"Memory leak" on Netware 6.5 server - Netware

This is a discussion on "Memory leak" on Netware 6.5 server - Netware ; Hi all, We have got a Netware 6.5 two-node cluster with Zen for Desktops installed as a cluster resource. Lately the server running the ZfD resource is having some memory problems. We have 3Gb installed in the server. After a ...

  1. "Memory leak" on Netware 6.5 server

    Hi all,

    We have got a Netware 6.5 two-node cluster with Zen for Desktops installed as a cluster resource. Lately the server running the ZfD resource is having some memory problems. We have 3Gb installed in the server. After a few weeks the available cache buffers go down to 5 - 15% and all this memory is added to the Miscellaneous memory. I have found some Novell TID's saying this is normal behaviour but the other cluster server doesn't show the same symptoms. The affected server keeps running relatively smooth, but after a while the available buffers just get too low.

    I have got two questions:
    - Can anybody tell me what Miscellaneous Memory is used for?
    - Does anybody know what could be the cause of this memory problem?

    Thanks in advance for thinking with me!

    Arnold...

  2. Re: "Memory leak" on Netware 6.5 server

    Your best bet, right now, is to get to the latest service pack on NW65,
    then Google search for Hamish Spiers' new document on memory tuning and
    configuration for NW65.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | First Rule of Intelligent Tinkering: Save all the parts. |

  3. Betr.: Re: "Memory leak" on Netware 6.5 server

    >>> David Gersic 15-03-2006 16:00 >>>
    >Your best bet, right now, is to get to the latest service pack on NW65,
    >then Google search for Hamish Spiers' new document on memory tuning and
    >configuration for NW65.

    David, you are absolutely right. By the way, I forgot to mention that we are running SP4 at the moment so installing SP5 could be a solution. However, I get the feeling that this could also be a ZEN-thing rather than Netware itself. I'm not sure why, but it looks like the Inventory service is claiming too much memory. I am planning to reboot the server on Friday and after that I want to try loading ZEN without the Inventory just to check if it makes a difference. I will post more if something new comes up. Meanwhile, if you think of something else I would be more than happy to hear about it.

    Thanks!
    Arnold...

  4. Re: Betr.: Re: "Memory leak" on Netware 6.5 server

    On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:31:51 +0100, APJ wrote:
    > David, you are absolutely right. By the way, I forgot to mention that
    > we are running SP4 at the moment so installing SP5 could be a solution.
    > However, I get the feeling that this could also be a ZEN-thing rather
    > than Netware itself.

    It is probably a combination of things. Zen inventory is a Java process,
    and Java is notoriously memory hungry. Memory management and leaks are a
    moving target right now with NW65SPx and the services that run on it, and
    there should be more updates coming out to fix the current problems.
    Hamish's document is not a cure, but a pretty good sized band-aid for the
    problems and may be sufficient to get you by.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | Ford: F**ker Only Runs Downhill |

  5. Re: Betr.: Re: "Memory leak" on Netware 6.5 server

    >>> David Gersic 15-03-2006 19:39 >>>
    >It is probably a combination of things. Zen inventory is a Java process,
    >and Java is notoriously memory hungry. Memory management and leaks are a
    >moving target right now with NW65SPx and the services that run on it, and
    >there should be more updates coming out to fix the current problems.
    >Hamish's document is not a cure, but a pretty good sized band-aid for the
    >problems and may be sufficient to get you by.

    Okay, I'll keep my eyes focused on the supportsite! ;-)

    I will install SP5 as soon as possible. Meanwhile, I'm still thinking about shutting down the inventory for a while. We aren't using that feature anyway.

    Thanks for your thoughts so far!

    Arnold...

+ Reply to Thread