Checking users - Netware

This is a discussion on Checking users - Netware ; I have a recently restored 3.11g server. That noone can connet too. How do I look at the users and groups if I can't connect to the machine? What can I run from the Novell Console to view users and ...

  1. Checking users

    I have a recently restored 3.11g server. That noone can connet too.
    How do I look at the users and groups if I can't connect to the
    machine? What can I run from the Novell Console to view users and
    groups? I think the Bindery is messed up, but since I can't connect, I
    can't run Bindrest.

    Waht can I do?

    Dan

  2. Re: Checking users

    On 3 Jun 2005 14:01:24 -0700, guzzy wrote:
    > I have a recently restored 3.11g server. That noone can connet too.

    Restored from what? How? And why?

    > How do I look at the users and groups if I can't connect to the
    > machine? What can I run from the Novell Console to view users and
    > groups?

    You don't. All NW3.11 user/group management is done from a workstation
    connection.

    > I think the Bindery is messed up, but since I can't connect, I
    > can't run Bindrest.

    Why do you think the bindery is messed up? What symptoms are you seeing
    that lead you to that conclusion?

    It's been a _long_ time since I had to break in to a NW3 server, but
    from what I recall, if the bindery won't open at all you don't have a
    lot of options. You need a disk editor, one like the old Norton Utilities
    came with that could edit disks sector by sector, and you have to find
    the FAT entries for the bindery files. Google should turn up the names
    you're looking for, and I seem to recall that you'll find them in more
    than one place (two places probably). You edit the names to something
    else, then boot the server.

    On bootup, it will notice that there is no bindery, and will create a
    new blank one. At this point, you can log in as Supervisor (no password),
    and if you did the disk edit right, you can get the bindery files and
    use BINDREST.EXE to put them back.

    --
    | David Gersic www.zaccaria-pinball.com dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | For every economist, there exists an equal and opposite economist. |

  3. Re: Checking users

    On 3 Jun 2005 14:01:24 -0700, guzzy wrote:
    > I have a recently restored 3.11g server.

    http://www.outpost9.com/how-to/novel/nwhack1.html

    Some quick Googling turned this page up, along with many others, showing
    how to use the debugger to bypass the security system, and how to use a
    disk editor to bypass a broken bindery.

    --
    | David Gersic www.zaccaria-pinball.com dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Railroad grade crossing collisions.....Evolution in Action. |

  4. Re: Checking users

    guzzy wrote:
    > I have a recently restored 3.11g server. That noone can connet too.
    > How do I look at the users and groups if I can't connect to the
    > machine? What can I run from the Novell Console to view users and
    > groups? I think the Bindery is messed up, but since I can't connect, I
    > can't run Bindrest.
    >
    > Waht can I do?
    >

    > Dan

    Hi Dan, it's been a long time since I last looked at Nw3.x but from
    memory SYSCON is the util to use. I think this can be run from the console.

+ Reply to Thread