missing data - Netware

This is a discussion on missing data - Netware ; The main software program we use, called their support and they decided the system was pretty old so they called a compaq service center and told us he would be there the next morning. He shows up and $300 later ...

  1. missing data

    The main software program we use, called their support and they decided the
    system was pretty old so they called a compaq service center and told us he
    would be there the next morning. He shows up and $300 later says the hard
    drive is messed up and they can put us in another for $800 more. Still can't
    find misssing data. I call another outfit and tell them what we have and
    they order a scsi drive overnight. I had to drive 30 miles to meet them half
    way.
    Get back, unwrap it and its the wrong drive. Call them back and they had
    failed to read the fine print on the specs. Another one should be here
    Tuesday, the day before I go on vacation. Our software support called today
    and was showing me how to check backups. Info on arcserveIT manager says we
    didn't have a backup since 25 March. I told him all our records are lost
    back to 25 march and that evidently includes all the arcserveIT files too.
    Told me our stuff is real old and maybe a service contract is the way to go.
    I told him the reason we bought that $2400 Dat drive was so if something
    happens we wouldn't lose everything, yet for some reason the server and Dat
    cratered at the exact same time. Now my boss is thinking of going back to
    the paper file system and not have anything to do with computers at all
    since it seems to cost us $15000 every five years and still have
    catastrophic failures with no recovery. I don't agree with the concept that
    you need to have a network administrator on the payroll when you only have 3
    employees and one main software program you use. And it really grinds me
    when they say it may be something you did when all you are doing is the
    daily work with the program and you were told everything else is automated
    and if something happens just give them a call -at a charge, of course. Oh,
    well, stuff happens. The scsi drive should be in next Tuesday and the ASR
    should put it back in. I've got a good tape back up and I copied the working
    folder over to one of the workstations. Thanks for the Posts but I have no
    idea why that last 2 months of data disappeared and so far nobody else seems
    to know.

  2. Re: missing data

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 19:26:43 -0500, Ron Young wrote:
    [-tale of woe snipped-]
    > catastrophic failures with no recovery. I don't agree with the concept that
    > you need to have a network administrator on the payroll when you only have 3
    > employees and one main software program you use.

    You may not need a proper sysadmin all the time, but you may want to
    consider having one on at least a part time basis. It has to be somebody's
    job to know the system that your business depends on, and to ensure that
    the system is working correctly (and to fix it when it isn't). What you're
    doing now is kinda like owning a car, but only ever putting gas in the tank.

    > And it really grinds me
    > when they say it may be something you did when all you are doing is the
    > daily work with the program and you were told everything else is automated
    > and if something happens just give them a call

    I doubt that it was something you did, even inadvertantly. You have had some
    kind of failure. What kind, I'm not quite sure, but that happens. Even things
    that are automated need to be checked up on (as you've discovered) and
    tested to ensure that they're working the way they're supposed to. Whoever
    told you otherwise was wrong.

    --
    | David Gersic www.zaccaria-pinball.com dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Washington, DC: America's work-free drug place. |

  3. Re: missing data

    Yeah, you're right. We were sailing happily along and then hit a reef, only
    then noticing we had no life boats.
    I'm going to put the new hard drive in and then call our program support to
    see if they can find any thing.
    "David Gersic" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 20 May 2005 19:26:43 -0500, Ron Young
    > wrote:
    > [-tale of woe snipped-]
    >> catastrophic failures with no recovery. I don't agree with the concept
    >> that
    >> you need to have a network administrator on the payroll when you only
    >> have 3
    >> employees and one main software program you use.

    > You may not need a proper sysadmin all the time, but you may want to
    > consider having one on at least a part time basis. It has to be somebody's
    > job to know the system that your business depends on, and to ensure that
    > the system is working correctly (and to fix it when it isn't). What you're
    > doing now is kinda like owning a car, but only ever putting gas in the
    > tank.
    >
    >> And it really grinds me
    >> when they say it may be something you did when all you are doing is the
    >> daily work with the program and you were told everything else is
    >> automated
    >> and if something happens just give them a call

    > I doubt that it was something you did, even inadvertantly. You have had
    > some
    > kind of failure. What kind, I'm not quite sure, but that happens. Even
    > things
    > that are automated need to be checked up on (as you've discovered) and
    > tested to ensure that they're working the way they're supposed to. Whoever
    > told you otherwise was wrong.
    >

    > --
    > | David Gersic www.zaccaria-pinball.com dgersic_@_niu.edu
    > |
    > | Washington, DC: America's work-free drug place.
    > |
    > | Email address is munged to avoid spammers. Remove the underscores.

+ Reply to Thread