Does Netware 5.1 support pure IP? - Netware

This is a discussion on Does Netware 5.1 support pure IP? - Netware ; Or is it using IPX encapsulated within IP? The reason I ask is, for our remote offices connecting via VPN through the internet, or even leased line all IP traffic flies, but any Netware traffic is slow as hell. Thanks, ...

  1. Does Netware 5.1 support pure IP?

    Or is it using IPX encapsulated within IP?

    The reason I ask is, for our remote offices connecting via VPN through
    the internet, or even leased line all IP traffic flies, but any Netware
    traffic is slow as hell.

    Thanks,
    Loren

  2. Re: Does Netware 5.1 support pure IP?

    Loren Finkelstein wrote in news:lrfnewsgroups-
    12411F.15142401042005@reader1.panix.com:

    > Or is it using IPX encapsulated within IP?
    >
    > The reason I ask is, for our remote offices connecting via VPN through
    > the internet, or even leased line all IP traffic flies, but any Netware
    > traffic is slow as hell.

    When a server needs to communicate with another server, it will look up the
    servers address in eDir. This address can be an IP or an IPX address. If
    the server has IPX configured, and it finds an IPX address for the other
    server, it will use this address. This willo give you performance problems,
    since there is no IPX communication possible.

    You have two choices (if my assumption is correct):

    1. Disable IPX on the servers on all (or all but one) of the sites.
    This is done by removing the SERVERID in autoexec.ncf. It may be necessary
    to delete the configuration under INETCFG.NLM, Protocols->IPX.

    2. Open IPX tunnels to the offices. This is configured under Protocols->IPX
    in INETCFG.NLM. This will provide a tunnelled IPX connection between the
    two sites.

    HTH,
    Erik Klausen

  3. Re: Does Netware 5.1 support pure IP?

    In article ,
    Erik Klausen wrote:

    > Loren Finkelstein wrote in news:lrfnewsgroups-
    > 12411F.15142401042005@reader1.panix.com:
    >
    > > Or is it using IPX encapsulated within IP?
    > >
    > > The reason I ask is, for our remote offices connecting via VPN through
    > > the internet, or even leased line all IP traffic flies, but any Netware
    > > traffic is slow as hell.

    > When a server needs to communicate with another server, it will look up the
    > servers address in eDir. This address can be an IP or an IPX address. If
    > the server has IPX configured, and it finds an IPX address for the other
    > server, it will use this address. This willo give you performance problems,
    > since there is no IPX communication possible.
    >
    > You have two choices (if my assumption is correct):
    >
    > 1. Disable IPX on the servers on all (or all but one) of the sites.
    > This is done by removing the SERVERID in autoexec.ncf. It may be necessary
    > to delete the configuration under INETCFG.NLM, Protocols->IPX.
    >
    > 2. Open IPX tunnels to the offices. This is configured under Protocols->IPX
    > in INETCFG.NLM. This will provide a tunnelled IPX connection between the
    > two sites.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Erik Klausen

    No servers in the remote sites. Only workstations. In fact, we only
    have one Netware server.

    Same answer still apply?

  4. Re: Does Netware 5.1 support pure IP?

    Loren Finkelstein wrote in

    > No servers in the remote sites. Only workstations. In fact, we only
    > have one Netware server.
    >
    > Same answer still apply?

    Aaah... I don't think so.

    If the workstations have IPX enabled, and the VPN tunnel doesn't transport
    it, it may be your problem. But, if IPX is enabled, the tunnel must likely
    will be configured to transport it.

    Have you checked routing? That is, does the traffic from the server to the
    remote offices go to the VPN box directly?

    Is a simple file copy slow too?

    Kind regards,
    Erik Klausen

  5. Re: Does Netware 5.1 support pure IP?

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:14:24 -0500, Loren Finkelstein wrote:
    > Or is it using IPX encapsulated within IP?

    Unless you're using Compatibility Mode, then it's "pure IP" where all
    of the NCP traffic is put in IP packets. There is no IPX in use.

    > The reason I ask is, for our remote offices connecting via VPN through
    > the internet, or even leased line all IP traffic flies, but any Netware
    > traffic is slow as hell.

    Could be lots of things, need more information. Define "ip traffic" here.
    How are you testing this, and what results are you getting?

    --
    | David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Let whoever among you is without sin buy the first round. |

  6. Re: Does Netware 5.1 support pure IP?

    In article ,
    David Gersic wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:14:24 -0500, Loren Finkelstein
    > wrote:
    > > Or is it using IPX encapsulated within IP?

    > Unless you're using Compatibility Mode, then it's "pure IP" where all
    > of the NCP traffic is put in IP packets. There is no IPX in use.
    >
    > > The reason I ask is, for our remote offices connecting via VPN through
    > > the internet, or even leased line all IP traffic flies, but any Netware
    > > traffic is slow as hell.

    > Could be lots of things, need more information. Define "ip traffic" here.
    > How are you testing this, and what results are you getting?

    Logging into the Netware server, the login script windows scrolls by
    slowly. One line at a time.

    Using SMB to log into a windows machine and copy large files we
    conducted some tests. Copying the same large file from a windows C
    drive and from our Netware file server have the windows copies going an
    order of magnitude faster.

  7. Re: Does Netware 5.1 support pure IP?

    On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 10:57:14 -0400, Loren Finkelstein wrote:
    >> Could be lots of things, need more information. Define "ip traffic" here.
    >> How are you testing this, and what results are you getting?

    > Logging into the Netware server, the login script windows scrolls by
    > slowly. One line at a time.

    Ok, so that's a problem. What OS version and what service pack
    level do you havee installed? What eDir version? What client OS
    version? And probably most important, what version of Client32?
    How was it installed and configured?

    Do you have your SLP infrastructure set up and working?

    How is eDir set up? Are the users talking to a local replica, or going
    over the WAN? Licensing (NLS) will be talking to one or more servers,
    which can also play a role here depending on whether you have regular
    or "MLA" type licenses. If not MLA, then the users will have to make
    a connection to the Master replica of whatever partition they're in,
    which may or may not be what you're expecting.

    > Using SMB to log into a windows machine and copy large files we
    > conducted some tests. Copying the same large file from a windows C
    > drive and from our Netware file server have the windows copies going an
    > order of magnitude faster.

    Login traffic is usually quite different from file system (copy) traffic,
    but in this case I would expect to see the link be the bottleneck so both
    should be about the same for speed. Your results indicate some kind of
    problem.

    Can you get a copy of Ethereal (free) and do a packet trace of the login
    and file copy traffic? It might be useful to see what's going on on the
    wire.

    --
    | David Gersic www.zaccaria-pinball.com dgersic_@_niu.edu |
    | Quayle Virus - Their is sumthing rong with yor compueter. |