dsl modem - Netware

This is a discussion on dsl modem - Netware ; We have a netware 6.5 server but we want to connect our dsl modem to a workstation. Is there a way to use the server router connection to that workstation to allow 3 other workstations connected to the server router ...

  1. dsl modem

    We have a netware 6.5 server but we want to connect our dsl modem to a
    workstation. Is there a way to use the server router connection to that
    workstation to allow 3 other workstations connected to the server router to
    access the internet?

    Thanks

  2. Re: dsl modem

    I thought I better add some more info. The clients would be winXP pro
    desktops connected to a hub that the server connects to. The DSL modem would
    hook to an ethernet card in one of the clients?
    "Ron Young" wrote in message
    > We have a netware 6.5 server but we want to connect our dsl modem to a
    > workstation. Is there a way to use the server router connection to that
    > workstation to allow 3 other workstations connected to the server router
    > to access the internet?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: dsl modem

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:19:09 -0500, Ron Young wrote:
    > We have a netware 6.5 server but we want to connect our dsl modem to a
    > workstation.

    You are pretty confused here. If you connect this DSL modem to a workstation,
    then that workstation would have to act as a router.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | EMACS: Equine Mammals Are Considerably Smaller |

  4. Re: dsl modem

    Yes,
    would the other workstations be able to connect through the server to that
    dsl connected workstation or would the workstations have to have a seperate
    nic connected to that workstation?
    "David Gersic" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:19:09 -0500, Ron Young
    > wrote:
    >> We have a netware 6.5 server but we want to connect our dsl modem to a
    >> workstation.

    > You are pretty confused here. If you connect this DSL modem to a
    > workstation,
    > then that workstation would have to act as a router.
    >
    > --
    > | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com
    > |
    > | EMACS: Equine Mammals Are Considerably Smaller
    > |
    > | Email address is a spam trap. Visit the web site for contact info.

  5. Re: dsl modem

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:13:02 -0500, Ron Young wrote:
    > Yes,
    > would the other workstations be able to connect through the server to that
    > dsl connected workstation or would the workstations have to have a seperate
    > nic connected to that workstation?

    You don't seem to understand what you're doing here, or trying to do. I
    think I can kinda make out what you want, but realistically your best
    bet is to hire somebody to come set it up for you. It'll save you a lot
    of time in the long run, and is more likely to lead to a positive
    conclusion.

    To answer your questions:

    No, your other workstations will _not_ connect through the server to the
    other workstation to share its DSL connection. Yes, there are ways to
    share a single connection, and you probably do want to use one of them.
    Depending on what DSL service you get, and what it provides, this may be
    a moot point entirely.

    Adding more NICs to your workstations is not going to help anything.
    Don't bother.

    Really. Trust me on this. Hire somebody to help you set this up. Perhaps
    your ISP or DSL provider can recommend somebody. You need somebody that
    understands IP routing and can set up whatever it is that you're trying
    to do here.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | Quayle Virus - Their is sumthing rong with yor compueter. |

+ Reply to Thread