Slow Server - Netware

This is a discussion on Slow Server - Netware ; My NetWare 5.0 server has gotten really, really slow, even though the utilization number is staying small. When I look at NetWare Volume Statistics I see that the Used Space is listed as a negative number, which seems possibly related. ...

  1. Slow Server

    My NetWare 5.0 server has gotten really, really slow, even though the
    utilization number is staying small. When I look at NetWare Volume
    Statistics I see that the Used Space is listed as a negative number,
    which seems possibly related.

    I tried repairing the volume, but it didn't make a difference.

    Any advice?

    --
    Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Bolen Books.
    Dale Friesen, Sysadmin

  2. Re: Slow Server

    dfriesen@amtsgi.bc.ca (Dale Friesen) wrote in
    news:1125752701.51dfbe46c1a10012a9d2fc0889009156@t eranews:

    > My NetWare 5.0 server has gotten really, really slow, even though the
    > utilization number is staying small. When I look at NetWare Volume
    > Statistics I see that the Used Space is listed as a negative number,
    > which seems possibly related.
    >
    > I tried repairing the volume, but it didn't make a difference.
    >
    > Any advice?

    Check if the volume is running full. And check if you are running out of
    memory; the Total Cache Buffers should be about 50% of Original Cache
    Buffers. Dirty Cache Buffers should be at 0 most of the time, as should
    Current Disk Requests.

    HTH,
    Erik Klausen

  3. Re: Slow Server

    Erik Klausen wrote:

    > dfriesen@amtsgi.bc.ca (Dale Friesen) wrote in
    > news:1125752701.51dfbe46c1a10012a9d2fc0889009156@t eranews:
    >
    > > My NetWare 5.0 server has gotten really, really slow, even though the
    > > utilization number is staying small. When I look at NetWare Volume
    > > Statistics I see that the Used Space is listed as a negative number,
    > > which seems possibly related.
    > >
    > > I tried repairing the volume, but it didn't make a difference.
    > >
    > > Any advice?

    > Check if the volume is running full. And check if you are running out of
    > memory; the Total Cache Buffers should be about 50% of Original Cache
    > Buffers. Dirty Cache Buffers should be at 0 most of the time, as should
    > Current Disk Requests.

    Thanks!

    The volume is less than half full. Total Cache Buffers is about 70% of
    Original Cache Buffers. Dirty Cache Buffers is usually under 30, but
    rarely at 0. Current Disk Requests is consistently at 0. Utilization is
    almost always under 10%, and is often at 0%.

    I'll get some more memory. What harm, eh?

    --
    Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Bolen Books.
    Dale Friesen, Sysadmin
    Bolen Books, Inc Victoria, BC Canada
    root@bolen.bc.ca http://www.bolen.bc.ca

  4. Re: Slow Server

    Erik Klausen wrote:

    > dfriesen@amtsgi.bc.ca (Dale Friesen) wrote in
    > news:1125752701.51dfbe46c1a10012a9d2fc0889009156@t eranews:
    >
    > > My NetWare 5.0 server has gotten really, really slow, even though the
    > > utilization number is staying small. When I look at NetWare Volume
    > > Statistics I see that the Used Space is listed as a negative number,
    > > which seems possibly related.
    > >
    > > I tried repairing the volume, but it didn't make a difference.
    > >
    > > Any advice?

    > Check if the volume is running full. And check if you are running out of
    > memory; the Total Cache Buffers should be about 50% of Original Cache
    > Buffers. Dirty Cache Buffers should be at 0 most of the time, as should
    > Current Disk Requests.

    Thanks!

    The volume is less than half full. Total Cache Buffers is about 70% of
    Original Cache Buffers. Dirty Cache Buffers is usually under 30, but
    rarely at 0. Current Disk Requests is consistently at 0. Utilization is
    almost always under 10%, and is often at 0%.

    I'll get some more memory. What harm, eh?

    --
    Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Bolen Books.
    Dale Friesen, Sysadmin
    Bolen Books, Inc Victoria, BC Canada
    root@bolen.bc.ca http://www.bolen.bc.ca

  5. Re: Slow Server

    dfriesen@amtsgi.bc.ca (Dale Friesen) wrote in
    news:1125781864.65767853b8adce244999a2b4ce9e5eb2@t eranews:

    > The volume is less than half full. Total Cache Buffers is about 70% of
    > Original Cache Buffers. Dirty Cache Buffers is usually under 30, but
    > rarely at 0. Current Disk Requests is consistently at 0. Utilization is
    > almost always under 10%, and is often at 0%.
    >
    > I'll get some more memory. What harm, eh?

    Well, it doesn't look like it would help. Perhaps you should check the
    network, first of all, check speed and duplex settings.

    Erik.

  6. Re: Slow Server

    Dale Friesen wrote:

    > Erik Klausen wrote:
    >
    >> dfriesen@amtsgi.bc.ca (Dale Friesen) wrote in
    >> news:1125752701.51dfbe46c1a10012a9d2fc0889009156@t eranews:
    >>
    >> > My NetWare 5.0 server has gotten really, really slow, even though the
    >> > utilization number is staying small. When I look at NetWare Volume
    >> > Statistics I see that the Used Space is listed as a negative number,
    >> > which seems possibly related.
    >> >
    >> > I tried repairing the volume, but it didn't make a difference.
    >> >
    >> > Any advice?

    >> Check if the volume is running full. And check if you are running out of
    >> memory; the Total Cache Buffers should be about 50% of Original Cache
    >> Buffers. Dirty Cache Buffers should be at 0 most of the time, as should
    >> Current Disk Requests.

    > Thanks!
    >
    > The volume is less than half full. Total Cache Buffers is about 70% of
    > Original Cache Buffers. Dirty Cache Buffers is usually under 30, but
    > rarely at 0. Current Disk Requests is consistently at 0. Utilization is
    > almost always under 10%, and is often at 0%.
    >
    > I'll get some more memory. What harm, eh?
    >
    > --
    > Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Bolen Books.
    > Dale Friesen, Sysadmin
    > Bolen Books, Inc Victoria, BC Canada
    > root@bolen.bc.ca http://www.bolen.bc.ca

    Hi,

    - What do you mean by slow ?
    - Why do you that your server is slow and not your network ?
    - What is the exact action you are running like copy a file from or to
    server, printing.... ?
    - Did you ever use a cross over cable with a client directly connected
    to the server running the same process which seems to be slow ?

    Klaus

  7. Re: Slow Server

    ekl@host.domain wrote:

    > dfriesen@amtsgi.bc.ca (Dale Friesen) wrote in
    > news:1125752701.51dfbe46c1a10012a9d2fc0889009156@t eranews:
    >
    >> My NetWare 5.0 server has gotten really, really slow, even though the
    >> utilization number is staying small. When I look at NetWare Volume
    >> Statistics I see that the Used Space is listed as a negative number,
    >> which seems possibly related.
    >>
    >> I tried repairing the volume, but it didn't make a difference.
    >>
    >> Any advice?

    > Check if the volume is running full. And check if you are running out
    > of memory; the Total Cache Buffers should be about 50% of Original
    > Cache Buffers. Dirty Cache Buffers should be at 0 most of the time, as
    > should Current Disk Requests.

    I'm having a similar issue. Browsing the users folder on the SYS volume
    becomes extremely slow. At one point the users folder disappeared, which
    is a little frightening. At that point I downed the server. This process
    normally takes 1 or 2 minutes, but this time it took about 15 to 20
    minutes before everything was shut down and I could start it up again.
    It came up fine and things started working normally for a while. A few
    hours later, things started slowing to a crawl again.

    From system monitor:

    SYS 68400 MB capacity 80% full
    VOL1 69984 MB capacity 75% full
    Utilization: 0%