client login - Netware

This is a discussion on client login - Netware ; We have 3 winxp client 4.9 workstations and a netware 6.5 server. When I try to run SBCON you have to log in. If the #1 work station is logged in you can not log in to sbcon, if it ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. client login

    We have 3 winxp client 4.9 workstations and a netware 6.5 server. When I try
    to run SBCON you have to log in. If the #1 work station is logged in you can
    not log in to sbcon, if it is turned off you can. Another thing that
    happens, and this may be related, is that when you reboot any of the
    workstations they come up with the mapped drives disconnected, the F:\sys
    drive missing altogether, but the workstation can still see the other
    workstation. To fix it you have to log out of SBCON, sometimes this alone
    fixes it, but more often you have to restart the server. This is a real pain
    when you are doing something and have to reboot a workstation since you have
    to shut down all the others and reboot the server.

  2. Re: client login

    On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:18:23 -0600, Ron Young wrote:
    > We have 3 winxp client 4.9 workstations and a netware 6.5 server. When I try
    > to run SBCON you have to log in. If the #1 work station is logged in you can
    > not log in to sbcon, if it is turned off you can.

    Sounds like a licensing problem.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | Philosophy is to the real world as masturbation is to sex. |

  3. Re: client login

    You should be able to fix the mappings with the Login Script to map them on
    login.
    How many maximum user sessions are set for the user logging in (admin, I
    assume?).

    Are there any Windows servers on the network?

    Are you running DOS TSA? It only allows one connection at a time.

    Ken

  4. Re: client login

    "David Gersic" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:18:23 -0600, Ron Young
    > wrote:
    >> We have 3 winxp client 4.9 workstations and a netware 6.5 server. When I
    >> try
    >> to run SBCON you have to log in. If the #1 work station is logged in you
    >> can
    >> not log in to sbcon, if it is turned off you can.

    > Sounds like a licensing problem.
    >

    > --
    > | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com
    > |
    > | Philosophy is to the real world as masturbation is to sex.
    > |
    > | Email address is a spam trap. Visit the web site for contact info.

    3 have 3 work stations and a server. When I go into connection manager it
    shows peak license as 3. Shouldn't it be 4 or more?

  5. Re: client login

    On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:09:13 -0600, Ron Young wrote:
    > 3 have 3 work stations and a server. When I go into connection manager it
    > shows peak license as 3. Shouldn't it be 4 or more?

    Probably, yes. What's your actual license count?

    You might try "set nls debug=2" on the server console to see what it
    reports.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | Stay the patient course / Of little worth is your ire / The network is down
    | Email address is a spam trap. Visit the web site for contact info. |

  6. Re: client login

    > On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:09:13 -0600, Ron Young
    > wrote:
    >> 3 have 3 work stations and a server. When I go into connection manager it
    >> shows peak license as 3. Shouldn't it be 4 or more?

    > Probably, yes. What's your actual license count?
    >
    > You might try "set nls debug=2" on the server console to see what it
    > reports.

    I ran pm display and it came up with (this is with all 3 clients hooked up)
    3 licensed (2 guest) and below that 4 unlicensed. I shut down one client and
    ran it again. It showed 2 licensed (2 guest) and 4 unlicnsed. I logged onto
    netware remote manager, logged in, and ran pm display once more. It came up
    3 licensed (2 Guest) 5 unlicensed. When I tried to logg the workstation I
    had shut down in it the drives were disconnected.
    > --
    > | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com
    > |
    > | Stay the patient course / Of little worth is your ire / The network is
    > down
    > | Email address is a spam trap. Visit the web site for contact info.

  7. Re: client login

    "Ron Young" wrote in message

    > "David Gersic" wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:09:13 -0600, Ron Young
    >> wrote:
    >>> 3 have 3 work stations and a server. When I go into connection manager
    >>> it
    >>> shows peak license as 3. Shouldn't it be 4 or more?

    >> Probably, yes. What's your actual license count?
    >>
    >> You might try "set nls debug=2" on the server console to see what it
    >> reports.
    >>

    > I ran pm display and it came up with (this is with all 3 clients hooked
    > up) 3 licensed (2 guest) and below that 4 unlicensed. I shut down one
    > client and ran it again. It showed 2 licensed (2 guest) and 4 unlicnsed. I
    > logged onto netware remote manager, logged in, and ran pm display once
    > more. It came up 3 licensed (2 Guest) 5 unlicensed. When I tried to logg
    > the workstation I had shut down in it the drives were disconnected.
    >> --

    I meant 2 grace, not guest. Our network provider showed up and I mentioned
    that it may be a licensing problem but he said that it came with 5 user
    licenses. He thought it was a rights or trustee thing and worked on it for 2
    hours. Finally he said he needed to contact Novell and see what they say.
    >> | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com
    >> |
    >> | Stay the patient course / Of little worth is your ire / The network is
    >> down
    >> | Email address is a spam trap. Visit the web site for contact info. |

  8. Re: client login

    Have you read these? I know the versions aren't the same as what you may be
    running,
    but the info is pertinent.

    http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...i?10081758.htm

    http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...gi?2924115.htm

    http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...i?10058318.htm

    You might also use a sniffer like Ethereal and monitor your network to see
    what is
    being requested and by what workstation. That should help a lot and remove
    the
    guesswork.

    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...p?group_id=255

    Ken

  9. Re: client login

    Also remember, Windows grabs two connections when you login. One is
    licensed and the other
    is not. Peak licenses is the max number that has logged in, not the max
    licenses you have.

    Ken

  10. Re: client login

    "ken wilkins" wrote in message
    > Also remember, Windows grabs two connections when you login. One is
    > licensed and the other
    > is not. Peak licenses is the max number that has logged in, not the max
    > licenses you have.
    >
    > Ken

    When I ran version it had the words hard stop in it and according to Novell
    that means the terms of the licenseing agreement is broken and that it could
    mean all the licenses have been used. We're suppose to have 5 licenses, but
    I read too that a mapped drive takes a license. Each workstation has 5
    mapped drives. In remote manager it shows a bunch of connections but only a
    few with asterisks ( I think there is only 3) and another 3 without an
    asterisk, and some that says not logged in. Since we have only 3
    workstations and a server I don't know why they have all those not logged in
    ones.

  11. Re: client login

    On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 06:45:22 -0600, Ron Young wrote:
    > When I ran version it had the words hard stop in it and according to Novell
    > that means the terms of the licenseing agreement is broken and that it could
    > mean all the licenses have been used. We're suppose to have 5 licenses, but
    > I read too that a mapped drive takes a license. Each workstation has 5
    > mapped drives.

    Licenses are for connections. A mapped drive creates a connection, but a
    second mapped drive uses the connection that's already there, it doesn't
    create a new one.

    > In remote manager it shows a bunch of connections but only a
    > few with asterisks ( I think there is only 3) and another 3 without an
    > asterisk, and some that says not logged in.

    The only three that count are the authenticated ones. The other three are
    unauthenticated, and do not use a license. Not-Logged-In does not use a
    license either.

    > Since we have only 3
    > workstations and a server I don't know why they have all those not logged in
    > ones.

    You can ignore those. Various backround processes establish them, but
    they do not use a license.

    So with three machines, and a 5-user license you should be ok. That makes
    me all the more sure that you have a problem with the licensing stuff. I
    have seen that before. So I'm still curious what you'd see if you (or your
    support guy) runs the debug for the NLS licensing. That could prove useful.
    Or, you may be able to remove the current license and reinstall it. I had
    to do that once to resolve a similar problem.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | Windows 95: From the people who brought you Windows 3.0 |

  12. Re: client login

    > On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 06:45:22 -0600, Ron Young
    > wrote:
    >> When I ran version it had the words hard stop in it and according to
    >> Novell
    >> that means the terms of the licenseing agreement is broken and that it
    >> could
    >> mean all the licenses have been used. We're suppose to have 5 licenses,
    >> but
    >> I read too that a mapped drive takes a license. Each workstation has 5
    >> mapped drives.

    > Licenses are for connections. A mapped drive creates a connection, but a
    > second mapped drive uses the connection that's already there, it doesn't
    > create a new one.
    >
    >> In remote manager it shows a bunch of connections but only a
    >> few with asterisks ( I think there is only 3) and another 3 without an
    >> asterisk, and some that says not logged in.

    > The only three that count are the authenticated ones. The other three are
    > unauthenticated, and do not use a license. Not-Logged-In does not use a
    > license either.
    >
    >> Since we have only 3
    >> workstations and a server I don't know why they have all those not logged
    >> in
    >> ones.

    > You can ignore those. Various backround processes establish them, but
    > they do not use a license.
    >
    > So with three machines, and a 5-user license you should be ok. That makes
    > me all the more sure that you have a problem with the licensing stuff. I
    > have seen that before. So I'm still curious what you'd see if you (or your
    > support guy) runs the debug for the NLS licensing. That could prove
    > useful.
    > Or, you may be able to remove the current license and reinstall it. I had
    > to do that once to resolve a similar problem.
    >
    > -

    Dave, I tried that set nls debug=2 and it said something about parameters
    for nls. On the help file it gave a 0 or 1 to use but I didn't know if I
    should try them or not. Also, I went down today to check the connections
    manager and when I logged in it gave 8 asterisks for the what looked like
    the same server connection and another for, I think it was sms. I'll talk to
    the support guy tuesday but unless he starts thinking in that direction
    anything I say goes in one ear and out the other. Thanks for the help
    though. I wish I knew more about it so I'd know where to look on the server.
    > | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com
    > |
    > | Windows 95: From the people who brought you Windows 3.0
    > |
    > | Email address is a spam trap. Visit the web site for contact info.

  13. Re: client login

    Ron,
    I think there needs to be a clarification of the term 'Hard Stop'. That
    doesn't mean
    that all licenses are used up. It only means that when (and if) all
    licenses are used
    by logins, that more have to to be added to get more logins available.

    A quote from their KB:
    " customer typed Version to determine if the licenses are installed and he
    saw the words (HARD STOP) in the results statement. This indicates that the
    amount of user access licenses installed when completely consumed will
    require the user to add more licenses before a new user is allowed to login.
    "

    Note the words "when completely consumed".

    When looking at licensing, (including some Novell auditing), if you exceed
    your licenses of say,
    some desktop utility, you may use another instance of it without having
    licenses, and the auditing
    software will alert the sys admin that the number of licenses has been
    exceeded.
    This is used by admins to keep track of # of licenses used over time, so you
    can purchase more
    licenses and stay legal.

    The alternative to this is what you are seeing with 'hard stop'. That
    means, when you hit the
    max license number, you can't use another instance of that software.
    period. It won't let you.
    thus, the term "hard stop". If you are only using 3 of your 5, then you
    have two more to use.
    Remember, you are seeing the 'VERSION INFO" . Static information, not
    created at the
    moment you typed it. The command that creates that info on the screen
    for you is not a utility that samples how many licenses are actually being
    used.

    Does that make sense?

    I've talked to Novell engineers before and they confirm the above. What
    they told you, I believe,
    was a guess. I have ran systems for years that have had only 10 of 30
    licenses in use and the
    version info still says 'hard stop'. I am not trying to beat you up here,
    but trying to clarify that it is
    reporting the parameters of the licensing, not reporting what is actually in
    use.

    Hope that helps.

    Ken

  14. Re: client login

    > Ron,
    > I think there needs to be a clarification of the term 'Hard Stop'. That
    > doesn't mean
    > that all licenses are used up. It only means that when (and if) all
    > licenses are used
    > by logins, that more have to to be added to get more logins available.
    >
    > A quote from their KB:
    > " customer typed Version to determine if the licenses are installed and he
    > saw the words (HARD STOP) in the results statement. This indicates that
    > the amount of user access licenses installed when completely consumed will
    > require the user to add more licenses before a new user is allowed to
    > login. "
    >
    > Note the words "when completely consumed".
    >
    > When looking at licensing, (including some Novell auditing), if you
    > exceed your licenses of say,
    > some desktop utility, you may use another instance of it without having
    > licenses, and the auditing
    > software will alert the sys admin that the number of licenses has been
    > exceeded.
    > This is used by admins to keep track of # of licenses used over time, so
    > you can purchase more
    > licenses and stay legal.
    >
    > The alternative to this is what you are seeing with 'hard stop'. That
    > means, when you hit the
    > max license number, you can't use another instance of that software.
    > period. It won't let you.
    > thus, the term "hard stop". If you are only using 3 of your 5, then you
    > have two more to use.
    > Remember, you are seeing the 'VERSION INFO" . Static information, not
    > created at the
    > moment you typed it. The command that creates that info on the screen
    > for you is not a utility that samples how many licenses are actually being
    > used.
    >
    > Does that make sense?
    >
    > I've talked to Novell engineers before and they confirm the above. What
    > they told you, I believe,
    > was a guess. I have ran systems for years that have had only 10 of 30
    > licenses in use and the
    > version info still says 'hard stop'. I am not trying to beat you up here,
    > but trying to clarify that it is
    > reporting the parameters of the licensing, not reporting what is actually
    > in use.
    >
    > Hope that helps.
    >
    > Ken

    It certainly does, Ken. I'm reading as much as I can on it but it's still
    somewhat confusing. I am starting to get a clearer picture of it, though,
    thanks to you and David. I'll be checking some stuff tomorrow on it and
    hoping to hear from the server guys. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas.

  15. Re: client login

    Well, I looked in nwadmin32 and you can see a Novell+Netware6 server+650
    container object but there is no Novell+Netware6 User+650 container. Netware
    remote manager shows these available. Imanager can't seem to find anything
    when I use add licenses but each workstation has a bunch of nls files in
    windows\system\32. I called the guys that installed it and they are still
    reserching it. He said they had down loaded the netware and so it didn't
    come with a disk.
    > You should be able to fix the mappings with the Login Script to map them
    > on login.
    > How many maximum user sessions are set for the user logging in (admin, I
    > assume?).
    >
    > Are there any Windows servers on the network?
    >
    > Are you running DOS TSA? It only allows one connection at a time.
    >
    > Ken

  16. Re: client login

    Do you have Yahoo Instant Messenger? we could look at a few things together
    this evening.

    Ken
    ka_wilkins@yahoo.com

  17. Re: client login

    Ron,
    In iManager, go to Licenses: Run Serial Number Report.
    It will create a .csv file like I've attached.

    Look at mine and see the difference. This is from a test server, NW65 SBS
    with OES on it. I have x'd out the serial numbers for obvious reasons.
    I also deleted some licenses to only give the pertinent ones.

    Ken

  18. Re: client login

    Well, Ken, I've about had it with this server. I tried to run the report but
    a window kept coming up asking if I wanted to save it. After about the 20th
    time I finally managed to get out of the program. I guess i'll wait and see
    if the guys that installed it can come up with anything. I can't find a user
    license container anywhere or a .nlf file that would supposedly hold the
    user license.
    > Ron,
    > In iManager, go to Licenses: Run Serial Number Report.
    > It will create a .csv file like I've attached.
    >
    > Look at mine and see the difference. This is from a test server, NW65 SBS
    > with OES on it. I have x'd out the serial numbers for obvious reasons.
    > I also deleted some licenses to only give the pertinent ones.
    >
    > Ken

  19. Re: client login

    Contact me via Yahoo IM, I may have a solution for you.

    Ken

  20. Re: client login

    > Contact me via Yahoo IM, I may have a solution for you.
    >
    > Ken

    Ken, I was able to run the report and it came up with only the server
    license serial number and nothing else. I don't have anyway of printing it
    out as I don't have our network printer configured for the server and it's
    not hooked to the internet. What's Yahoo IM?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast