Running Netware 4.11 on a modern server. - Netware

This is a discussion on Running Netware 4.11 on a modern server. - Netware ; Assuming that there are drivers available for the disk controller and network card are there any reason why Netware 4.11 would not run on a server with a modern processor ? Stuart....

  1. Running Netware 4.11 on a modern server.

    Assuming that there are drivers available for the disk controller and
    network card are there any reason why Netware 4.11 would not run on a
    server with a modern processor ?

    Stuart.

  2. Re: Running Netware 4.11 on a modern server.

    On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:29 +0100 (BST), Stuart Robinson wrote:
    > Assuming that there are drivers available for the disk controller and
    > network card

    These will, of course, be the tricky part.

    > there any reason why Netware 4.11 would not run on a
    > server with a modern processor ?

    No, it should work fine on almost any CPU that is 386/486/Pentium
    compatible.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | I refuse to star in your psychodrama. |

  3. Re: Running Netware 4.11 on a modern server.

    On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:29 +0100 (BST), Stuartr@nospam.please (Stuart
    Robinson) wrote:

    >Assuming that there are drivers available for the disk controller and
    >network card are there any reason why Netware 4.11 would not run on a
    >server with a modern processor ?

    I've just done more or less the same with 3.12. Make sure you've got
    all patches handy including disk drivers, network cards and SCSI
    cards. I ran into problems with disk drive size unrecognised with the
    original drivers and the originally supplied Adaptec drivers. Later
    patches worked.

    I found all that I needed from the Novell site.

    --
    AnthonyL

  4. Re: Running Netware 4.11 on a modern server.

    In article David Gersic writes:
    $On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:29 +0100 (BST), Stuart Robinson wrote:
    $> Assuming that there are drivers available for the disk controller and
    $> network card
    $
    $These will, of course, be the tricky part.

    Indeed. And possibly for other hardware; I was recently asked to
    add a nice new high-capacity tape drive to a server running 4.11, and
    couldn't do it. The tape drive manufacturer doesn't provide drivers;
    they expect it to work with NetWare's built-in generic tape driver or
    with a backup app's specialized tape driver. Even the latest
    Novell tape driver for 4.11 has no clue what an LTO tape drive is
    and won't load. The old tape backup software (since current versions
    don't support as far back as 4.11) also doesn't have any clue what an
    LTO drive is and won't load.

    I'm rather disappointed, actually; I have worked with a Unix
    flavour for many years which, in addition to specific drivers for
    specific types of tape drives, also has a generic SCSI tape driver
    which will successfully work with almost any SCSI tape drive (albeit
    with limited features; no partitioning, for instance, or fast seeks,
    but reading and writing data work perfectly well, and after all,
    reading and writing are the primary requirements for a tape backup
    system). So I know it's possible to write a generic SCSI tape driver
    which could be used as a last resort, but apparently neither Novell
    nor Veritas knows how to do this.

    Anyway, I just wanted to point out that there while the disk/SCSI
    and NIC drivers are the obvious ones, it's still possible to run into
    other compatibility problems using modern hardware with antique
    NetWare versions. If you can find drivers for NetWare 5, they'll
    often work on 4.11 as long as you've updated all the other
    NWPA and similar components (which can sometimes be a bit of a
    chicken-and-egg problem; you need to install the updates before
    you can access the hard drive or network, but you may need to
    be able to access the hard drive or network in order to install
    the updates).

    $> there any reason why Netware 4.11 would not run on a
    $> server with a modern processor ?
    $
    $No, it should work fine on almost any CPU that is 386/486/Pentium
    $compatible.

    The above client is running it on a Compaq ProLiant ML330
    PIII/933 with a 400- or 500-series RAID array. That's quite a
    few years more recent than NetWare 4.11 but it works just fine;
    in fact, that server tends to stay up for >200 days at a time
    before it needs to be rebooted (most recently to add more RAM,
    and I think the time before that was due to it needing to be
    unplugged to do some work in the server room).
    --
    Stephen M. Dunn