scan deleted files - Netware

This is a discussion on scan deleted files - Netware ; whenver (very rare) i restart my nw server (4.11) it takes a while to come up; it takes lot of time saying 'scanning deleted files....' but i don't delete anything from workstation; it's a file server; what could be this ...

  1. scan deleted files

    whenver (very rare) i restart my nw server (4.11) it takes a while to
    come up; it takes lot of time saying 'scanning deleted files....' but
    i don't delete anything from workstation; it's a file server; what
    could be this process? help appreciated
    thanks

  2. Re: scan deleted files

    "bk" wrote in news:1142432009.148579.275130
    @j52g2000cwj.googlegroups.com:

    > whenver (very rare) i restart my nw server (4.11) it takes a while to
    > come up; it takes lot of time saying 'scanning deleted files....' but
    > i don't delete anything from workstation; it's a file server; what
    > could be this process? help appreciated
    > thanks

    The deleted files are available for salvaging, until the physical disk
    space is required for other files. The deleted files can therefore be
    several years old.

    Right-click the volume in your Explorer on the workstation, and choose
    "Purge". This will remove the deleted files, and save time during mount.

    HTH,
    Erik Klausen

  3. Re: scan deleted files

    my doubt how this happen since none of the application creates and
    deletes temporary files; i mean where on earth these deleted files come
    in the server?!
    help apprecaited

  4. Re: scan deleted files

    "bk" wrote in news:1142687283.341208.35960
    @j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > my doubt how this happen since none of the application creates and
    > deletes temporary files; i mean where on earth these deleted files come
    > in the server?!
    > help apprecaited

    They can be temporary files made by the server; old log files that get
    deleted automatically, etc. When you start purging, you will see a list of
    files getting purged; that will give you an idea of where the files come
    from.

    You can use the Salvage Files menu option to list the files without purging
    them, but then you will have to guess which folder they are in.

    You next question will be: How do I avoid a build up of new deleted files?
    You can install a CRON utility to run a command every day, and you cn
    install the TOOLBOX.NLM which contains a PURGE command.

    HT,
    Erik Klausen

+ Reply to Thread