NDS NetLib functions and unicode (UNI*.*) files - Netware

This is a discussion on NDS NetLib functions and unicode (UNI*.*) files - Netware ; Knowledge base for NetLib 6.5 notes that to use NDS functionality you need to have unicode (UNI*.*) files in the path (see http://www.netlib.com/regusr/n00068.htm ). I've noticed a big disparity between the number of unicode files in SYS:\PUBLIC\NLS (about 500) and ...

  1. NDS NetLib functions and unicode (UNI*.*) files

    Knowledge base for NetLib 6.5 notes that to use NDS functionality you
    need to have unicode (UNI*.*) files in the path (see
    http://www.netlib.com/regusr/n00068.htm).

    I've noticed a big disparity between the number of unicode files in
    SYS:\PUBLIC\NLS (about 500) and C:\WinNT\System32\NLS (about 50).

    The Unicode Files Explained article I found at
    http://www.dreamlan.com/ndsnotes.htm#unicode states that "typically
    only four unicode files are needed at any one time. The names of two of
    the files varies depending on the country code and codepage settings on
    your workstation".

    Does anybody know whether this is true for NetLib as well?

    Also, did the unicode files themselves change between Windows and
    Netware versions? If so, would it be reasonable to expect that this
    legacy library is compatible with "old" unicode files only?

  2. Re: NDS NetLib functions and unicode (UNI*.*) files

    On 11 May 2005 12:38:15 -0700, E. Fridman wrote:
    > Knowledge base for NetLib 6.5 notes that to use NDS functionality you
    > need to have unicode (UNI*.*) files in the path (see
    > http://www.netlib.com/regusr/n00068.htm).

    This is likely to be correct. The start to any NDS aware program is
    to initialize the libraries, and the init call has to find the Unicode
    stuff on the path.

    > The Unicode Files Explained article I found at
    > http://www.dreamlan.com/ndsnotes.htm#unicode states that "typically
    > only four unicode files are needed at any one time. The names of two of
    > the files varies depending on the country code and codepage settings on
    > your workstation".
    >
    > Does anybody know whether this is true for NetLib as well?

    The unicode files are mostly irrelevant. Yes, only the ones for the
    current language will be used, and unless you're actually *using*
    them, you'll never need them.

    --
    | David Gersic www.zaccaria-pinball.com dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Windows NT: No Thanks; Not Trusted, Not Today, Not Tomorrow. |

  3. Re: NDS NetLib functions and unicode (UNI*.*) files

    David,

    Thank you very much for the reply.

    NetLib is a "black box" to me. I do not know its internals. Since its
    authors published a knowledgebase article about this requirement I
    accept it
    as such.

    When we were investigating one of the problems in the field we've
    discovered
    that restoring the search drive mapping to the PUBLIC/NLS directory on
    the
    SYS volume has eliminated the malfunction. The PATH did include local
    NLS
    directory from Win'NT all the time.

    Eugene
    "David Gersic" wrote in message
    > On 11 May 2005 12:38:15 -0700, E. Fridman wrote:
    > > Knowledge base for NetLib 6.5 notes that to use NDS functionality

    you
    > > need to have unicode (UNI*.*) files in the path (see
    > > http://www.netlib.com/regusr/n00068.htm).

    > This is likely to be correct. The start to any NDS aware program is
    > to initialize the libraries, and the init call has to find the

    Unicode
    > stuff on the path.
    >

    > > The Unicode Files Explained article I found at
    > > http://www.dreamlan.com/ndsnotes.htm#unicode states that "typically
    > > only four unicode files are needed at any one time. The names of

    two of
    > > the files varies depending on the country code and codepage

    settings on
    > > your workstation".
    > >
    > > Does anybody know whether this is true for NetLib as well?

    > The unicode files are mostly irrelevant. Yes, only the ones for the
    > current language will be used, and unless you're actually *using*
    > them, you'll never need them.
    >

    > --
    > | David Gersic www.zaccaria-pinball.com

    dgersic_@_niu.edu