Client4.91 - Netware

This is a discussion on Client4.91 - Netware ; My windows XP pro computer crashed and the repair folks reformatted and reinstalled windows. This is a workstation connected to a netware 6.5 server through a router. I tried to install and run netware client for windows v4.91 sp1 but ...

  1. Client4.91

    My windows XP pro computer crashed and the repair folks reformatted and
    reinstalled windows. This is a workstation connected to a netware 6.5 server
    through a router. I tried to install and run netware client for windows
    v4.91 sp1 but when I reboot and the login comes up there is nothing in the
    tree, context and server windows. If you click on a button it searches but
    can't find anything. If I log into windows the big red N is there. The
    repair people tell me they will have to come look at it and since they don't
    support novell (they are the ones who installed it and set it up) that we'll
    have to pay a service call. Its as if it doesn't see a server but I can see
    all the other work stations and I can ping the server. Any ideas?

  2. Re: Client4.91

    On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:30:16 -0600, Ringer wrote:
    > My windows XP pro computer crashed and the repair folks reformatted and
    > reinstalled windows. This is a workstation connected to a netware 6.5 server
    > through a router. I tried to install and run netware client for windows
    > v4.91 sp1 but when I reboot and the login comes up there is nothing in the
    > tree, context and server windows.

    You haven't configured your workstation client to find your Directory
    Agents (DAs) for the Service Location Protocol (SLP).

    Depending on how your network is set up, one of your servers (if you only
    have one, this gets easier) should be configured to be an SLP Directory
    Agent. In the workstation client configuration, put the IP address of the
    SLP DA in to the Service Location tab. Then reboot.

    > repair people tell me they will have to come look at it and since they don't
    > support novell (they are the ones who installed it and set it up) that we'll
    > have to pay a service call.

    Call them back and tell them that since they fscked it up, they can either
    come back and fix it right and to your satisfaction, or you'll hire somebody
    with a clue to provide support. Or, refuse to pay the bill until you're
    happy with the service provided. There's no excuse for leaving you hanging
    without a working setup, if that's what you're paying them for.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | 42?! 7 and a half million years and... - Oh, you were running Windows. |

  3. Re: Client4.91

    David Gersic wrote:

    >On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:30:16 -0600, Ringer wrote:
    >> My windows XP pro computer crashed and the repair folks reformatted and
    >> reinstalled windows. This is a workstation connected to a netware 6.5 server
    >> through a router. I tried to install and run netware client for windows
    >> v4.91 sp1 but when I reboot and the login comes up there is nothing in the
    >> tree, context and server windows.

    If you haven't already tried it, make sure the Windows firewall is
    turned off.

  4. Re: Client4.91

    Ringer wrote:

    > My windows XP pro computer crashed and the repair folks reformatted and
    > reinstalled windows. This is a workstation connected to a netware 6.5 server
    > through a router. I tried to install and run netware client for windows
    > v4.91 sp1 but when I reboot and the login comes up there is nothing in the
    > tree, context and server windows. If you click on a button it searches but
    > can't find anything. If I log into windows the big red N is there. The
    > repair people tell me they will have to come look at it and since they don't
    > support novell (they are the ones who installed it and set it up) that we'll
    > have to pay a service call. Its as if it doesn't see a server but I can see
    > all the other work stations and I can ping the server. Any ideas?

    Put the server IP addres to the Tree: box, then it will attach to the
    tree even if other settings are missing.

    -sk

  5. Re: Client4.91

    Just to update. I got back from vacation and my boss had gotten the repair
    folks to come down while I was gone because the system went down. That was
    due to a faulty hub. While there she said the guy spent 2-3 hours working on
    my PC to get it to log in. He had asked for the winxp cd so I figured he had
    to reformat and reinstall like they had done the week before I had gone on
    vacation. When I checked the PC everything worked but I was missing the $400
    MS Office small business edition program on it. However, when I looked at
    system restore it had checkpoints back to the 7th of march when I had picked
    up the PC from them so I don't see how he reformatted the drive while
    keeping them, so he must have intentionally uninstalled it and, of course,
    they have the installation cd for it. The next day they had faxed us a bill:
    250 for him coming down and 275 for the work they had done on it when it was
    up there. For that I could have bought another PC with windows installed but
    I wouldn't have small business edition on it, but I don't have it now on
    this one. The boss is gonna hit the ceiling when she gets in monday.
    "Sami Kapanen" wrote in message
    > Ringer wrote:
    >>
    >> My windows XP pro computer crashed and the repair folks reformatted and
    >> reinstalled windows. This is a workstation connected to a netware 6.5
    >> server
    >> through a router. I tried to install and run netware client for windows
    >> v4.91 sp1 but when I reboot and the login comes up there is nothing in
    >> the
    >> tree, context and server windows. If you click on a button it searches
    >> but
    >> can't find anything. If I log into windows the big red N is there. The
    >> repair people tell me they will have to come look at it and since they
    >> don't
    >> support novell (they are the ones who installed it and set it up) that
    >> we'll
    >> have to pay a service call. Its as if it doesn't see a server but I can
    >> see
    >> all the other work stations and I can ping the server. Any ideas?

    > Put the server IP addres to the Tree: box, then it will attach to the
    > tree even if other settings are missing.
    >
    > -sk

  6. Re: Client4.91

    On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 07:22:49 -0600, Ringer wrote:
    > Just to update. I got back from vacation and my boss had gotten the repair
    > folks to come down while I was gone because the system went down.

    You're getting screwed by this company. I don't know how else to put it.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | It's called "Windows" because it's such a "pane" to use. |

+ Reply to Thread