, 127.5GB
    was half what I needed per disk drive at the time so it was finally time
    to call it a day on that venerable 12 years old NOS :-(

    --
    Regards, John.

    Please remove the "ohggcyht" before replying.
    The address has been munged to reject Spam-bots.

  5. Re: Netware 3.12 volume space restrictions

    eljainc@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    > folders. The volume size is 128GB and there are roughly 89 GB free,

    that is huge..

    > I don't understand why VOLINFO would report that there is this many
    > directories free.

    It might handle the volume wrong, as it so big..

    > Is there a way to resolve this problem?

    You need it as one volume?

    > We really would rather not transition to Netware 4, 5 or 6.

    Why not?

    -sk

  6. Re: Netware 3.12 volume space restrictions

    Well, we are not OPPOSED to having a newer version of Netware. We would
    need to have concurrent servers to allow users to have access to the
    current data/applications. We would need a server to set up the new
    Netware, but have the old Netware server still running. Cost and time
    is an issue right now. If we are going to put a lot of $$$ into
    something like this, we might as well bite the bullet and go to Windows
    Server 2003 (Small Business Server)

    Mike

  7. Re: Netware 3.12 volume space restrictions

    On 29 Mar 2006 11:00:38 -0800, eljainc@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > there are 39 GB occupying space on this volume. However, we are running
    > out
    > of DETs (directory entries). Even though there are some 89GB remaining,

    From what I recall, you need the "set maximum percent of volume used by
    directory" setting, or something very similar to that. The default for
    this works fine in most cases, but you're running over what it's configured
    to do. Fix the configuration and you should be ok.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained. |

  8. Re: Netware 3.12 volume space restrictions

    On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:26:26 +0100, Johnny B Good wrote:
    > That's a hell of a lot of directories! I gave up using Netware nearly a
    > year ago because it simply couldn't "cut it" any more[1] and whilst I'm
    > certain I had two or three hundred thousand files on a volume, I don't
    > think I had more than 50,000 directories tops.
    >
    >> Is there a way to resolve this problem? We really would rather not
    >> transition to Netware 4, 5 or 6.

    > Why not set up a Linux Box as a server with samba, or use FreeNAS?

    So you have no relevant knowledge, and don't know the answer to his
    question. Why post an answer that doesn't help the guy out?

    > [1] There were basically two reasons why I knocked NW 3.12 on the head.
    > The first I've already mentioned (lack of large disk support).

    Yeah. Right. NW3.12 was from, what, 1992? Large disks back then were
    2G or so. I had 25+ NW3.xx servers with a combined total disk space that
    was less than my current workstation has in it.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | I majored in liberal arts. Will that be for here or to go? |

  9. Re: Netware 3.12 volume space restrictions

    The message
    from David Gersic contains these
    words:

    > On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:26:26 +0100, Johnny B Good
    > wrote:
    > > That's a hell of a lot of directories! I gave up using Netware nearly a
    > > year ago because it simply couldn't "cut it" any more[1] and whilst I'm
    > > certain I had two or three hundred thousand files on a volume, I don't
    > > think I had more than 50,000 directories tops.
    > >
    > >> Is there a way to resolve this problem? We really would rather not
    > >> transition to Netware 4, 5 or 6.

    > > Why not set up a Linux Box as a server with samba, or use FreeNAS?

    > So you have no relevant knowledge, and don't know the answer to his
    > question. Why post an answer that doesn't help the guy out?

    And, _how_ exactly does _this_ help the OP ?

    > > [1] There were basically two reasons why I knocked NW 3.12 on the head.
    > > The first I've already mentioned (lack of large disk support).

    > Yeah. Right. NW3.12 was from, what, 1992? Large disks back then were
    > 2G or so. I had 25+ NW3.xx servers with a combined total disk space that
    > was less than my current workstation has in it.

    It seems you have even less knowledge than I have already forgotten,
    which considering your comments, would be par for the course.

    --
    Regards, John.

    Please remove the "ohggcyht" before replying.
    The address has been munged to reject Spam-bots.

  10. Re: Netware 3.12 volume space restrictions

    David Gersic wrote:

    > On 29 Mar 2006 11:00:38 -0800, eljainc@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > > there are 39 GB occupying space on this volume. However, we are running
    > > out
    > > of DETs (directory entries). Even though there are some 89GB remaining,

    > From what I recall, you need the "set maximum percent of volume used by
    > directory" setting, or something very similar to that. The default for
    > this works fine in most cases, but you're running over what it's configured
    > to do. Fix the configuration and you should be ok.

    That applies atleast to Nw4.x, don't remember how it was with nw3.x.

    Have to say that NSS is really a nice file system.. no need for vrepairs
    anymore ;D

    -sk

  11. Re: Netware 3.12 volume space restrictions

    On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:05:36 +0100, Johnny B Good wrote:
    >> So you have no relevant knowledge, and don't know the answer to his
    >> question. Why post an answer that doesn't help the guy out?

    > And, _how_ exactly does _this_ help the OP ?

    You might read my other followup. This reply was intended for you.

    > It seems you have even less knowledge than I have already forgotten,

    Uh, huh. Right. Well, good luck with the rest of your life, then.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | You can tell a real programmer by the keyboard dents in his forehead |

  12. Re: Netware 3.12 volume space restrictions

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:28:58 -0800, Sami Kapanen wrote:
    > David Gersic wrote:
    >>
    >> On 29 Mar 2006 11:00:38 -0800, eljainc@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >> > there are 39 GB occupying space on this volume. However, we are running
    >> > out
    >> > of DETs (directory entries). Even though there are some 89GB remaining,

    >> From what I recall, you need the "set maximum percent of volume used by
    >> directory" setting, or something very similar to that. The default for
    >> this works fine in most cases, but you're running over what it's configured
    >> to do. Fix the configuration and you should be ok.

    > That applies atleast to Nw4.x, don't remember how it was with nw3.x.

    NetWare 3.11 System Administration Manual, pg. 253:

    Set maximum percent of volume space used by directory: 13

    Range: 5 - 50

    I don't have anything older than that handy, but if you're running 3.0 or
    3.10, it might have been in there. I mostly skipped over those versions
    for 3.11, so I don't remember them as well.

    > Have to say that NSS is really a nice file system.. no need for vrepairs
    > anymore ;D

    Yeah, now it's poolrebuild instead. Whee.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | Buddist to hot dog vendor: "Make me One with Everything" |

  13. Re: Netware 3.12 volume space restrictions

    The message
    from David Gersic contains these
    words:

    > On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:05:36 +0100, Johnny B Good
    > wrote:
    > >> So you have no relevant knowledge, and don't know the answer to his
    > >> question. Why post an answer that doesn't help the guy out?

    > > And, _how_ exactly does _this_ help the OP ?

    > You might read my other followup. This reply was intended for you.

    > > It seems you have even less knowledge than I have already forgotten,

    > Uh, huh. Right. Well, good luck with the rest of your life, then.

    Well, that's a kind thought, thank you. Since we all need as much good
    fortune in our lives as we can get, I, likewise, wish you the same.

    --
    Regards, John.

    Please remove the "ohggcyht" before replying.
    The address has been munged to reject Spam-bots.

+ Reply to Thread