Netware 4.2 - can't use memory above 64 MB - Netware

This is a discussion on Netware 4.2 - can't use memory above 64 MB - Netware ; Hi there, may be a stupid problem: server with Netware 4.2 SP9 (Pentium 166), 64 MB RAM. Everything works well. I upgraded the memory up to 128 MB, the BIOS recognizes it, but not Netware. the command screen says after ...

  1. Netware 4.2 - can't use memory above 64 MB

    Hi there,

    may be a stupid problem: server with Netware 4.2 SP9 (Pentium 166), 64 MB
    RAM. Everything works well. I upgraded the memory up to 128 MB, the BIOS
    recognizes it, but not Netware. the command screen says after the
    'memory'-command: 64 MB. What's going wrong??

    Ebi

  2. Re: Netware 4.2 - can't use memory above 64 MB

    "Eberhard Urban" wrote in
    newsp.sqdivhive6bv5l@localhost:

    > may be a stupid problem: server with Netware 4.2 SP9 (Pentium 166), 64
    > MB RAM. Everything works well. I upgraded the memory up to 128 MB,
    > the BIOS recognizes it, but not Netware. the command screen says
    > after the 'memory'-command: 64 MB. What's going wrong??

    You must register memory in the older versions of Netware. The command to
    put in STARTUP.NCF is:

    Set auto register memory above 16 megabytes=on

    or, if that doesn't work,

    REGISTER MEMORY 1000000 7000000

    The register process is described in

    http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...?/10018941.htm
    or
    http://www.novell.com/documentation/...c/utlrfenu.pdf
    under REGISTER MEMORY.

    HTH,
    Erik Klausen

  3. Re: Netware 4.2 - can't use memory above 64 MB

    Thanks for your help, but it didn't help; Netware recognizes only 64 MB as
    well. I found an advice in the 'Online-docu' which told me, that Netware
    4.2 is able to manage a maximum of 64 MB. Is this right ?!?!?!?! Is there
    any trick to manage more than this 64 MB ?

    Eberhard

    --
    Erstellt mit M2, Operas revolutionärem E-Mail-Modul:
    http://www.opera.com/m2/

  4. Re: Netware 4.2 - can't use memory above 64 MB

    The message
    from Eberhard Urban contains these words:

    > Thanks for your help, but it didn't help; Netware recognizes only 64 MB as
    > well. I found an advice in the 'Online-docu' which told me, that Netware
    > 4.2 is able to manage a maximum of 64 MB. Is this right ?!?!?!?! Is there
    > any trick to manage more than this 64 MB ?

    That seems a most unlikely limitation to me. I've just issued the
    memory command from my Netware 3.12 server console and it shows "261,690
    Kilobytes". At one time, there used to be a couple of 256MB modules
    fitted until I found a better use for one of them.

    Incidently, it's almost certain that the add memory command will be
    redundent by now. That certainly became the case with 3.12 after all the
    patch updates had been applied.

    I suspect you're in need of the latest patch updates from Novell
    (BICBW, it's been years since I last applied any patches, and only to my
    3.12 server. I've never had the pleasure of knowing any 4.xx flavours of
    netware.)

    --
    Regards, John.

    To reply directly, please remove "buttplug" .Mail via the
    "Reply Direct" button and Spam-bots will be rejected.

  5. Re: Netware 4.2 - can't use memory above 64 MB

    I found the reason for my problem: in my config.sys-file of the DOS
    partition was the entry with the himem.sys-driver. When it is loaded,
    Netware is limited to 64 MB; when it is not loaded, Netware recognizes 128
    MB. I heard about that in former times, but it seems that I
    had forgotten this fact.

    Thanks to all for your help and advice.

    Eberhard

    Am Sat, 4 Jun 2005 02:41:12 +0100 schrieb Johnny B Good
    :

    --
    Erstellt mit M2, Operas revolutionärem E-Mail-Modul:
    http://www.opera.com/m2/

+ Reply to Thread