NDS4NT removal - Netware

This is a discussion on NDS4NT removal - Netware ; Here's the scenario NT4 domain, lots of user accounts but none in use (as far as we know) A handful of member servers. NDS4NT 2 installed Netware tree, again only a handful of 'member' servers, barely used We want to ...

  1. NDS4NT removal

    Here's the scenario

    NT4 domain, lots of user accounts but none in use (as far as we know)
    A handful of member servers.
    NDS4NT 2 installed

    Netware tree, again only a handful of 'member' servers, barely used

    We want to uninstall NDS4NT, so reading the docs it looks as straightforward
    as uninstalling it from the BDCs then the PDC, using the option to take all
    info from netware back into the SAM.

    However, what I can't figure out is IF the data is copied from the netware
    environment or if it's moved. I.e. If A user Jbloggs is created in the NT
    environment (and therefore with the wonders of NDS4NT a netware account is
    created) does this account disappear from netware once we uninstall NDS4NT ?

    I am hoping not because I want to mitigate any problems with any NT4-created
    accounts being used in Netware.

    Any comments appreciated (apart from 'ooh I haven't looked at that for
    years!' :-)

    Colin

  2. Re: NDS4NT removal

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:53:41 +0000 (UTC), Colin Chaplin wrote:
    > However, what I can't figure out is IF the data is copied from the netware
    > environment or if it's moved. I.e. If A user Jbloggs is created in the NT
    > environment (and therefore with the wonders of NDS4NT a netware account is
    > created) does this account disappear from netware once we uninstall NDS4NT ?

    "ooh, I haven't looked at that for years!" ... Sorry, had to say it.
    But, from what I recall, the accounts are not deleted from NDS, just
    the data from them is copied back in to the local SAM on the domain
    controller.

    Should be safe to do this, but as always, test it first to be sure.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | He's so dense that light bends around him. |

  3. Re: NDS4NT removal

    What was created in NDS4NT will be lost when it is uninstalled. After
    all, that is the database that holds the information.

    Colin Chaplin wrote:
    > Here's the scenario
    >
    > NT4 domain, lots of user accounts but none in use (as far as we know)
    > A handful of member servers.
    > NDS4NT 2 installed
    >
    > Netware tree, again only a handful of 'member' servers, barely used
    >
    > We want to uninstall NDS4NT, so reading the docs it looks as straightforward
    > as uninstalling it from the BDCs then the PDC, using the option to take all
    > info from netware back into the SAM.
    >
    > However, what I can't figure out is IF the data is copied from the netware
    > environment or if it's moved. I.e. If A user Jbloggs is created in the NT
    > environment (and therefore with the wonders of NDS4NT a netware account is
    > created) does this account disappear from netware once we uninstall NDS4NT ?
    >
    > I am hoping not because I want to mitigate any problems with any NT4-created
    > accounts being used in Netware.
    >
    > Any comments appreciated (apart from 'ooh I haven't looked at that for
    > years!' :-)
    >
    > Colin

  4. Re: NDS4NT removal

    "In Disguise" wrote in message
    > What was created in NDS4NT will be lost when it is uninstalled. After
    > all, that is the database that holds the information.

    That's not what the novel docs suggest. The tell me I can either return the
    NT domain to the state it was before the install (what you suggest) OR it
    can take all info FROM NDS and put it back in the SAM

+ Reply to Thread