Netware 4.11 doesn't recognise all memory - Netware

This is a discussion on Netware 4.11 doesn't recognise all memory - Netware ; Hello, I've already searched extensively on this, but couldn't find a working solution. I have a Netware 4.11 server with 320MB RAM. The BIOS displays the RAM size correctly and multile OS's too (booted from a Linux Live CD and ...

  1. Netware 4.11 doesn't recognise all memory

    Hello,

    I've already searched extensively on this, but couldn't find a working
    solution. I have a Netware 4.11 server with 320MB RAM. The BIOS
    displays the RAM size correctly and multile OS's too (booted from a
    Linux Live CD and a Windows BartPE CD and they both reported 320MB).
    But when I type 'memory' in Netware, it only displays 64000KB.
    There are several solutions to this, none of which worked correctly:

    Remove all memory managers and alike from DOS. I edited config.sys and
    autoexec.bat and they were practically empty. They now only load the
    codepage and the CD-ROM driver. The effect of this is that Netware
    reports 66112KB of RAM.

    I tried using the command 'register memory' both at the server prompt
    and in the startup.ncf file, although many sources say this shouldn't
    be needed it Netware 4.x. It just displays the error that the memory is
    already registered. I used the following command:
    'register memory 4000000 14000000'
    So that should be from 64MB (the reported size) to 320M (the actual
    size). I also tried with 1000000 (16MB) as start number but that also
    failed.

    I tried upgrading the computers' BIOS, but it was already up-to-date to
    the latest version.

    I also tried combining removing the memory managers from DOS and using
    'register memory' (so with mm's and with reg..mem, without mm's but
    with reg..mem, with mm's and without reg..mem and finally without mm's
    and without reg..mem). Nothing worked.

    A little more information about the system:
    500Mhz Pentium III Katmai
    320MB RAM split into a 64MB and a 256MB SDRAM module.
    15GB Hard disk.

    MS DOS 6.22
    Netware 4.11

    Does anyone have any more suggestions?

  2. Re: Netware 4.11 doesn't recognise all memory

    thomasvk@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've already searched extensively on this, but couldn't find a working
    > solution. I have a Netware 4.11 server with 320MB RAM. The BIOS
    > displays the RAM size correctly and multile OS's too (booted from a
    > Linux Live CD and a Windows BartPE CD and they both reported 320MB).
    > But when I type 'memory' in Netware, it only displays 64000KB.
    > There are several solutions to this, none of which worked correctly

    I saw this same issue when I initially walked into a NetWare 4.11
    environment at a previous job.
    http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...i?10013096.htm
    (TID 10013096) I believe was my solution.

    I know you said you've already tried this TID. Perhaps the
    HIMEM/EMM386 settings are being set somewhere else in DOS? Or perhaps
    your modifications to the files weren't saved?

    -Mike

  3. Re: Netware 4.11 doesn't recognise all memory

    Hello!

    Many thanks for your reply! I checked the files again and again and DOS
    doesn't do much else than just boot and run AUTOEXEC.BAT, so that's not
    the problem.

    BUT, I bring good news. I have solved this by installing the latest
    Netware 4.11 Support Pack, 9. I didn't know wether it was installed or
    not, but couldn't believe it wasn't. I didn't know how to check, so I
    just installed it. Right after the reboot, it already reported the
    correct amount of memory, without any further adjustments.

+ Reply to Thread